Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to perform a "quick winterization" (Marine Power engine)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to perform a "quick winterization" (Marine Power engine)

The following article will discuss how to remove drain plugs, knock sensors and a transmission cooler plug for Marine Power engines. * Doing this procedure drains water from the engine block and heater hoses which prevents water from freezing in the engine block during the winter months. Not removing water from the engine block could possibly crack the engine block.

If you are not comfortable with using this article as a “quick winterization” guide please take your Tigé to your nearest Tigé dealer. Not winterizing your boat properly could severly damage your engine.

The pictures below were taken from a Z1, RZ2 and 22Ve however the same should apply for recent Marine Power engines. Thank you for the members who contributed the images.

*Disclaimer: The following instructions are provided as a guide only. By following the instructions in this article, you are doing so at your own risk. TigéOwners.com, Tigé and the author of this article will not be held responsible for any damage that may occur to you or your boat as a result of the steps below.

* Note - I refer to this guide as a “quick winterization” as this only refers to draining the water from the engine. Some dealers or individuals prefer to fog the engine, add ant-freeze, remove and charge the batteries and put Stabil in the gas. I personally use this method since I take my boat out a few times during the winter months.

Tools Needed:
    • 3/4 Wrench
    • 7/16 Wrench
    • Flat head screw driver
    • Heater hose or something similar (old garden hose) (not required)

Time Involved :
    20-30 Minutes

Step 1.
    Removing drain plugs.
    As illustrated in the picture below Marine Power engines have a total of 2 drain plugs (blue or silver colored) , 2 engine block plugs (knock sensors) and 1 transmission cooler plug. A total of 5 plugs will need to be removed.

Step 2.
    Starting on the port side unscrew the blue or silver drain plug. It does not matter which side you start on.

Step 3.
    Next remove the connectors that are connected to the knock sensors. These just “snap” off. To remove them use your thumb and press down on the connector head then pull straight back. In the picture below this is the “white” connector attached to the knock sensor.

Step 4.
    Use a 3/4” wrench and unscrew the knock sensor plug. In this case a short 3/4” wrench is best since it’s a tight fit.

Step 5.
    Moving on to the starboard side, repeat steps 2, 3 and 4.

Step 6.
    On the starboard side, locate and remove the transmission cooler plug. The transmission cooler looks like a small can and is located towards the bottom of the bilge near the back of the engine. There is a hose connected to it. Use a 7/16” wrench to remove this plug. The plug is located between the transmission cooler and hose. It is the hose that goes toward the boat, not the rear. The plug faces directly down towards the bilge. You can try to "feel" for the plug before you get your wrench in there. Getting your hand and wrench in there is a tight fit so take your time. Some members also find it easier to just remove the hose clamp that is attached to the transmission cooler (see the picture below). This method works just as well.

If you do not have a heater you can skip this step and call it a day as this is the last step of the winterization process.

Step 7.
    Removing the heater hoses and drain the water from the heater core.
    Heaters are typically located in the starboard bow storage (in front of drivers side).
    Remove the two screw clamps with a screw driver and pull heater hoses off spouts.

Step 8.
    Blow compressed air through both hoses. I use my mouth (dont worry its not gonna kill you). You should blow all the water through until you no longer have pressure and can hear the water gurgling down the hoses.

Step 9.
    Blow compressed air through the heater spouts. These are the copper tipped pipes. I use a 2 ft spare heater hose that I connect to the spout. You could also use something similar such as a garden hose as long as there is a snug fit. Once attached I blow any additional water out of the heater core. Do this for both spouts. It is possible that you may not need to blow air through the heater core since there is not a lot of water but I like to for peace of mind.

Step 10.
    Open up a beer and sit back and relax as you have just finished a quick winterization.

To “summerize” simply reconnect everything you removed.
    Last edited by Matt Garcia; 10-07-2010, 02:55 PM.

Glad to see this info all together as a "sticky" now. I would like to add just a couple things.

If you have a Pre-07 Marine Power, it will have only one knock sensor and it will be located on the port side. The starboard side of the engine will have a std brass drain plug.

