Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My new RZX2 - wake is terrible - what am I doing wrong?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new RZX2 - wake is terrible - what am I doing wrong?

Hi,

This is my first post on the Tige owners forum. I hope I’m posting this question in the right place.

I just took delivery of a gently used 2018 Tige RZX2 two days ago. I absolutely love the boat except for one “slightly important” detail — I cannot for the life of me dial in a decent surf wake. I was able to obtain a marginally surfable wake yesterday, but it was much worse than what I’ve been surfing on a friend’s GS22 and even another friend’s 2006 Mobius. So I am clearly doing something wrong.

I just took the boat out on the lake this morning while things were calm to play around with settings. I tried different ballast fills including all ballasts full and then only back ballasts full and 60-80% full in the front and I also tried dumping some weight from the right rear tank. I tried every possible TAPS and Surf configuration and just couldn’t achieve anything respectable. At best, I end up with a very short, steep and very messy (i.e. tons of wash) wake. I made sure I was in at least 25+ feet of water.

My boat is equipped with the stock underfloor ballast plus the rear plug and play bags.

Does anyone have any recommendations for what I should try next? I am assuming I should at least be able to get a reasonably good wake with my current ballast setup without having to add lead.

Thank you!

Brent

I have been playing around with the exact same boat you are in right now. I'll make this quick and easy and hopefully add some pictures when I have more time.

The key is favor the surf side with a little extra weight - with people, lead or drain the offside bag. I also add weight to the nose but the stock ballast will work fine.

100% balls full + 200#s in the nose
    11.1 speed
    3/3 regular - 2/3 goofy

Then favor the surf side with weight - drain the offside bag by 10% until it cleans up. (disclaimer) this work when all other weight is even. If you have 5 people on the port side and trying to surf the STBD side, this setup or any other won't work.

Comment

Hey I have the same boat.

I always run it equal. As in same left and right side ballast. Only thing I do is move people if the boat is leaning a bit so it stays flat.

Front needs to be full 100

Tears I have pnp and I typically run

60 to 100

100 full full when I’m surfing.

A lot of people say start at 5 and 5.

I run surf taps at 5 and center taps at 7.

I have 500 of lead. 100 under drivers seat and opposite spot on passenger side along with 150 under the benches on rear seats pushed out to the sides.

Surf at 11.4 to 11.6

Trick is bow in my opinion if you don’t get the bow up enough the wave suffers but if it’s too high the wave is just short and too steep.

https://youtu.be/NDs54qH6WRM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for your advice/suggestions!

I took the boat out this morning. I got a pretty decent, clean, long wake with 100% front and rear ballast on the left and 40% ballast (front and rear) on the right. This was at 11.1 MPH with TAPS and Surf both set at 1. I was on the driver seat and my 70 pound 8 year old was on the port side. The wake looked pretty with those settings, but I didn’t surf it this morning. I’ll be going back out later this morning with more people and we’ll see how that wave actually surfs.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by BrentB; 07-08-2019, 01:54 PM.

Comment

You need to sink that thing some more to get some height out of that wave.. I’d fill everything, and start taps and surf at 4-4, and make small adjustments from there. If you have taps on 1, you’re just forcing the *** out of the water, where you want it to sink into that water.

I fill everything until it’s puking water out of the sides. Stick people and lead in the bow. And add as much weight to rider side as I can, whether that’s lead, water, people, or whatever. Only then, if I need more lean or bow rise, then I’ll dump some off side weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Zackdogg View Post
            You need to sink that thing some more to get some height out of that wave.. I’d fill everything, and start taps and surf at 4-4, and make small adjustments from there. If you have taps on 1, you’re just forcing the *** out of the water, where you want it to sink into that water.

I fill everything until it’s puking water out of the sides. Stick people and lead in the bow. And add as much weight to rider side as I can, whether that’s lead, water, people, or whatever. Only then, if I need more lean or bow rise, then I’ll dump some off side weight.

When I filled all the ballast including the rear bags to 100% and set Surf/TAPS to 4/4 the wake on the left was not surfable. When I switch the wake to the right side, however, it was very nice. I’ve noticed a HUGE (not subtle) difference between the right side/goofy wake and the left sided wake no matter the settings or ballast fill. It seems like it’s very easy to get a very good wake on the right, but I really struggle to get anything surfable on the left. I know it’s not unusual to have a better wake on the right than left due to prop rotation, but this difference is drastic. Is it possible that the surf plates need to be reset or recalibrated. Is there a way to check them out of the water without the engine running?

Comment

Super common. Almost everyone that rides with us is regular, and I’m goofy, which makes me real happy for dialing my own wake. It’s also a lot easier for me, because I can set it up, and stick someone in the driver’s seat, for the most part, for me to ride..

I just had that problem, for the first time, and my actuators were failing, so it’s definitely a possibility.. replacing them fixed my issue..

You can get into dealer mode on your screen, on the trailer, code is 9191, and run a surf demo. It will simulate surfing to check the actuators. If these are failing, you’ll never get the wave right, so they should be the first thing you check.

Comment

I have a 16, which makes it a little easier to dial, because there are still bow rise and lean indicators on the ballast screen. The guys that know the most on here recommend dialing you wave to the rise and lean, instead of what the ballast numbers are, as they can vary due to a bunch of different factors.

You can use your phone to get an idea of where you are on these angles, though...

I also had a bunch of struggles getting mine dialed, took me all last summer. Not sure if that’s out of the norm, or not. I ended up with 1200# of lead, and we run a big crew, most days, which sucks, but is the reality of it. I don’t have PnP, so you’ve got that extra weight, but without extra bow weight, I don’t know if I would have ever gotten there.. I run 500# of lead in my bow, plus there are usually at least 2 people up there, probably 300# combined, on average.

Comment

You may have a bad lenco. I did last year and it failed about 15 hours into owning the boat.

If the actuator is defective you won’t get a wave.

Perhaps that is your issues as normally full bags and 5/5 are pretty close.

As others have said sink tha thing down and get the nose up.

If o have my center taps anything lower than 4 it’s not ideal for a nice surf wave.

Use your iPhone download inclinometer and make sure your 8 to 9 of bow rise. List is pretty easy 5 ish and your good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I pulled the boat out of the lake tonight and while I haven’t yet had a chance to run the dealer demo on the surf plates (as suggested above) I did notice that the two surf plates are not at the same angle in what I assume should be their neutral position. Is this normal (to compensate for prop rotation?) or should these plates be level with each other?ED1BDF6E-2495-40E5-99AB-892EEFAEBED9.jpg

Comment

That left one is definitely wrong.. they warranty them without any question, because they fail so often. Good news is it’s an easy fix, you’ll have new ones, and you should have a wave after.

Comment

It should be the same angle, mirrored, as the right one, in stowed position..

Comment

Comment

Port actuator needs replaced. It's not retracting fully which means its interfering with your regular wave(not enough stowed angle). The more you list to the port side the more its interfereing with your wave. You can try dumping the master switch and engaging surf mode as it will run another retract cycle in attempt to get the plate all the way up so it has a starting point, but actuator replacement is the fix. After the port actuator deploys for your goofy wave things are going to be off as it's not retracting

Comment

Thank you all for your help! I really appreciate it. I’ll update you all once the problem is corrected.

Brent

Comment

Working...
                              X