Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to perform a "quick winterization" (Marine Power engine)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skyski_tige View Post
    You can remove your batteries in two minutes - WOW
    On my 240EFI, yes. It's a single battery and it's super accessible. Loosen the two terminal clamps to remove the cables, loosen the retaining bracket, and it lifts straight up out of the engine compartment. Two minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
      Done, if you aren't worried about changing lubricants and all the other normal maintenance steps as described in the manuals. The whole point of changing lubes at winterization is to prevent water, if any, from sitting in there all those months.

Take good care of your equipment, and it will take good care of you. The opposite is also true.
      We use our boat year round so the need for winterization is not really there.
      If its not fun, Why do it?

Comment

On my 240EFI, yes. It's a single battery and it's super accessible. Loosen the two terminal clamps to remove the cables, loosen the retaining bracket, and it lifts straight up out of the engine compartment. Two minutes.
        I have 2 batteries and it looks intense to remove them. I am sure it will be fast.

Comment

We use our boat year round so the need for winterization is not really there.
          So why did you say the following?

Winterizing -
          1. remove passenger access cover
          2. place heater in storage area and set to 32 degrees
          Done...

Comment

I have 2 batteries and it looks intense to remove them. I am sure it will be fast.
            My 24Ve is probably much like your RZ2, and yes it is more difficult. But as noted, I was talking about my 240EFI.

BTW, removing dual batteries isn't all that hard. Remove the access panel, undo the connections, undo the straps, and pull them out.

I recommend using a tyrap or similar device to keep all same-terminal cables associated with each other while the batteries are out. There's a lot of cables under there and it would be easy to mix them up when you reinstall the batteries.

Comment

So why did you say the following?
              Just putting what I do in 'Northern' terms... I change fluids when needed but no need to remove water based on freezing...

Comment

Originally posted by Shuswap14 View Post
                Matt, great post. Up here in Canada, our Tige dealer also runs RV antifreeze through the engine as their last step. I know they need to run the engine to temp to get the thermostat open but Im unclear how to get the antifreeze flowing through. Where is the best place to tie in your garden hose while running the engine and can you pump the antifreeze through the same spot till your sure its full up? Ive got the Mercury Service manual, but cant find anything related to that in it. I have a 98 22i.
                This is a little late but is for others with this question. Here is a video of what I've done. I now use a lot of duct tape to attach the hose. Attachment really depends on the hose you use. Mine is rated for something like 100 psi anti collapse.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxqU1wjkU_k
                Last edited by gfsugar2plus; 05-04-2011, 09:47 PM.

Comment

anybody know if this is the same procedure for a 2003 merc mag 350 315hp motor?

Comment

Originally posted by topaz surfer View Post
                    anybody know if this is the same procedure for a 2003 merc mag 350 315hp motor?
                    Winterizing any marine inboard and getting any boat ready for winter storage is the same general procedure. So the steps outlined here can be applied to the merc, but some of the details, such as the number of drain plugs and location, will be different.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I bought my boat in december and had to winterize it when I got it up here to canada from seattle (had it blown out and drained in seattle) After reading the posts now i feel nervous I ran it up to temp. then removed the water that was running into it and just started to pour rv coolant in until it was pure coolant running out the exhaust. I had put fuel stabalizer in while it ran to temp tank was less than 1/4 and I foged the cylinders. Am I going to have problems? or will the cooland go through the tranny and v-drive as well? This is what I did for my older malibu direct drive as well and it worked good. I took the hose off at the inlet on the bottome of the hull where it comes in from the lake and ran it through this hose.

Comment

Matt,
                        I am unable to open the pictures in 6-7 and 9. They look useful. Any suggestions on getting them. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by johntroy View Post
                          Matt,
                          I am unable to open the pictures in 6-7 and 9. They look useful. Any suggestions on getting them. Thanks.
                          Unfortunately I dont have the pictures anymore. I lost some data a few years ago when the site crashed and I couldnt recover them. I apologize.

If you have any questions feel free to ask, most of us can help with any question you may have.

Comment

I have a 2006 24ve Vortec 380hp, and i having a hell of a time trying to find the starboard brass drain plug for the engine block. Can anyone out there give me some advice so I can locate.
                            Other than that this Forum has been a great help!
                            Thanks!

Comment

Its the knock sensor.
                              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by tigeyyc View Post
                                I have a 2006 24ve Vortec 380hp, and i having a hell of a time trying to find the starboard brass drain plug for the engine block. Can anyone out there give me some advice so I can locate.
                                Other than that this Forum has been a great help!
                                Thanks!
                                If you have the 6.0l engine you do not need to drain the block as it has antifreeze in it already.

Comment

Working...
                                X