Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am assuming u have a rope tied to the rudder end and using it to pull it back right?
    I personally thought it would if been impossible to get that shaft turned around (once it's thru the hole) but I dunno... I got it. Just keep at. Patience and luck is what u need. (and maybe a buddy to hold a flashlight or something)

Comment

WakeWilson,
      I am getting ready to do my steering cable and have a 2007 22Ve as well. What cable did you use and where did you get it?

Comment

FirstChoiceMarine.com $147 – free shipping. It was the SSC15418 - 18'.

Good luck. It sounds like persistence is the key to this project.
        Wilson

Comment

Thanks. That is why I am glad I will have all winter to tackle this.

Comment

Is the cable for a 2004 - 24v the same?? If not do you know what cable it is.

Comment

Originally posted by Tige'Therapy View Post
              Is the cable for a 2004 - 24v the same?? If not do you know what cable it is.
              I would use a 19' cable.

Comment

I think you need a 21' cable for a 24' boat. I ordered a 21' cable so i hope i'm right.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up Lee. 2 hours and my 21I has real steering again!!!!
                  WAKELESS IN SAN DIEGO

Comment

Glad to be able to help.

Comment

Thanks for all of the advice. Seems hit or kiss on difficulty, hopeflly should go well. For me Yige's have been pretty straight forward to work on.

Any body know the part number of the steering cable for an 03 21i? Mine needs to be changed badly.

Thanks,
                      Chuck

Comment

ssc15419 should work.

Comment

For what its worth I put in the ssc15418 in my 02 21i, the original was the ssc15417, Just because I was guessing as the boat is not kept at my house. Having the extra 1 or 2 ft of cable was not problem. I believe the cost goes up for each ft. Best of luck.
                          WAKELESS IN SAN DIEGO

Comment

Thanks. I'll order it, and let you know how it turns out.

Couple of things. Is there anything I need to watch out for when I put I align the wheel, rudder and the helm?

I just don't want to put it together then have to take it apart again.

Chuck

Comment

It is defitnately a two man job. When the new cable is in and attached to the rear the last thing i did was mount the sterring box with four bolts at the steering wheel. Have you asst. make sure the rudder is straight, then install the steering box end of the cable. It comes centered that way.
                              WAKELESS IN SAN DIEGO

Comment

Thanks for all the great tips. I'm getting my boat ready for the first trip and found the steering really tight. Found this handy because the numbers were rubbed off my cable.

"If you are un-able to locate the manufacture part number for rack and pinion steering, remove and measure your existing cable as follows: Measure the plastic cable jacket in INCHES. Add 30” to that number you just measured, and round up to next foot and that is your cable length to order."

I'm going with 18' for my 22i.

Can also watch this video around the 2:00 mark.
                                http://www.teleflexmarine.com/market...g-cable-video/
                                2005 22i, Marine Power 340hp MPI, Perfect Pass, Clarion stereo, BI boom, Dorsey tandem axle, swing away tongue

Comment

Working...
                                X