Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to perform a "quick winterization" (Marine Power engine)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Follow that upstream and you’ll run into the transmission cooler. I remove the hose off the back of it there because there is a screen built into it that needs to be cleaned off periodically. Also the hose that leads out of it into the impeller housing can hold a bit of water so I push it up to drain that too.

Comment

I also like to take a piece of stiff wire and probe in the block drain holes. Sometimes sediment can accumulate and keep all the water from draining out which is no bueno.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Wanted to respond in this thread to keep the relevance up. Great guide. On the transmission cooler drain - In the below picture I think the Transmission cooler is to the left, and the white canister/filter housing to the right.. Is this where you are pulling the host to drain? Or, to the left of the cooler? (Other side of engine mount, not pictured). Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. (For reference, this is starboard side, directly under the knock sensor and oil filter)

CoolingHose.jpg

Comment

Pull the hose off between the cooler and the water filter.

Comment

Got you. So the hose clamp connection to the white tee in the picture above.

Consider it pulled.

Comment

Suggestion: You may find it easier to pull the hose off the intercooler instead of the filter. The filter appears to have a Sch80 plastic hose barb, which have very aggressive barbs that make it extremely difficult to remove the hose without damaging the hose, the barb, or both. Meanwhile, the intercooler is likely metal and may only have a single "rib" toward the end of its hose fitting, and its hose clamp cinches down between this "rib" and the body of the intercooler. I've found it much easier to remove that hose clamp and then slide the hose off the intercooler with no damage to anything.

I've actually stopped removing hoses from those Sch80 barbs. Now I just carefully slit the hose along the barbs, peel it away, and use new hose. Another good reason to open a different connection if one is available, and in this case one is just inches away.

Once you have the hose disconnected, remember to use a shopvac and suck on both the open end of the intercooler and the open end of the hose. Do this after you've removed the raw water pump and opened the V-drive drain plug so there is a path for air to flow into the portion of the system you're vacuuming. It's remarkable how much extra water you can pull out this way.

Comment

That's good advice. Honestly, that water strainer looke like it has PVC twist releases on the T Junction. Part of me wonders if you couldnt remove the basket and turn the whole fixture upside down? It may tighten one and loosen the other which would cause an issue..

Comment

Originally posted by BrentP View Post
                  That's good advice. Honestly, that water strainer looke like it has PVC twist releases on the T Junction. Part of me wonders if you couldnt remove the basket and turn the whole fixture upside down? It may tighten one and loosen the other which would cause an issue..
                  I doubt there's clearance under the hose for the canister. He'd probably have to lengthen at least one of the hoses. I did think it was weird to have the filter mounted there, and in that orientation. Generally they're mounted high on the rear seatback to reduce syphoning and to make it easier to clean the filter inside the canister. Where this is mounted it doesn't provide any filter protection for the V-drive (if his boat has one). Granted the V-drive is a large bore cooling passage but still - why not have the filter be the first thing in the circuit?

Comment

You think that filter was added after production?

Comment

Yes

Comment

That would be my guess. I've never seen one installed in such a location, nor upside down, and I don't think Tige would have done either of those things at the factory. You kinda want the filter "basket" oriented normally so sediment tends to settle at the bottom of the filter, rather than settling on the water input/output openings in the cap. That's almost asking for blockage of your cooling system.

Comment

I dont think it was an option for a 340.
                          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I wonder why then.. is it a known issue if you don't have it? Trying to understand the logic there.

Comment

PO could have boated in trashy water and the strainer will catch small debris before it enters the engine.

Comment

as for me it was a very bad idea to pull out the hose. And let the water run. Because of the fact that there is a dense cover it holds all that flow of water. I would in your https://cbdhungerlab.com 
 place did used exactly as it is even logically correct. and it is clear why everything you have successfully turned out

Comment

Working...
                                X