Anybody else getting laid off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raythompson View Post
    I have nothing to add. I just wanted to get to post 500.
    Congratulations on 500

I just need 16 more to 1000.

Comment

Originally posted by NICKYPOO View Post
      I'm out of work. Trying to find a new draftsman position but, they are extremely rare in this town right now. The construction industry has come to a grinding halt here. At least we are are saving a ton on daycare.
      What kind of drafting do you do?

Comment

Originally posted by bentone View Post
        I am in the construction industry and we have felt the bite this year, whats worse than being laid off is being the one who has to lay off. I had 20 employees at the beginning of the year and am down to 6. Luckily, all of them went and found other employment. There is nothing I dread more than having to tell an employee with two kids, wife and a house payment that times are tough and they are going to go find another job. I seen this coming awhile ago and cut some benefits/wages on all of my employees. Half of them weeded themselves out by quiting. It was like an deep cleansing for my company, something that was long overdue. Now were back to lean and mean, still looking slow this winter but I saved so maybe I'll work on my powder turns this winter.
        Definitely disagree. It is worst to be the one getting laid off... Out of work, no money, bills piling up, credit cards maxed out, possibly having to relocate family for another position, family depending on you. I have been laid off twice since 9/11. I would have much rather been on the other side. Respectively, you might rethink that one...
        If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

I'm in const. also. I sometimes don't know were to get my next job. It is so hard right now, but everybody try to keep there heads up. We will all benefit from this down the road.

Comment

Originally posted by skyski_tige View Post
            Definitely disagree. It is worst to be the one getting laid off... Out of work, no money, bills piling up, credit cards maxed out, possibly having to relocate family for another position, family depending on you. I have been laid off twice since 9/11. I would have much rather been on the other side. Respectively, you might rethink that one...
            I will agree Skyski. I've been laid off in the past, years ago when times were easier. Nothing worse than that gut wrenching feeling, especially with a young family. I can't imagine what it's like to be laid off now and i feel for those that are or will be.

I laid a guy off today, had no choice. It was him or me, in fact i've laid off three in two weeks. And at the end of the day I'll have a beer and tip it to him but reality is it will be forgotten by tomorrow as we press ahead in lean times.
            "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

Originally posted by skyski_tige View Post
              I have been on both ends and feel the one doing the layoffs is much more difficult although much shorter lived.

When I was at the bank in San Antonio I had 11 people working for me. I was told during the tumultuous period that I had to get rid of 6 people. That was the hardest thing I had ever done. One guy had a family with eight children, no money set aside, and significant debt. Seeing the look in his face, and the faces of the others was not at all pleasant. Being called names by these people was even worse.

I have also been laid off three times, one time for six months until I found more work. I made it through. Although it was not easy and there were some anxious moments, I survived. I learned to never accumulate CC debt, live within your means, cash for cars and boats. Most importantly I learned who were my true friends.
              Ray Thompson
              2005 22V

Comment

Originally posted by bentone View Post
                What kind of drafting do you do?
                CAD. I've got 7 years in custom cabinet design which, if you've never done, can be somewhat basic or ridiculously complex. I specialize in the latter, aka "The Guru". I started looking around at some other cad systems and most are quite similar. Just trying to find someone with a little bit of faith as it seems few think a cabinet guy can hack it. I ain't scared.
                Last edited by NICKYPOO; 11-05-2008, 03:33 PM.
                You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Well, if anyone has electronics and/or field service backgrounds we have positions open in Anchorage, Seattle, Spokane, and Portland.....all good paying jobs with excellent benefits. We are desperate to find qualified persons.......guess the "recession" is very industry dependent. I also know of 2 positions with hospitals in Corvallis and Eugene in the $40 and hr range and full benifits with PERS.

Comment

Originally posted by sparky216 View Post
                    Well, if anyone has electronics and/or field service backgrounds we have positions open in Anchorage, Seattle, Spokane, and Portland.....all good paying jobs with excellent benefits. We are desperate to find qualified persons.......guess the "recession" is very industry dependent. I also know of 2 positions with hospitals in Corvallis and Eugene in the $40 and hr range and full benifits with PERS.
                    What kind of field service?
                    "a what? i can['t] say/spell/pronounce that word..." - wannabewakeboarder
                    "the plural of boo is booze."

Comment

Originally posted by evil0ne View Post
                      What kind of field service?
                      Medical Imaging

Comment

Originally posted by Moki View Post
                        It will be another software company focused on self service tools

Don't be sorry, I am actually thrilled to be starting something new but thanks for the well wishes.

I knew about this when the economy was strong, but I am wondering how many jobs will be lost due the credit crisis. Economic downturns are actually a good time to start a new business. Labor is typically easier to find and it gives you a chance to get your business ramped up to catch the upswing.

I know car lots are laying off like crazy!!
                        Originally posted by G-MONEY
                        It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

I may have to come work for you Jeremy
                          Originally posted by G-MONEY
                          It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

How hard is that to learn? Does installing a boat stereo count as an electronics background? I am going to be needing a new careeer soon.
                            Let it be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xpjim1 View Post
                              How hard is that to learn? Does installing a boat stereo count as an electronics background? I am going to be needing a new careeer soon.
                              1. We have schools, not super easy but not overly hard either.....more the pressure/ hours/ travel that get people. Need basic electronics, good troubleshooting skills. The positions in Alaska require a lot more, but that's because your all alone.
                              2. No.
                              3. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
                                I may have to come work for you Jeremy
                                you already have a good job

Comment

Working...
                                X