No announcement yet.

DIY Ballast Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In post # 37 and 38, I only see two hoses. Is that all you have or is the third hose out of the picture.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
      In post # 37 and 38, I only see two hoses. Is that all you have or is the third hose out of the picture.
      The vent hose is out of the picture. If you follow from the TEE the hose goes up under the gunnel, and comes out by the bottom of the picture which is not in view. I went under the gunnel as there were 2 braces which holds some wiring. I ran the hose thru there and that is where the check valve is, up and out of the way.
      Let it be!!!

Comment

I hadn't gotten back to this thread for a while. I almost fell off of my chair laughing reading the garden hose leak discovery adventure you had. Smart man not to find that out once on the water.

It is the most difficult part of putting in a system like this. I found even in my Rival install that because they say something is one size, does not mean it is. It is terribly frustrating. I found that if I didn't bust a knuckle trying to get something on, it is probably too loose and would leak anyway.

Hope things went well for you today.
        Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Finally got the boat out on the water. Ballast system fills perfect. Fill time is about 8-9 minutes. I am going to make the vent line a straight shot. thought it was nice the way I hid it up in the gunnel but it seems like the water has a hard time with that route. Had one leak on the bow drain pump. After draining there is a few gallons of water left in each bag. Is this normal?

Have to say this was truly my first run with my Fresh air exhaust also. What a diferrence. Very quiet. Had quite a few people at the ramp ask me about it.

The DBOT5 Surf rack worked well also. I just do not seem to trust it. Everytime we stopped I would check it.

No pics of the port side with the custom surf sac since no one would volunteer to give dad a pull. Here are some picks of my daughter on the starboard side with 450# in the rear locker, 500# up front and 2 people on the starboard seats. This is her first time without the rope. She would last about 30 seconds
          Attached Files
          Let it be!!!

Comment

What lake is that, the water sure looks dirty.

Comment

Thats beautiful Lake Havasu yesterday. I love weekdays when no one is on the lake or the launch ramps. Daughter got a little practice backing the trailer down as no one was at the ramp.
              Let it be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xpjim1 View Post
                No pics of the port side with the custom surf sac since no one would volunteer to give dad a pull. Here are some picks of my daughter on the starboard side with 450# in the rear locker, 500# up front and 2 people on the starboard seats. This is her first time without the rope. She would last about 30 seconds
                What!? Nobody would give Dad a pull? That just ain't right. That makes me sad XP.

What speed were you running? Almost looks a little fast.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I was running 11.4 Taps on 6. Anyting else the wave was all wash. It actually felt fast but the daughter was having fun. I need more weight in the back. We are totally rookies at this surfing thing so we only do what we learn on the internet. My daughters friends are lucky if they weigh 100#. I am going to play around more next time out. Next time I am going to put the big surf sac on the starboard side to see what it does. want to be sure I will be happy with it before i order another one.
                  Last edited by xpjim1; 05-22-2007, 05:37 PM.
                  Let it be!!!

Comment

Plus I need to get a board for my daughter and her freinds size. She could practically stand on this board for the starts.
                    Let it be!!!

Comment

I hope that you will let me give you a pull at the reunion in October.

Last year Jim declined my drysuit and an opportunity for a good pull.

Seems like I always end up putting the Taps all the way up.

I can never get the last bit out of those bags. Kind of like an old guy with a prostate problem.
                      Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Congratulations!!! I am glad that you got most of the kinks worked out. I don't know if I have enough energy this year to do the ballast -- I will just fill by hand with pumps. Has anybody hooked up a Tsunami 1250 to a cigarrette lighter cord?

Comment

Originally posted by Moki View Post
                          Congratulations!!! I am glad that you got most of the kinks worked out. I don't know if I have enough energy this year to do the ballast -- I will just fill by hand with pumps. Has anybody hooked up a Tsunami 1250 to a cigarrette lighter cord?
                          I use an acc cord with alligator clips on one end. My pump was tripping the breaker on the ACC plug in the glove box. I think I found it at WallMart for 5 bucks or something. It's a Coleman!

Comment

I was running 11.4 Taps on 6. Anyting else the wave was all wash. It actually felt fast but the daughter was having fun. I need more weight in the back. We are totally rookies at this surfing thing so we only do what we learn on the internet. My daughters friends are lucky if they weigh 100#. I am going to play around more next time out. Next time I am going to put the big surf sac on the starboard side to see what it does. want to be sure I will be happy with it before i order another one.
                            Yes, I'd say you need some more weight in the back. A lot more.

My wife has a Phase 5 Icon that all the girls love. The best thing about it is that it's really easy for them to get up on. Once up, it's fairly fast down the line and really easy to manuever. It makes surfing easy for them.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
                              I hope that you will let me give you a pull at the reunion in October.

Last year Jim declined my drysuit and an opportunity for a good pull.

Seems like I always end up putting the Taps all the way up.

I can never get the last bit out of those bags. Kind of like an old guy with a prostate problem.
                              Hopefully I will have my boat up there this year with other drivers and offer pulls to anyone who needs one.

I declined the generous offer due to talltigeguy is a tall skinny guy and I am a shorter deceptively round guy. Did not want to have his dry suit seals leak like my first water test of the my ballast system

Good to know that the pumps won't suck the bags dry. If I get motivated I am going to add a second drain pump on the bow sac. Thats a big if
                              Let it be!!!

Comment

I declined the generous offer due to talltigeguy is a tall skinny guy and I am a shorter deceptively round guy. Did not want to have his dry suit seals leak like my first water test of the my ballast system
                                hahahahahahahahahaha.. ok im posting this in the best quote section. that was hilarious!
                                If you ain't falling.. you ain't trying hard enough..

Comment

Working...
                                X