Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quick tip for those finding it difficult or impossible to feed the new steering cable through the circular cutout in the floor under the helm:

When I tried this on my 20V, I kept hitting something under the floor that wouldn't allow the long metallic end of the steering cable to make it through far enough...turns out it was the gas tank. Before you freak out and go cutting new holes in the floor, take a look at the gas tank (assuming you have easy access to it by removing the floor panel like I did). There are 4 small black brackets with 2 screws each that hold the tank in place. Unscrew them, and voila - you can slide the tank forward about 6 inches (plenty to get the steering cable through). Don't forget to slide the tank back into place, and hopefully you were able to save some time and frustration...

Comment

i called tige parts and they stated that a 2001 20i uses an 18 footer... just thought I would post this hear for everyone else

Comment

Well last weekend spent 7 hr trying to change steering cable(including dissassembly) in 2006 20V yesterday pumped all the gas out of tank, unscrewed the brackets, took off big filler house (left two smaller houses attached) and slid gas tank towards the back allowing us to put more cable in under floor. Took a piece of wood and shoved cable all the way over to side of tank where there was room for nut on end and it went right thru. reassembled and was done in two hours. Just for the record throw the screws in bracket for gas tank (mine only had 5 screws in three brackets one did not have any in it at all) away and put in new they are SS and stip very easy. Not sure if stearing alignment is dead on but have not been out in 4 weeks getting ready to head to river this a.m. Thanks for all your help.

Comment

Thanks to Lee and all of the fine folks who posted their experiences changing the steering cables on their boats. What a help! My son and I change ours on our 2003 22V yesterday in less than two hours with all of your help. While we were at it we change the impeller, oil in the V-drive, ATF in the tranny and oil in the engine.

Thanks again, Happy Easter and we are headed to the lake!

Comment

HELP!!.. Steering Cable Question

Hey everyone,

Im a little new to this site, but could really use your help. I have a 07 RZ2 (original owner) and my steering is extreemly stiff. From what I have read, it seems to be the cable. The only problem is, I have no idea what size, type, brand or anything of what I should get. and I dont want to get involved in replacing it until I have the replacement to throw back in. Any help would be great. Thanks

Comment

I went back to my dealer it was about $155 including freight.

Comment

Ok guys just did my steering cable on my 06 22 i, few things I wanted to add. Loosen the 1 &1/8th nut on the cable under the access panel before removing the other bolt. Also I forgot my wrench for 1 &1/8th scrambled to find one. Anyways, I wasted a bunch of time trying to cut the cable and tape/fish through with the old cable, don't recommend. I eventually said forget it and just ripped out the old one. Only took me maybe 45 seconds to feed my new cable through. could have saved a ton of time if I did that first try. Maybe I was just lucky, can feel my soreness already. Who do they make these tiny spaces and long reaches for anyways, haha. Not that bad of a deal all in all took about 2 hours, would have been way faster without looking for a wrench and wasting time cutting cable. To take it all out only took about, 45 minutes.

Comment

Is this pretty much the same procedure for a 2008 RZ4?

Comment

I don't think so?

Comment

just wanted to say thanks to the guys that started/contributed to this thread.... got my steering cable changed in less than 2 hours on my Tige 20i... used 18 foot cable... the old one was a 17footer... everything went in great. We would have been done sooner but the guys helping me were scared to cut the old cable but after they realized it was the best way it went in smoothly

One thing I would like to add that may help someone is to use WIRE instead of rope to attach and fish thru... it worked great!

Comment

I finished changing the cable in my RZ4 last weekend. It took about four hours, including the time to watch my 4 year old ride his bike around the trailer as I was up inside it.... upside-down inside it. I learned that a flashlight and curtain rod with a wire-hanger gorilla taped on works pretty well to snag the eyelet on the end of the cable. That and a buddy twisting one end while I "fished". Pulled it through easily. The toughest part was getting that big nut off of the old cable --- the big cable housing nut just before the rudder. It might have been thread-locked on. I was disappointed that the local Tige mechanic told me such a horror story when I picked up the cable. I almost gave in and gave him the part back to put in for me. VERY GLAD I decided to forge ahead myself!

Comment

THIS FORUM IS GREAT!!!

And by the way BTW thanks for all the great posts in this thread. Hope to see ya on the lake and share a cold one someday!

Comment

Just finished my 2nd cable ( first was my 21i) now my V is done... Got a 18 foot cable and had almost a foot extra should have gotten for 17 footer.

Comment

07 RZ2 steering cable advice

So after reading the forums and actually starting on the project of replacing my cable, I have some advice specifically pertaining to an 07 RZ2.

When removing the old cable, do what everyone else said.. cut it in the center of the gas tank where the floor cover is off. your biggest problem is going to be re feeding the new line from under the helm back to the rudder above the gas tank. The 3'' hole that is already there under the fire extinguisher where your feet are at the helm isn't large enough to be able to fish the new line. Your going to need to cut the floor of your boat out about another 2-3 inches larger just up to the edge of what the fire extinguisher support will cover up. you will have to cut over to the starboard side another 1 inch as well. the cut you make is towards the rear (stern and starboard) of the boat. i used a small reciprocating saw (Milwaukee 12v) with a short blade to cut the floor our.

After you cut the floor out, its still not going to be easy. you will need an extra hand, one person to pull the rope that is tied to the eyelet of the cable and another to push it towards the back. *Note: there is a small gap between the side of the gas tank and the hull of the boat, that is where the arm that connects to the tiller arm will be going into. there is only one spot for it to go in order for you make the bend. The key is patience, a flashlight, a second hand, and some brute strength.

Don't be discouraged buy the process, i will post some pictures if i can figure it out. it was a lot of work, but in the end, totally worth it. send me an email if you have any questions.

Comment

BEFORE YOU CUT ANY HOLES IN YOUR BOAT try this:

Not to discredit the previous post, but I'd hate to see anyone go through all that work if you can just move the gas tank back temporarily. Not sure if that is an option in your boat, but I can't imagine Tige making a part that will obviously need replacing so impossible to do. Here is a post I put up a while back:

When I tried [feeding the cable back through the hole] on my 20V, I kept hitting something under the floor that wouldn't allow the long metallic end of the steering cable to make it through far enough...turns out it was the gas tank. Before you freak out and go cutting new holes in the floor, take a look at the gas tank (assuming you have easy access to it by removing the floor panel like I did). There are 4 small black brackets with 2 screws each that hold the tank in place. Unscrew them, and voila - you can slide the tank back towards the stern about 6 inches (plenty to get the steering cable through). Don't forget to slide the tank back into place, and hopefully you were able to save some time and frustration... (PS - even with gas in it, it's not impossible to move).

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
                                X