No announcement yet.

Affordable 2013 Ronix Parks Carbon Thrusters $400

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally got to use the new board at Lake of the Ozarks over the weekend. Disclosure: I'm comparing to the only other board I've ever used (Hyperlite Broadcast), so put stock in my post at your own risk.

The Carbon Thruster is very fast and reacts quickly to weight shifting. I've tried with three small fins in the rear-most position and more recently with two long fins in the middle position. With two fins it has a tendency to break loose a little and be less stable, but controlling it is not a problem and that is currently my preferred set up. The board's spinability (if that's even a word) is incredible compared to the Broadcast (probably an obvious statement). I was able to get around on a 360 with the first try; something that was impossible for me previously.

I intend to work with different fin set ups in the future to figure out how to gain more speed to get some airs, etc. I see that as a challenge as my wave is somewhat limited in length thus shortening my window to pump. At this point with limited exposure to the new board I am very happy with the purchase and look forward to getting some late-summer and early-fall surfing in.

If anyone is still reading this thread I'm still interested in more fin configuration and general surf board feedback.

Another observation: my wakeboard/surfboard racks are stiff and do not "clamp," you simply place the board in the rack and tie down the bungee cord to secure boards. Someone in our crew wedged the Carbon Thruster into one of the narrower racks and it left some small indentions on the bottom due to the soft material. It was 100 degrees out so I'm not sure if the indentions were temporary or not, but something to keep in mind if you have older board racks like me.

Comment

I've been out on mine 2x now - agree that it reacts very quickly. Current fin set up is with 4 total - two in the middle and two in the back, as it was too loose for me with just 2 fins. My crew seams to like The Duke better as it's more forgiving, but clearly more for just cruzing.

Comment

We're settling in on three short fins now, after all last year running on two. Might still try two longer fins... I'm playing with the tradeoff between lock-in and loss of speed due to drag. Keep sharing fin experiments!

Comment

I got the replacement from Ronix through Liquidation Sports. There are some small differences between the two boards. We'll see if they make any differences?
          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Cool, I think that's the latest model year. A hassle but now you've got a $700 board for an incredible price.

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
              I got the replacement from Ronix through Liquidation Sports. There are some small differences between the two boards. We'll see if they make any differences?
              Awesome they took care of you! Even better that you got this year's model

The irony is that I bought the Carbon Thruster because I was hoping with the Carbon it would hold up better than just glass boards..... oh well!

Group buy on board socks or bags? I am thinking Ronix might do their warranty a favor by including a reflective board bag in the future
              Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

It looks like the 2015 is already out?
                http://www.activewake.com/ronix-carb...ster-2015.html

Yes, a $70 board bag for a $700 board is cheap insurance. Maybe there's a deal on one this weekend or like you said get a GB together?

Is there one out there anyone else likes/uses?

Comment

It looks like the 2015 is already out?
                  Looks like it. I like your 2014 model, though. Let's call it the "Penguin".

Comment

Originally posted by Stingreye View Post
                    The irony is that I bought the Carbon Thruster because I was hoping with the Carbon it would hold up better than just glass boards..... oh well!
                    I think the primary advantage of the carbon fiber is lighter weight. Someone else may know more behind the materials science...?

Comment

Haha. The penguin.

This bag looks like it would work. http://shredstixxusa.com/board-bags-...gorilla-58-bag

Comment

Haha. The penguin.

This bag looks like it would work. http://shredstixxusa.com/board-bags-...gorilla-58-bag
                        We got a surf board sock for use on the boat (fits in the bimini pocket) and a surf board bag for storage when not on the boat. The sock really keeps the heat down on our glass boards.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                          I think the primary advantage of the carbon fiber is lighter weight. Someone else may know more behind the materials science...?
                          I used to pole vault in college when carbon fiber poles were just starting to be used so my only experience with the two materials is there and I don't know if there are other construction methods.

Aspects:
                          1) Carbon poles were lighter than fiberglass
                          2) For a given weight rating (they are rated for weight on the bend characteristics), the Carbon Pole would feel stiffer and bend less but the recoil felt stronger
                          3) It was shocking how different a 185 lb 15 foot fiberglass pole was compared to a 185 lb Carbon Fiber 15 Foot Pole. Ultimately, I loved how light the Carbon was but the bend recoil I never was able to control like the glass pole.

I have a Phase Five Daniello Diamond Carbon and it appeared a little more durable than my surf style boards. I was hoping the Ronix Carbon board would be too.
                          Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

Haha. The penguin.

Looks good to me and it would be nice to support Nick/Chaos, the guy has been helpful here before and I have heard his service is good.

.... Maybe Nick/Chaos would do a group buy?

I have also seen some Triple X bags show up on Ebay cheap before but I think the quality isn't supposed to be as good.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                              We got a surf board sock for use on the boat (fits in the bimini pocket) and a surf board bag for storage when not on the boat. The sock really keeps the heat down on our glass boards.
                              Do you know that for sure? It seems to me that a black bag would absorb heat. I always thought bags were primarily for physical, not thermal, protection. A reflective bag might keep things cooler, but otherwise you've reduced convective cooling and (seemingly) increased absorptive heating.

I'd love to be wrong about this. Has anyone actually stuck a thermometer in the bag to see what happens? We have paddleboard bags, maybe I'll run that experiment. I have a Fluke meter with a calibrated temperature sensor so there won't be a question about accuracy.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                                Do you know that for sure? It seems to me that a black bag would absorb heat. I always thought bags were primarily for physical, not thermal, protection. A reflective bag might keep things cooler, but otherwise you've reduced convective cooling and (seemingly) increased absorptive heating.

I'd love to be wrong about this. Has anyone actually stuck a thermometer in the bag to see what happens? We have paddleboard bags, maybe I'll run that experiment. I have a Fluke meter with a calibrated temperature sensor so there won't be a question about accuracy.
                                When I take our glass TWP F-18 off the bimini and out of the (light colored) sack it is around ambient touch temperature or a little warmer. When the sack is not on the board, it is searing to the touch. The board has a lot of color from custom graphics on the bottom so it soaks up heat. The sun was also starting to fade the graphics.

Comment

Working...
                                X