Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mission Boat Gear Delta - Universal Surf Gate!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@yankees39 yes they are just shelf brackets from Lowes

@unstuck I'm planning on testing it out next weekend and then cutting it down if necessary, my boat is currently waiting on a new drive plate and coupler thanks to some bad repairs done at Petersen Marine, please no one go there!

Comment

Originally posted by Captainkurk72 View Post
      I vote that the "Chop it like its hot" goes on the outside for everyone to see

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Haha I should, just keeping it real, I could have removed it but just left it, I guess if I cut the board I could remove it but why it's so classy!

Comment

@culrich77. Thanks!

Comment

Well, mine was an epic fail.
          Definitely recommend a tether. Mine wouldn't stay on for more than a minute or two.

By the time we felt we had a decent position that produced a good wave, the suction cup had a complete failure and tore off.

We then listed the boat and had a great time for the rest of the day. Seriously considering just forgetting about these gimmicks, and just focusing on a better ballast switching solution.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
            Well, mine was an epic fail.
            Definitely recommend a tether. Mine wouldn't stay on for more than a minute or two.

By the time we felt we had a decent position that produced a good wave, the suction cup had a complete failure and tore off.

We then listed the boat and had a great time for the rest of the day. Seriously considering just forgetting about these gimmicks, and just focusing on a better ballast switching solution.

You need to use aluminum one available on Amazon and go with shelf brackets to handle and hdpe. It is much stronger. I have used mine on three different boats and it has been a huge success. Don't give up.

Comment

The rubber turned out to be the weak link.

Comment

Interesting. So the rubber tore? That's the first we've heard of this. How big was your gate?

Comment

Where did you get the mounting hardware?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Anyone read the patent application on this? I have made a few that work great on my RZR and my buddies boats. I want to see if I can work around the patent with some improvements and actually sell some of these. I have had more then one person approach me.

Comment

Originally posted by mschmidt33 View Post
                      Anyone read the patent application on this? I have made a few that work great on my RZR and my buddies boats. I want to see if I can work around the patent with some improvements and actually sell some of these. I have had more then one person approach me.
                      I have not reviewed the patent, as I have no personal interest at this point to review it, but I do hold a few patents. At the end of the day, the truly patented portion will be clearly covered in the "claims" of the patent. The majority of the patent that describes the design, function...is basically all summarized in the "claims". I have had on instance that I needed to involve an attorney regarding a possible infringement and they went straight to our claims and compared against the infringing item. A fairly quick review (still cost us +/- $15K) made a fairly clear case and a letter was sent out and that was the end of it.

So, if you want to get a basic feel for what they are covered for on their patent, just check out the claims.

Full Disclosure: I am NOT a patent attorney/agent. Just sharing my experience. If you were to proceed with marketing, I would suggest reviewing your design with a patent attorney/agent. There are several of these types of things hitting the market and they are all claiming patented or pending.

Also note: Anything that is claiming patent pending will not have the claims available to the public as during the application process, there is a limited time that they can make changes to the patent submission. Also, not everything that is patent pending will receive the patent and in some cases they may find that they are actually infringing on an existing patent.

Best of luck.
                      "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

My guess would be the suction cups are the main claim. You will need to either scrap that idea, or figure out how to make the suction cup better. Most in home builders won't be able to do that on their own. I'd bet you'd be okay to sell them to your buddies, under the table kind of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Detonate View Post
                          The rubber turned out to be the weak link.

What do you mean the rubber was the weak point the rubber for the suction cup I presume ?

Comment

Just ordered up a suction cup handle to try one of these for myself and see what it does.

Comment

I'm going to run my DIY gate for the first time this weekend. I figure I'll build one of these HOD units after I'm disappointed with it.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

I just came across this forum after looking into the mission delta. I would order one but doesn't look like I will have it by 4 of July week which is my busiest week of the year for boating/surfing. Icemanftr, your design looks to work very well so I will probably try to replicate it. Couple of questions for everyone though. Would adding some holes help reduce drag like the Delta had? Also, any great ideas to make this float so if the suction fails you are not out all of your hard work?

Comment

Working...
                                X