Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So I just got done doing the cable on the 24V.... I pulled the floor and you got about two feet to run the cable under the floor until you get on top of the fuel tank. I dropped it in from under the foot well and had a buddy use a metal bar to keep it on top of the fuel tank while I fed it and he could reach it. It popped right out. Took us less than a minute to totally feed the line through. Hardest part was getting to the tiller arm. To do that We took an electric impact from the starboard side of the motor (had to fish it in from the port side though) to get to the bolt, and held the 1/2 drive on the nut to keep it from turning. Done in 5 secs with that.

2 people and done in 25 mins! Not bad at all!

*if you've never done one b4, just remember you can extend the cable by turning the wheel to let it connect to the swivel... mine wouldn't reach and I couldn't figure it out. Then it hit me. DUH!!!
    Last edited by Tanner; 05-22-2009, 05:22 AM.
    Being a major OU fan and a staunch conservative.... I am perpetually vexed w/ the conundrum of who to hate more. Obama or the Univ. of Saxet.

Comment

Very helpful info. Thank you.

West Marine has the cables or can order them for ya. WestMarine.com

When I spoke to Teleflex tech support they made a point to say that the original cables most of us have such as mine SSC13418 has been upgraded to SSC15418. The cable has a special coating to help avoid the rapid corrosion we are experiencing.

Comment

I need to do a cable on my 04 22i. Anyone know where I can get one? I have to get in teh boat to see if everything is accessible - sure hope it is!!!

Comment

My weekend project just arrived...........

This is the upgraded steering cable, TFXTREME. I had to have it special ordered from West Marine and then they had it drop shipped directly to me.

Standard cable is SSC134xx

Upgrade cable is SSC154xx

http://www.westmarine.com

West Marine also has a wholesale division called Port Supply. It is basically the same company except with Port Supply account you get the wholesale pricing. If you know anyone who is involved in the boating business they may have an account that you can tap into and save up to 30%!
          Attached Files
          Last edited by JGR; 09-18-2009, 07:54 PM.

Comment

I'm getting ready to install this cable tomorrow. While unpacking the XTREME cable and repackaging the old cable I noted an interesting thing. With the cables wound up and in their boxes I was able to manipulate the new XTREME rod very smoothly in and out of the cable. The standard cable WON'T MOVE an inch. I originally thought it was damaged in shipping. But when I removed it from the box I was able to move the rod in and out but it is no where near as smooth as the XTREME cable. The XTREME cable was made to handle tighter bends and still stay very smooth. It is made to stand up better in the bilge than the standard cable. I can't want to see how it feels once I have it installed.
            Last edited by JGR; 09-21-2009, 03:03 AM.

Comment

I installed the cable today and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! One finger steering instead of two hands tugging.

I will start a new thread when I get back in town and document the install with photos.

Lee you're the best. Thanks for all of your help with questions I had before and during the install.
              Last edited by JGR; 09-22-2009, 12:51 AM.

Comment

steering cable replacement

Hi JWANCK11,
                Just curious if you ever got that cable replaced? I need to do mine in my 05 22i, how hard/easy was it? were did you get the cable, part#? Anyone have any pictures on changing it? Any info would be a great help, need to get this done for this coming season, Thanks L

QUOTE=jwanck11;366729]I need to do a cable on my 04 22i. Anyone know where I can get one? I have to get in teh boat to see if everything is accessible - sure hope it is!!![/QUOTE]

Comment

JGR, your info was clutch! Parts are on the way, stories to follow.

Comment

Originally posted by JGR View Post
                    My weekend project just arrived...........

This is the upgraded steering cable, TFXTREME. I had to have it special ordered from West Marine and then they had it drop shipped directly to me.

Standard cable is SSC134xx

Upgrade cable is SSC154xx

http://www.westmarine.com

West Marine also has a wholesale division called Port Supply. It is basically the same company except with Port Supply account you get the wholesale pricing. If you know anyone who is involved in the boating business they may have an account that you can tap into and save up to 30%!
                    Does anyone know if this same cable works on my boat? A 2007 RZ2 with a Marine Power engine. Thanks.

I looked online at WestMarine but couldn't find it. I might need to call the store and see if they can order it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Matt Garcia View Post
                      Does anyone know if this same cable works on my boat? A 2007 RZ2 with a Marine Power engine. Thanks.

I looked online at WestMarine but couldn't find it. I might need to call the store and see if they can order it for me.
                      Matt - contact SPBFAN. He may need to know your cable length, but should be able to get you the info and part.

Comment

Three things I learned while putting in my new cable...
                        1. TFXTREME works like butter
                        2. Cut the old cable to get it out
                        3. An old coat hanger works great for snagging the rope tied/taped to the new cable to feed it under the deck section and over the gas tank...

Now all I need to do is get home and get the boat out! Ballast next!

Comment

Lee, Thanks for the info. I installed mine last night.

My recommendation is to change out the impeller at the same time.(Thanks RZ Mike) This made a world of difference getting at the parts.

Only took me 3.5 hours to do the impeller and steering. It would have taken almost half the time but I missed the step on cutting the cable on purpose. I have a buddy with a small outboard boat that needed a steering cable and since my old one wasn't too bad I told him I would try to save it. BIG MISTAKE!!!! CUT THE CABLE!

Comment

OK. Time to bite the bullet and do this thing... I have the 22i and will post picts. Any idea on the length I might need? How can I find this out other than to get the current one out of the boat and measure?
                            Last edited by jwanck11; 04-07-2010, 06:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
                              OK. Time to bite the bullet and do this thing... I have the 22i and will post picts. Any idea on the length I might need? How can I find this out other than to get the current one out of the boat and measure?
                              Look under your steering wheel. There should be a black, long rectangular metal box screwed down to the steering shaft. Going to that is a long thick black cable. That is your steering cable.

On your steering cable there should be some white numbers. I believe the last number is the length so on mine its, SSC13418. The last number is the length which is 18ft. Take a look at the attached picture.
                              Attached Files

Comment

I did this on my RZ2 and I ended up having a HELL of a time changing it out.

Getting the 1 1/8 nut off is hard because of the limited room. After that was off we discovered there was no room to insert the new cable in the existing holes. Tige must have installed this cable before the gas tank was put in. I even called Tige to verify how the cable should be inserted but it was good Friday and a lot of the people at the plant were off. The hole that goes from the helm straight to the gas tank and through the floor did not have enough room for the cable rudder end. Since that end part that attaches to the rudder is straight metal and about a foot long it makes no wiggle room to insert the cable. I ended having to modify two existing holes in the floor board where the original cable was as well as route the cable through another existing hole. In the end I tried an 18ft cable but it didn't work so I had to go with a 20ft cable since my cable route went from helm floor, back to the drivers kick wall and back up the steering shaft.

My buddy who owns his own boat/service repair helped me and this was the longest, most difficult steering cable he has ever done.

Comment

Working...
                                X