Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new RZX2 - wake is terrible - what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
    Jason could speak to it more than I but I would bet GSA configured actuators have less of a failure rate but will still fail occasionally. The geometry of the actuators are a lot different between GSA and TAPS3 so I bet it helps. MasterCrafts GEN2 surf system has very similar actuator geometry to GSA and I'm still doing approximately an actuator a week on MCs. Got one sitting in front of the shop right now waiting to come in.
    That’s good to know. I think I’m pretty hard set on switching to the GSA, this winter, one way or another.. I can’t find a whole lot of Tige specific info on the swap, but I haven’t talked to GSA directly, yet. Maybe that’s where the answers are. I’m also not in a huge rush, as I’m not messing with it during boating season, anyways..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

If you watch all of GSA's install video's you'll see that there is really no specific brand information. They have a general spot that they mount all their tabs. I followed these videos when installing mine. The biggest thing to watch out for is being able to get the tab as high as possible when in the stowed position so it's not dragging at all in the water. So when the tab is all the way stowed on your boat it should be right next to your swim deck mounting bracket. If done right your tab will mounted between 3 and 4 inches from the outside edge of the transom.
      You could mount these tabs during a week no problem and still be ready for the weekend. If you wait till winter you'll be disappointed that you didn't do it sooner.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
        If you watch all of GSA's install video's you'll see that there is really no specific brand information. They have a general spot that they mount all their tabs. I followed these videos when installing mine. The biggest thing to watch out for is being able to get the tab as high as possible when in the stowed position so it's not dragging at all in the water. So when the tab is all the way stowed on your boat it should be right next to your swim deck mounting bracket. If done right your tab will mounted between 3 and 4 inches from the outside edge of the transom.
        You could mount these tabs during a week no problem and still be ready for the weekend. If you wait till winter you'll be disappointed that you didn't do it sooner.
        Agreed. It’s an afternoon job. In 95 degree heat and humidity. With lots of cussing because it’s so hot your phone keeps shutting off when you’re using the level app. And you’ll lose a couple lbs of sweat.

But the wave is MONEY! [emoji1787]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Interesting.. didn’t you mount yours where the existing taps plates were? I assumed that was the best mounting position, but would rather have them wherever is most effective. I was kinda hoping, for ease of install, that they came drilled and ready to mount in the old taps holes.. I guess the legit way to do them is probably pull all the taps gear off, repair the gel, then mount the GSA as a new install. Not exactly what I wanted to do, but not the end of the world, either..

I’ll have to watch those videos. I haven’t looked at their website even..

Comment

Interesting.. didn’t you mount yours where the existing taps plates were? I assumed that was the best mounting position, but would rather have them wherever is most effective. I was kinda hoping, for ease of install, that they came drilled and ready to mount in the old taps holes.. I guess the legit way to do them is probably pull all the taps gear off, repair the gel, then mount the GSA as a new install. Not exactly what I wanted to do, but not the end of the world, either..

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
              Jason could speak to it more than I but I would bet GSA configured actuators have less of a failure rate but will still fail occasionally. The geometry of the actuators are a lot different between GSA and TAPS3 so I bet it helps. MasterCrafts GEN2 surf system has very similar actuator geometry to GSA and I'm still doing approximately an actuator a week on MCs. Got one sitting in front of the shop right now waiting to come in.
              The failure rate with GSA is roughly 0. That system was perfected from a geometry standpoint. If you follow the rules which in turn keep the load under the rating specified by Lenco they just flat rip all the time. They also are deployed at rest which is why his system doesn't fail. Changes while underway obviously are done with load but the general use of the system is done before you even put the boat in gear which is why that system is so good.
              Germaine Marine
              "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post

Or you take your taps plate to a cnc guy, have him make a short L plate that has the identical taps 3 zipper pattern. Then you tig Ryans hinge onto that plate making sure you double check the correct offset. Send it out to machine polish and wham. Done with no gel coat issues.
                Germaine Marine
                "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
                  Or you take your taps plate to a cnc guy, have him make a short L plate that has the identical taps 3 zipper pattern. Then you tig Ryans hinge onto that plate making sure you double check the correct offset. Send it out to machine polish and wham. Done with no gel coat issues.
                  I think that’s the move. I saw Cole’s setup, and watched the GSA install videos this morning, which looks like the route to go.. I think I’ll probably throw a couple of transom lights on the old actuator holes, so I don’t don’t have to fill those either, since it would be grey gelcoat to repair. Definitely on the list for things that are going to be done. It looks like a night and day difference on the regular wave, especially!!

