This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to change a steering cable.

This article will help you change a steering cable with a Teleflex rack system. This will only cover changing the steering cable and not how to remove parts of the interior and flooring to get to the steering cable as there are a lot of different boats that this same procedure will work on.

Tools needed for the swap are as follows,

You will first need to loosen the nut that attach the cable and the support tube using a 1 1/8" wrench.

Then remove the bolt that holds the steering cable to the swivel on the tiller arm using an 9/16" wrench on the bolt and an 1/2" wrench on the nut.

Now under the dash remove the four bolts that hold the rack to the helm using a 7/16 wrench.

At this point I take a cutoff tool and cut the cable between the v-drive and the gas tank to make the removal of the old cable much easier.

Now pull the two parts out of the boat.

To install the new cable I fish a wire from the helm to the gas tank area to feed the new cable toward the rear of the boat. Before running the new cable take the rudder end and push cable all the way into the jacket and tape them together and that will make the turns easier than if the cable is out of the jacket.

When running the new cable if you have a v-drive, run the cable on top of the tank as that will help keep water out of the jacket of the cable and stop the problem that we are correcting.

Run the cable from the helm through the support tube and connect to the tiller arm. Look under the boat and make sure rudder is straight and straighten the steering wheel then attach the rack to the helm.

Good Night!
    Last edited by Matt Garcia; 10-04-2010, 03:56 PM.

Lee, Lee,Lee....if only it was that easy.

I'm coming to your house when I need the next one!
    Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Will running the cable over the gas tank work for all V-Drives, including mine (2100v)?
      Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
        Will running the cable over the gas tank work for all V-Drives, including mine (2100v)?
        Yes sir, All Tige v-drives.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason B View Post
          Lee, Lee,Lee....if only it was that easy.

I'm coming to your house when I need the next one!
          You better have a 35* MT Dew first.

Comment

I have a 2005 22v. I'm trying to replace the cable myself. Is there a trick to getting the floor panel off to get to the gas tank I tried to just pry it up with a coupe screwdrivers, but it seems like it's attached somewhere under the back seating. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by wake454 View Post
              I have a 2005 22v. I'm trying to replace the cable myself. Is there a trick to getting the floor panel off to get to the gas tank I tried to just pry it up with a coupe screwdrivers, but it seems like it's attached somewhere under the back seating. Any help is appreciated.
              Its held down by the seat box. It has to be removed first. There are some pics around here somewhere, let me look!

First couple pics in this thread will show how to remove the seat box.

http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5510
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Lee,
                Changing out my steering cable on a 2001 21V. Do you have to remove the impeller fresh water hose in order to get enough acess to the threaded nut holding the cable in place to the tiller saft??

Comment

Originally posted by tktige' View Post
                  Lee,
                  Changing out my steering cable on a 2001 21V. Do you have to remove the impeller fresh water hose in order to get enough acess to the threaded nut holding the cable in place to the tiller saft??
                  yes

Comment

I just did my cable last weekend. not a hard job, just took some time!

Comment

That damn nut holding the tiller shaft is a b*tch!!!

Comment

I have a 2004 20I and wheres the best place to purchase a cabel?
                        also does anyone know the part # for this size cable?
                        If you cant have fun doing it, dont do it!

Comment

Originally posted by tktige' View Post
                          Lee,
                          No you do not have to remove the hose. If you have an old 1 1/8" wrench, cut it off so it is ony about three inches long and you will be able to reach the nut easier.

Comment

Did mine last night. It took about an hour. I just tied a 1/4 rope on the one end to help guide me back under the motor with the new cable.
                            If you cant have fun doing it, dont do it!

Comment

so how do you ground it?

Comment

Working...
                              X