It's not a bad idea to pull the outlet hose off the top of the impeller housing to let the water drain there. Due to the tight fit of the housing, water can be held on top of the impeller, and not drain when the hose/plug is removed from the transmission cooler.

I highly recommend that once the engine is done draining, which is about 5 minutes, reinstall all plugs and hoses. This way, nothing gets lost or forgotten over the winter months.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Mike, thanks for the notes. I figured someone was going to correct me at least a few times, which is a good thing since I knew I would overlook a few things.

If anyone else has any suggestions please post here and I will update the post.

Thanks,
      Matt

Comment

I thought getting the tranny cooler plug off was tough....Until I had to put it back on.

Comment

What about the shower hoses? I disconnected mine where they attach to the engine and it was tough. It's just a hose clamp but the hose itself was so tight I had to pry off with a flat head screwdriver and thought I was going to damage the hose itself, just trying to get it off. If it's not needed I will let it go next year. There was a comment about putting things back on after draining. I also have a 24' Rinker, that I have had for 20 years, and last year I thought I would put everything back together so that I was ready in the spring, and there was enough water trapped that it froze and had nowhere to go and cracked the block. So, it may not be a good idea to reconnect until spring. Sostler

Comment

Matt, great post. Up here in Canada, our Tige dealer also runs RV antifreeze through the engine as their last step. I know they need to run the engine to temp to get the thermostat open but Im unclear how to get the antifreeze flowing through. Where is the best place to tie in your garden hose while running the engine and can you pump the antifreeze through the same spot till your sure its full up? Ive got the Mercury Service manual, but cant find anything related to that in it. I have a 98 22i.

Comment

I have found it easier to just remove the trans cooler hose and let the water drain there instead of trying to get to the plug. Any reason this shouldn't work?
              Wilson

Comment

That's the way do it. I found it to be way easier then pulling and reinstalling the plug.
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

That's right, I think I learned this from you. Thanks.
                  Wilson

Comment

Newbie question. If I remove the trans cooler hose do I need to do anything on the V drive? I have been searching but have not found anything that says to take any drain plugs out of the V drive.

Comment

Originally posted by skippabcool View Post
                      Newbie question. If I remove the trans cooler hose do I need to do anything on the V drive? I have been searching but have not found anything that says to take any drain plugs out of the V drive.
                      I never bothered to pull the V-drive plug(s). Most of the water drains back out of the scoop once the boat it pulled from the water, or the fake-a-lake is pulled, then draining the trans cooler gets the water out of that side of the system.

Comment

Matt:

In our area, NW Arkansas the shops use antifreeze. If you used antifreeze would you drain everything, put the plugs in and run antifreeze?

Or would you run antifreeze and then drain the system? It seems that the second option is best to me?

Comment

Originally posted by CLCrismon View Post
                          Matt:

In our area, NW Arkansas the shops use antifreeze. If you used antifreeze would you drain everything, put the plugs in and run antifreeze?

Or would you run antifreeze and then drain the system? It seems that the second option is best to me?
                          Good question. Unfortunately I dont the right answer on this one as I have never used antifreeze. Hopefully some of the members who use antifreeze can elaborate.

Comment

Originally posted by CLCrismon View Post
                            Matt:

Draining the antifreeze after running it in is like smoking pot and not inhaling

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                              I never bothered to pull the V-drive plug(s). Most of the water drains back out of the scoop once the boat it pulled from the water, or the fake-a-lake is pulled, then draining the trans cooler gets the water out of that side of the system.
                              Caution: If you have a intake strainer (like my boat does), the water might NOT drain back out of the thru-hull scoop. My intake strainer is mounted near the top of the engine compartment, making the v-drive a low point in the system.

When I removed my v-drive's plug, a WHOLE bunch of water came streaming out. I presume I was draining the drive along with both of its hoses; when I later disconnected the hose on the transmission cooler it was basically empty so I think its water flowed out the v-drive. (On the trailer, the v-drive is lower than the cooler.)

The v-drive's drain plug is probably the easiest plug to access, remove, and reinstall. I wouldn't skip it. Just my $0.02.

Comment

Working...
                              X