Southern Alberta Meet-up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Southern Alberta Meet-up?

I am noticing more and more members from the Southern Alberta region (we could include BC, Sask and Montana if there was interest) and was wondering if there was any interest in a weekend meet-up this season? We have a new dealer moving into Calgary and they might be interested in supporting something like this? If there is some interest I can make a few calls.

I'm in Lethbridge too, and I know at least two other Tige owners here as well. I could be interested to see how something like this might come together.
    2013 RZ2 with Convex VX, MLA Custom Sacs

Comment

I would be interested as well. I'm in Sask but really close to the AB border and Medicine Hat. Most weekends I'm out at Rolling Hills Reservoir right beside Lake Newell (about 2 hours from Calgary). Might be tough to get something set up this late in the season, but it could be fun.

Comment

I'm interested. Some decent lakes in SE Alberta.

Sent from my Passport

Comment

I'll just throw this out there since it might help with getting something set up.

I have a group campsite booked for the August 14th weekend at Rolling Hills Reservoir near Brooks. I had booked it in February for my families annual get together out here, but my Dad and two of my uncles all got seasonal lease sites so we were planning on cancelling the group site for this year. If someone wants to setup a group get together they're welcome to have my booking. It's a large site with power for 7 campers, but you can have as many people as you want as long as they pay the $35 a night fee.

The biggest downside to this lake is that there is 8km of gravel to get to it, so that can turn away a few people not willing to risk the rock chips. The gravel can also be a good thing, because this lake is not nearly as busy as some of the other lakes in Alberta.

Just thought I'd throw it out there as my wife and I were just sitting around the fire out here and discussing cancelling the site. It makes no difference to me, but just an option for someone willing to set things up.

Lake Newell would be another nice option. It's big and has decent facilities.

Comment

Wow - that was some quick responses. I have been thinking about location as well. Some thoughts:

1. Chestermere Lake (just outside Calgary) - busy lake but good facilities and hotels very close.
            2. Saint Mary's reservoir which is close to Lethbridge and a great Lake but not much for facilities at the lake. There is some camping but not much.
            3. Little Bow - better launch and docks and close to both Lethbridge and Calgary (about an hour to both) with camping right there.

I am wide open to other suggestions/ideas. I am currently on vacation in Idaho but will try to check posts daily.

Comment

I'm headed out to Little Bow next Saturday, July 18. I've never been before so I can report back.

Chestermere is too small and in light of today's events, might not even be open to boats for a while.

I'm in Shuswap from August 7 to 23 so I couldn't do any dates in there.

Sent from my Passport

Comment

So for weekends I was thinking either the 22nd-23rd weekend or the 29th-30th of August weekend. Any preference of weekends?

Comment

I prefer the 29th weekend. I can't do the 22nd.

Sent from my Passport

Comment

I went to Little Bow yesterday. It was awesome! Nice little lake... not very busy. No fees to launch or dock. The water was cool at 65 to 70, but I think that is an artefact of the crappy weather we've had lately and isn't indicative of normal. Depth is good too at 4o to 6o feet. We had a blast.

The only real downside is the entire lake and campground has ZERO cellular service. It is down in a valley, so you need to drive up the hill to get any service.

Cooking burgers!

I think you can tie up overnight. There were no signs saying what you could or could not do.

Everyone kept saying it looked like Jurassic Park. I didn't see it.

Comment

I have reached out to one of the guys at Seca Marine (the new Tige dealership in Calgary) to see if they would be interested in participating in the meet-up. I will let everyone know what I hear back.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                        I went to Little Bow yesterday. It was awesome! Nice little lake... not very busy. No fees to launch or dock. The water was cool at 65 to 70, but I think that is an artefact of the crappy weather we've had lately and isn't indicative of normal. Depth is good too at 4o to 6o feet. We had a blast.

The only real downside is the entire lake and campground has ZERO cellular service. It is down in a valley, so you need to drive up the hill to get any service.

Cooking burgers!

I think you can tie up overnight. There were no signs saying what you could or could not do.

Everyone kept saying it looked like Jurassic Park. I didn't see it.
                        What board are you riding here. I'm your same size and have been looking at going with a performance board and have been racking my brain about what to get.

Comment

Johnny, I saw you there on Sunday! If you keep going east from where you guys were surfing and take the south fork past the resort the water is warmer and generally quieter. We normally put the tube up and tow the kids out there and back and WB or Surf once there. Do you know who the dude in the red and Black Z3 is who was surfing just opposite you guys?

PS: Rogers extended coverage to the eastern side of the lake, Cannot tie up for the night ( wouldn't want to when that Lethbridge wind blows in). Not allowed to leave your boat in the parking lot overnight either, it has to be on your campsite. I'll be there this weekend again.
                          Last edited by Bogdog; 07-21-2015, 09:59 PM.

Comment

Ha! I figured it might have been you. I knew I had seen photos of that boat before. In the water it looks identical to mine from over 100 feet away. And no, I have no idea who was running that red and black Z3.

BTW here is my first video edit. Pretty basic. I'm the last guy surfing.

The white board is a 5'6" Ronix Koal Fish. About 5 years old. The orange board is a 5' Phase 5 Trident. If I was buying a new one (which I am) I would go for a Soulcraft Honu (it will arrive in a couple weeks). If you want to save a bit, a 5'1" Ronix Carbon Thruster would be my next choice.
                            Last edited by JohnnieMo; 07-22-2015, 04:11 PM.

Comment

It sounds like Seca marine might be interested. It would be great if I had an idea of how many owners are interested in taking part so that I could let them know (it will help them gauge their involvement). Let me know if that weekend works for you. I will be talking to them early next week.

Comment

Working...
                              X