Comment

Are all the GSA plates the same or are the GSA plates tweaked a little for each boat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like they’re all the same. Looks like you take a, basically, universal kit and make it work. They might have a couple of Disaster Raft specific items, if I remember seeing that correctly, but nothing for Tige specifically.

Comment

Zack, the nice thing about building my own was that I was able to build the hinges to fit the existing holes in the transom. I didn't have to use an adapter bracket. I just made it to fit and look custom built for the boat. So not a universal kit made to work. I also liked it this way so that I could completely go back to TAPS3 if I ever wanted to. I have since sold off my taps3 tabs. No need for them anymore. I made a SS cover to go over the original upper mount holes.

There have been a few different versions of GSA tabs. I do not believe they sell the older versions anymore. Just the most current one. But yes, they are kind of a one size fits all. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. But it seems all the boat builders use their same systems for every size boat they make. Guess it doesn't matter much, but seems weird that a ZX5 and an R20 would have the same surf tabs.
                        Last edited by UNSTUCK; 07-26-2019, 04:11 AM.

Comment

Zack, the nice thing about building my own was that I was able to build the hinges to fit the existing holes in the transom. I didn't have to use an adapter bracket. I just made it to fit and look custom built for the boat. So not a universal kit made to work. I also liked it this way so that I could completely go back to TAPS3 if I ever wanted to. I have since sold off my taps3 tabs. No need for them anymore. I made a SS cover to go over the original upper mount holes.

There have been a few different versions of GSA tabs. I do not believe they sell the older versions anymore. Just the most current one. But yes, they are kind of a one size fits all. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. But it seems all the boat builders use their same systems for every size boat they make. Guess it doesn't matter much, but seems weird that a ZX5 and an R20 would have the same surf tabs.
                          I know brotha. I read your write up several times, and you impressed the hell out of me, with that build. I’m decent enough with a mig to get by, but have only used a tig once and that was on aluminum. I have a buddy that’s purely a fab guy, with a CNC, and I could probably get a set out of him that would be just as nice as factory, but it would probably cost me as much or more to make one set through him. You and Cole are the guys that made me start looking real hard at the GSA tabs for mine, mostly because my regular wave is so lackluster, compared to my goofy.

I would way rather they sold a “RZX” kit, but it kinda is what it is.. seems like a better design than Taps, so I’ll be making the jump. I guess that’s obvious as Tige is switching to them, on our hulls, too!

Comment

If you can just purchase the tabs from Jason, that's all the kit you need. There's nothing else to buy. Well maybe a nice looking cover plate for your old transom mount screw holes. But I could send you those if you wanted. Check my thread I just gave kind of a lengthy answer to your install question.

Oh, and I have very little time on a TIG as well. This project was the first time I ever TIG welded SS. I found it much easier than welding aluminum. It was a fun project. If your buddy can cut the pieces, I can send you my files. They're not 100% GSA, but obviously close enough.

Comment

If you can just purchase the tabs from Jason, that's all the kit you need. There's nothing else to buy. Well maybe a nice looking cover plate for your old transom mount screw holes. But I could send you those if you wanted. Check my thread I just gave kind of a lengthy answer to your install question.

Oh, and I have very little time on a TIG as well. This project was the first time I ever TIG welded SS. I found it much easier than welding aluminum. It was a fun project. If your buddy can cut the pieces, I can send you my files. They're not 100% GSA, but obviously close enough.
                              Exactly, if I can buy them from him, I will go that route and have my guy make me the adapter to mount them.. it looked like you had your mounting plate in CAD, or something, I may hit you up for those. I might just throw transom lights, just because on the old actuator mounts.. I was already planning on adding 2 more.. block off plates would be my backup plan..

It looked like you had a good time with it.. I would need a whole bunch more tig practice before I took that on!! And, apparently someone to polish it for me!! I would probably get them anodized after reading your polishing experience!!

Comment

Sorry to derail the GSA conversation for a moment (which I do find very interesting), but I thought I’d give a little update on the original topic...

THE WAKE ON MY RZX2 IS NO LONGER TERRIBLE!!!

I got the boat back on the water today after changing out the actuators. Totally different boat now. The wake is fantastic and very easy to dial in.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me solve this problem!

Brent

Comment

Working...
                                X