This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TigeTrojan View Post
    My steering cable project will start soon. I was going to let the shop do it, but when I found out how much it would cost and read about everyone doing it here I changed my mind pretty quickly. I will let everyone know how it goes.

jwanck11- how much cable did you have left over? I have an 04 21i so if 17' was big on you, how much less should I go?
    I had quite a few feet left over using a 17' cable. You can see in the pictures above just how much is there. That is a shot with the cable all ready fully hooked to the rudder.

Remember though I replaced like for like. The markings on the cable in your boat are near the rudder so if you lift up the access panel, you might be able to read the length that is all ready in the boat. As long as you have long arms, it is not too bad a job. I did it by myself.

Comment

'04 21i Steering Cable

Did the 17-foot installation work for the steering cable? West Marine rep says that he can not recommend a certain length, but that I can look it up on the current cable. My boat is a couple of hours away at the marina and I would like to do the work this weekend without driving to the marina and driving back.

Any feedback on the length of cable would be appreciated, as we have the same model.

Thanks.
      B

Comment

Originally posted by bchapman16 View Post
        Did the 17-foot installation work for the steering cable?
        Thanks.
        B
        Try an 18 foot cable.

Comment

Help Please Tige 20v cable change

I am having a hell of a time changing the cable on my 2002 20V. First of all some times I really have having a V drive boat when you have to work on anything in the rear compartment!!

I have the old cable copletely removed and I am trying to run the new cable over the gas tank like described here but I am not having any luck at all. I took the gas tank loose today but no help. My tank runs almost all the way to the hole to insert the cable and I can not get it to go over the tank. I really do not think it will go over it any way without going around the side. Any suggestions would be great.

Comment

cable change

Also I was told to get a 18ft cable and when I got mine off it says 16ft so do you think I will have a problem.

Comment

Just finished changing out steering cable on my '06Ve. Took about 2 hours with the help of a buddy (we are both extreme amateurs). Took it out and tested it on the lake the next morning and what an incredible difference. It is absolutely like buying a new boat. Steers like a dream with 1 finger. Highly recommend the $ 160 investment with a little elbow grease. Thanks for the info. on how to DIY.

Comment

I would also like to extend my thanks to SPBFAN for the part and everyone on this thread for the invaluable info... Was able to replace my cable on a 01 20i in under an hour by myself. Wheel is like butter now. Thanks all.

Comment

Steering cable replacement

Mr Lee, thanks for the information on the steering cable replacement, it was right on the money! I finally got around to changing mine on my 22i and what a piece of cake it was, took me just over an hour and the steering is like brand new!! The part number you gave me was correct and I ordered a new cable, the hardest part of the job was reaching underneath the rear seats and having to work with one hand to loosen the rear bolt for the cable to attach to the rudder, but other than that it was simple, probably saved me $300 bucks!! Thanks again, I appreciate it! and to everyone else, thank you too, for your input and information on other problems and questions!! Have fun....L

I just bought a fuel/water seperator filter, I was looking on the engine and it looks like it goes on the port side of the engine, but i thought that was an oil filter? is that one in the same?
                  Thanks again L

Comment

What engine do you have?

Comment

'07 22 Ve' steering cable

I have always worked on my own boats as much as possible, and with all the great info here, decided to change out my steering cable with my son. Removing the old cable was a snap. However, the new cable will NOT make the turn through the hole in the floor. There is just not enough clearance below or maneuvering room above. (BTW- the old cable was run on top of the gas tank). I had a rope tied to the end of the new cable, and we tried maneuvering it beside the gas tank, over the gas tank, even forward on top of the gas tank, to no avail. Any ides? I may have to enlarge the hole in the floor!!

PS The gas tank is FULL

Comment

WeilThing,
                        I have an 07 22V and I had the same problem as you did. We have a larger has tank, so it goes past the clearance hole in the floor.
                        I changed mine this year and had to cut that hole out bigger.
                        To give you an idea how much larger my hole is...the square corner piece that covers the cables, barely cover the hole up. Even then, it barely made it thru...but it did. Once I got it thru, it took a little work, but I was able to turn the shaft around. It can be done.
                        Good luck.

Comment

Thanks, off2board! Very frustrating!! Looks like I'll be cutting a bigger hole tomorrow.

Question for you - you pushed the end of the cable forward, then brought it back around?

Thanks again.

Comment

Yea. Pushed it in toward the bow then spin it back around with the rope. Which wasn't that easy. I had to wedge a broom handle in between the floor and gas tank to get more room. And honestly, I didn't think I'd ever get it spun around, but after about 15 minutes of tugging and wedging, I got it.

Comment

Thanks OFF!

Comment

Ok. I tried to tackle the steering cable replacement this weekend. First of all it was tougher than I thought it would be. Mostly because I found it very difficult to access the 1 1/8 nut at the steering tube. I think this would have been easier if I had had help so that one person could be on either side. One person to push the wrench over and get better leverage and the other person to make sure the wrench got on the bolt.

I found that my cable was run on top of the gas tank. This made it easier to cut the cable in half by use of a bolt cutter to get the old one out. After getting the 1 1/8 nut loose the removal of the old cable was not an issue.

The biggest issue was installing the new cable. I read everything there was to read on how to replace the steering cable on this forum. I read about making the hole bigger under the helm which I did. But getting the new cable in and turned around seems impossible. I tried a broom stick but had no luck. I’m thinking that if I have another person to help pull the rope while the other pushes the cable will help. I’ve been able to push the rudder end and get it under the deck but have not been able to turn the assembly around. Does anyone else have any help suggestions?

Oh yah, I have about 2 hours invested up until this point.
                                Wilson

Comment

Working...
                                X