Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
    XP,

In pic 2 of post #32, what was the reasoning for removing the 3/4 pump outlets before you installed the outlet?

Thanks again.
    Sorry Xp, my original post doesn't make sense I ment to ask why you removed these elbows on the fill pumps before you installed the Manifold. I thought I read that the outlets were 3/4, but I reread and they are both 1 1/8, one threaded, one barbed.
    Attached Files
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Yes and the barbed one is threaded onto the pump. It was not convenient by the way they were pointing and when i tightened them the rubber washer inside tweaked. If I loosened them a little the hose would move them. It was just easier to put the hose on the threaded end and remove the elbow I actaully still have the elbow on the center pump. Too laze to change that one out yet.
      Let it be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xpjim1 View Post
        Yes and the barbed one is threaded onto the pump. It was not convenient by the way they were pointing and when i tightened them the rubber washer inside tweaked. If I loosened them a little the hose would move them. It was just easier to put the hose on the threaded end and remove the elbow I actaully still have the elbow on the center pump. Too laze to change that one out yet.
        That's what I figured, thanks.
        Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

You are welcome!!
          Let it be!!!

Comment

Update on Ballast system.

Since we have been out a few times with the ballast system here are my comments.

Fill times are fast. Only drawback is that the Tsunami pumps are taller than most other pumps coupled with the 2 inch PVC some pumps are not primed. On a few occasions I needed to put in reverse to prime the fill pumps. Not a big deal but I need to check the bags to see if they are filling. ( a pain for the bow sac on the 24V since it is one big seat)

I need to change the lengths of the drain hose off the drain pumps. After the bags are empty and then go to fill them again, the drain pumps end up in an awkward position. Some will not prime to empty. Need to wiggle pumps to get them to prime. I shortened one of the lines and all is well. Just to hot to be working outside on the boat.

Need to add a second drain pump on the bow sac. Leaves more water than I like in the bag.

Since no one will still drive my boat so I can surf I moved the big surfsac to the starboard side. Seems like my kids and there friends are all goofy foot. Still dialing the perfect combination for the wake and we are getting close. We have a good list going. Would have pictures but took a massive wave over the bow which washed the camera to the depths of Lake Havasu

Overall I like the system. Losing some of the storage is a pain but we have learned to cope and using areas we have not used before. I would have done a few things diferrently if I had known. One I would have put the fill thru hull a little higher and towards the center which might have solved the pump priming issue and would have made the bilge pump relocating simpler. Still a debate on using a scoop thru hull. There have been a few time where I wish I could have adjusted the ballast while moving.

Overall I consider it a success. When funds become available a second surf sac for the port side will be ordered as the budget seems to have become tight. Hopefully I will have a new camera and pictures from the next time out.

On a side note, my son who hates the heat and has gone maybe once in the last 3 years has made 3 trips this year with friends. He is wakeboarding and also got up surfing his first try. He is also backing the trailer so I can drive on instead of using the park at dock, get the truck and pull on with the rope method. He has not had to back down with crowds but we are 3 for 3 with him backing down the ramp.
            Last edited by xpjim1; 07-18-2007, 08:50 PM.
            Let it be!!!

Comment

If the fill hoses went straight up out of the pumps not forward, the air would move "up" and the water would remain in the pumps eliminating dry running pumps.

Comment

I'd go on strike until someone else in your crew learns to drive your boat. Now that everyone is having fun, you have a lot more leverage
                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Update on Ballast system.

Need to add a second drain pump on the bow sac. Leaves more water than I like in the bag.

Jim, This has crossed my mind. Instead of 2 drain pump for the bow sac, I am thinking about mounting 1 pump in the bilge, in front of the gas tank, and then run a drain hose from each arm of the sac, down into the bilge and tee them into the 1 pump.

This will drain slower then 2 but will be cheaper; 1 pump, 1 drain thru-hull, 1 switch/wire harness, less hose.

Comment

Not a bad idea but I am already partway committed. I was thinking of tying the pump into the same switch. It is already on a 20 amp circuit and the pumps are max 5 amps. Hose for me is actually less than 2 feet. i already have an extra thru hull as Gem Lux sent me one that had a flaw in casting and sent a new one. I have a few fittings that i could make this work due to the experimentation factor. I need one pump, run the wires and drill another hole. I think this will be a winter project. I plan on cleaning up all the little things on the system
                    Let it be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                      Jim, This has crossed my mind. Instead of 2 drain pump for the bow sac, I am thinking about mounting 1 pump in the bilge, in front of the gas tank, and then run a drain hose from each arm of the sac, down into the bilge and tee them into the 1 pump.

This will drain slower then 2 but will be cheaper; 1 pump, 1 drain thru-hull, 1 switch/wire harness, less hose.
                      chp,

I have the same problem, my front bag does not drain out very well. Would you run the hose into the storage compartments and then down to just in front of the gas tank, or would you try to have them go straight down?

I think that you would have to go back to the place where the air vents go down because a stringer is in the way, correct?

That is an awesome idea...since I just cemented in the drain plug on one arm of the sack...
                      Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                        chp,

I have the same problem, my front bag does not drain out very well. Would you run the hose into the storage compartments and then down to just in front of the gas tank, or would you try to have them go straight down?

I think that you would have to go back to the place where the air vents go down because a stringer is in the way, correct?

That is an awesome idea...since I just cemented in the drain plug on one arm of the sack...
                        Exactly what i'm thinking - into the storage, and then down the vent holes into the bilge.

Comment

my factory system came with a pump on each side and now that i placed the pumps flat on the floor it seems to drain pretty well, especially when you drain as your moving with taps at 8

Comment

chpthrl
                            Where are you going to put the thru hull for the drain line or are you thinking of bringing the drain line back up to the vent thru hull. If separate then you are back to 2 thru hulls. I can not get access to the front of my gas tank as the floor is in the way. I drilled a hole in front of the starboard side vent hole to bring in the fill line. and it was a pain fishing it out with the gas tank and floor in the way. The Ve might be different. Still a great idea.
                            Let it be!!!

Comment

chpthrl
                              Where are you going to put the thru hull for the drain line or are you thinking of bringing the drain line back up to the vent thru hull. If separate then you are back to 2 thru hulls. I can not get access to the front of my gas tank as the floor is in the way. I drilled a hole in front of the starboard side vent hole to bring in the fill line. and it was a pain fishing it out with the gas tank and floor in the way. The Ve might be different. Still a great idea.
                              I'm hoping to use 1 thru-hull and T the drain and vent w/ a checkvalve on the vent side to prevent backfilling while draining.

I'm hoping that the port and starboard bilge vent hose holes will be big enough for me work through. My plan is to assemble the pump, harness, hoses, T, and then just feed it down the hole and secure the pump.

Comment

Sounds like a good plan. Cannot wait to see the pics.
                                Let it be!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X