SpeedSet dropping out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SpeedSet dropping out

We have had several glitches with SpeedSet on our '09 RZ2.

A week ago, the SpeedSet display would remain up even after the SpeedSet switch was turned off (i.e., the display would not reset to Depth, which is our default). That issue has not been replicated except for those two days.

This weekend, the SpeedSet would periodically drop off. The screen would drop to Depth (i.e., default) even with the SpeedSet switch in the on position. Toggling the SpeedSet switch had no effect. Turning the engine to off (not acc), turning the SpeedSet switch off, restarting the engine, and turning SpeedSet switch back on brought it back up.

Our SpeedSet has always surged several MPH over the set and then come back down. I am on the 409HP and an Acme 537 prop (with 1235 ordered). I have read on TO that others '09 SpeedSet locks right in without surge. I get around the surge by not dropping the hammer (but would like to just drop the hammer). I wonder if this is an engine/prop combination issue. Will see with new prop.

Also the blower stopped working last night (guessing a loose connection from the fuel flow meter install or a bad switch). All other switches on the panel work fine.

Anyone with an '09 having similar SpeedSet issues? Does the system have firmware updates?

Thanks!

I have had the same exact problems.
    1. speedset screen locking up and then having to turn off the ignition to reset, but the screen stays on for a few seconds
    2. if you creep up slowly on the set speed but go over (overthrottle) then it won't lock into cruise and it is difficult to get it to re-capture even if you slow down and speed back up
    3. I am able to push the throttle all the way down initially and it will catch pretty easy, although this is good for skiers and experienced wakeboarder, those learning and little kids can't take the "turbo" pull.
    4. I have been able to leave the speedset on zero, get to cruising speed, hit the speedset button in the middle, wait to see the current speed locked in, then gingerly push the throttle down and hope it locks in
    5. My boat is currently at the dealer for a week while we have some down lake time, they are going to "tweak" it as they have had this happen on their own Tige. I will let you know how it goes.
    Kerlee

Comment

I love TO. What an incredible resource everyone here is. Thanks for the feedback kerlee!

Who is your dealer?

Comment

Gunnell's Marine
        Great customer service

Comment

Mine has been going past the setpoint. Seems like it does it about every other time.

Comment

Mine works fine 90% of the time, but from time to time the screen will go to "main" and it will stop working. So far all I need to do is turn the speedset off, put the boat in neutral and start over. I've never had to turn the boat off to reset it. It seems I can get anywhere from 6 to 12 good pulls and then this happens. Funny thing is it happened once surfing with my son...evidently surfing at 20mph isn't much fun

I'll be currious to see what others are seeing. Mine has been frustrating, but nothing like what you mention.

I am having an issue with one of my stock ballasts...I'll post a new thread for that.

Comment

I haven't had any problems with mine.

The first time out this year, I couldn't get it to work. Wife was complaining about the cold water, so I didn't take the time to troubleshoot it then (geez, she was wearing a drysuit, she should've been just fine to wait in the water while I fixed it ). After I got home and thought for a minute, I realized that I had forgotten to switch on the speed set toggle switch. D'oh!

I do, however, need to figure out how to set rider presets. Haven't done that yet. Maybe the owner's manual will have some insight into that feature.

Comment

Originally posted by dingleberry View Post
                I do, however, need to figure out how to set rider presets. Haven't done that yet. Maybe the owner's manual will have some insight into that feature.
                I didn't know it would do that. Let me know what you find.

Comment

Originally posted by Guapo View Post
                  Funny thing is it happened once surfing with my son...evidently surfing at 20mph isn't much fun
                  Well, wakeboarding at 35 is no fun either I have gotten into the habit of thinking "speed surge, it will slow down in a bit" while riding ... then yesterday it did not slow down. Driver did not notice immediately. I dropped off just about when the boat was shifted to neutral.

And I have not yet done my pre-sets (though I need to).

I should mention that I doubt it is related to a low battery issue -- I keep a smart trickle charger plugged in all the time while on the lift.
                  Last edited by Duncan; 07-27-2009, 10:00 PM.

Comment

I hope Tige reads this thread.

I have the same problem and I do have the latest firmwear ( as of 2 week ago) the problem is still there and needs to be fixed by Tige ASAP.

I know my dealer has been very vocal for me to Tige but they are not listening.....

It is not just 09 boats, I had it on my 08 as well.....

Fix it!! It is my only complaint!

Here is what I do:

Make sure you see the "more throttle" in the message screen.before you pull, If it is not displaying that..speedset will not catch... To fix this with the boat still on and the Speedset engaged.. hit the middle button to adjust the speed up or down by one click and then return to your set speed and then hit enter again... it will then display the "more throttle" and your good to go.
                    Tige owner since 2006

Comment

I have experienced nearly every symptom described so far plus more. Ours locked up our display and would not reset regardless of power the boat off, etc. Of course, by the time I got it into our dealer, they couldn't recreate the problem and it had reset. I keep complaining about this to my dealer but it is difficult to recreate.

Like Duncan, we have had it surge up to 10 mph beyond what it is set for (before manually shutting down and dropping the rider). It is dangerous if you place your trust in it and are paying careful attention!

Dingle - As far as rider presets, I have found those to be worthless because you can't use them as a starting point and adjust/tweak from there. What happens on ours is that if you hit the up/down arrows to tweak the speed, it actually cycles to the previous/next preset (which may be a surfing/tubing/wakeboarding/skiing speed that is several mph off from what you are towing at. So, if your rider gives you a faster/slower signal, forget about it unless all the presets are in order from fastest to slowest and a small incremental difference. I'm beginning to believe that this functionality was included to check off a box on the marketing material..."why yes, we have rider presets."

Comment

[QUOTE

Dingle - As far as rider presets, I have found those to be worthless because you can't use them as a starting point and adjust/tweak from there. What happens on ours is that if you hit the up/down arrows to tweak the speed, it actually cycles to the previous/next preset (which may be a surfing/tubing/wakeboarding/skiing speed that is several mph off from what you are towing at. So, if your rider gives you a faster/slower signal, forget about it unless all the presets are in order from fastest to slowest and a small incremental difference. I'm beginning to believe that this functionality was included to check off a box on the marketing material..."why yes, we have rider presets."[/QUOTE

You can change the speed while in cruise mode and underway:

Here is what you do:

Before you hit the "up" and "down" buttons you must hit the middle button 1st, that will bring the cursor to the set speed, then use the "up" or "down" buttons to adjust speed and then hit the "middle button" again and the boat will adjust to the new set speed..

Hope that helps.
                        Tige owner since 2006

Comment

I've only had the boat for a few months and haven't looked into the presets. Any advice on how to access that feature...or should I simply stop being lazy and look at my owners manual?

Comment

Originally posted by Guapo View Post
                            I've only had the boat for a few months and haven't looked into the presets. Any advice on how to access that feature...or should I simply stop being lazy and look at my owners manual?
                            Well, I've had mine for about 11 months, and so far the lazy method hasn't been effective. So, I'm thinking that some type of reading/research may be in order.

Comment

I sure do miss my SpeedSet.
                              Formertigeowners.com
                              I used to be a member in the past.

Comment

Working...
                              X