Anybody else getting laid off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skyliner View Post
    tough times, i'm closing my car dealership.....really slow right now.
    i'm gonna sell my 2006 tige 22ve i will list it hear next week, i wanted to enjoy it one last weekend....will advertise here for less that the general public.....

buy gold ,silver,gun,ammo,food,water!!!
    Originally posted by xpjim1 View Post
    Got notice today. Its official. Last day is in January 09

Bummer guys, I feel your pain
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

At least the unknown period is over and I can start planning
      Let it be!!!

Comment

something odd...
        now that I'm only making 1/2 a paycheck you would think I'd be behind on the bills...
        instead
        I grind my own flower and make my own bread. (the best ever)
        make my own moonshine (a bit rough)
        cut my own fire wood
        do my own yard work
        getting better sleep
        everybody I know seems to be nicer now that I have more freetime

I'd like the other 1/2 of my paycheck plus some but this is good tooo.

Comment

I am really fortunate because I have worked for the same municipality for the last 10 years and am in a union. The department I work for is funded by utility taxes so no problem with the money coming in every year. The general fund departments are struggling right now. My wife has worked for the the state as a teacher for the past 15 years so another rock solid profession.
          I feel for you guys getting laid off and having to close your doors it is a really tough time right now, good luck.
          Formertigeowners.com
          I used to be a member in the past.

Comment

Sorry to hear that.

Got notice today. Its official. Last day is in January 09
            Sorry to hear that. At least you have couple of months to make some plans. Keep your spirits up over the holidays. And don't forget to get all your benefits possible. Unemployment is not much but it does help. The lack of health insurance is the scary part so take advantage of anything your state offers for uninsured. Don't let pride get in the way of any assistance that you can receive.
            Last edited by raythompson; 11-07-2008, 07:33 PM.
            Ray Thompson
            2005 22V

Comment

Thanks Everyone

Good thing is health insurance we can go on my wifes from her job, I plan on using unemployment as I have paid into for so long. Trying to get a little return on investment.
              Let it be!!!

Comment

Thanks Everyone

Good thing is health insurance we can go on my wifes from her job, I plan on using unemployment as I have paid into for so long. Trying to get a little return on investment.
                Make sure with UE that you look at the tax set up. Make sure there will be no surprises come tax time.

Comment

Originally posted by jwanck11 View Post
                  Make sure with UE that you look at the tax set up. Make sure there will be no surprises come tax time.
                  When I got unemployment in TN in the early 90's tax was NOT withheld from the money and I did get a nasty surprise. I think in TN that they now withhold . But now I have to leave the building as the fire alarm is sounding.

False alarm generated by the fire marshall. A couple of years ago they did have a fire in the building that did almost 10 million in damage. It is an engineering building on the UT campus and there was a lot of equipment destroyed in the localized fire. And the cleanup from smoke was extensive.

The fire marshall is not all happy with the building as there are many code problems. The building was code compliant when it was built. Now the fire marshall says that since there had to be repairs to small portion, that all portions must be brought to current code. Most of the electrical will have to be replaced as it is bus bar system. All the floors are asbestos. There are not dual exits in some areas. You get the picture. Extensive and expensive modifications.

Well someone in the university got that squashed and the fire marshall is plenty ticked off. So I suspect this will be a war of wills and the fire marshall will win.
                  Last edited by raythompson; 11-07-2008, 08:31 PM.
                  Ray Thompson
                  2005 22V

Comment

not to make light of joblessness......
                    when I first started making what I thought "big bucks" in construction
                    I looked out the window and saw all the Mexicans playing soccer and
                    having fun during their lunch.
                    I was so pissed that I didn't even have time to eat lunch and they were
                    laughing and playing
                    Because I was making too much money, to spend time like that...
                    they could afford to play and have fun at $10/hr. I was making 10 X that,
                    and "I was making 'too much money' to enjoy my lunch and have fun. "
                    That was the first and last day I looked at money and free time like that....
                    free time is better than money
                    as Americans we all have enough food and water... for to day... and that's
                    enough. everything else is extra
                    (don't get me wrong) I like extra too and I'm willing to work hard to get it.....

Comment

I seem to be knocking on a lot of wood lately. That is KNOCKING, not spanking.

So far it hasn't effected me but I am a bit surprised. I have 3 projects that are budgeted through the state of CA, and they are still going fine. I have 2 other projects that the clients rely on lending, and still going fine. So far at least. But looking at the new today about the jobless rates, and the auto industry due to credit shortage, scares me a bit. I will keep knocking.
                      http://wake9.com/

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                        I seem to be knocking on a lot of wood lately. That is KNOCKING, not spanking.
                        Thanks for the clarification Rag......hehe

Comment

Originally posted by sparky216 View Post
                          Thanks for the clarification Rag......hehe
                          np, glad I could help.
                          http://wake9.com/

Comment

No, business is really good. Always is good when the economy either turns south or north, but just so so when things are roaring. Sounds strange? I really feel for you man! My truck lease expires this winter and I'm seriouly considering buying an american truck instead of another Jap truck. All my comrades back in MI are in serious pain. The only way our economy will turn around is by getting Obama thrown out and everyone buys American. Ohhh! Nacy needs to go too.

Comment

Originally posted by jake View Post
                              The only way our economy will turn around is by getting Obama thrown out and everyone buys American. Ohhh! Nacy needs to go too.
                              "Day late and a dollar short", we've all heard it before. Just as we've all heard the war cry "Buy American" everytime there's a change in command or the economy is down, especially when someones candidate isn't elected.

Let's get real, "Buy American" isn't valid anymore. People looked the other way when it really mattered to buy american. When we as a nation could really have done something about it, we sold ourselves out for lower prices and fast and easy jobs that went away. Now what? There's nothing left for the american masses worth buying short of the big 3 who've proven they can't compete largely due to politics & bloat. What's left that's going to make an impact? As all the big manufacturers are either importing/building offshore or being built in country by offshore owned companies what do we buy? Candles? It is said that 80% of America is foreign owned, probably true.

Now icons like GM are broke or will be, hundreds of thousands are unemployed or will be, this thing will last for years. Think we have a homeless problem now? Where will it end? How many will be touched somehow by this? Probably everyone in some way. So while i won't talk politics with anyone, anytime ... I do gotta say I somehow doubt McCain would do any better, that is IF he lasted long enough.
                              "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

Razzman,
                                I could not have said it better myself.
                                Take note Bama haters.
                                Formertigeowners.com
                                I used to be a member in the past.

Comment

Working...
                                X