Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to perform a "quick winterization" (Marine Power engine)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks, I can only find a knock sensor on the Port side.

Comment

Originally posted by tigeyyc View Post
      Thanks, I can only find a knock sensor on the Port side.
      You do not need to remove it. You need to just drain the raw water side of things.

Comment

Originally posted by lee View Post
        If you have the 6.0l engine you do not need to drain the block as it has antifreeze in it already.
        Wow, thank's for the reply Lee! That's the 1st time i have heard that!!It is the 6L engine. That solves my winterizing issue. So just to make it clear, this engine does not use any water throughout the engine block, just antifreeze(dextrose)? That woulkd explain why I have had to fill up my antifreeze reservoir 3-4 times in the spring as the mechanic was probably draining all the antifreeze out when he was winterizing! This is why I decided to do it myself, because he had no idea where the antifreeze was going! I have drained all the pipes that have water in them, and have accidentally drained some of the antifreeze in some of the other pipes, so i have topped up my antifreeze for the winter storage months.

Comment

You still need to fog the cylinders and treat the fuel.

Comment

Is there any place on top of the engine to pour antifreeze into the engine after the water is drained? I am asking about the area on top of the engine where four hoses come together. Is there any reason to not add antifreeze to this area?
            Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

I always take the top of the "J" hose off and pour the antifreeze in that. You need to empty the water out first.

Comment

Hello all, new to this site and a new Tige owner. I have a 2008 Tige 22Ve with the Marine Power 5.7L 340hp motor. Is this Quick Winterization procedure adequate for my boat? Any assistance or direction for winterizing my boat would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance. This site is great.

Comment

Do the exhaust manifolds hold any water?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by skiguy View Post
                    Do the exhaust manifolds hold any water?
                    Yes they do.

Comment

Yes they do.
                      Thanks! Figured that out today. A simple nylon wing handled plug with an o-ring was unscrewed to drain the manifolds.

Note: after I remove the hose from the front side of the trans cooler I pull the emergency cutoff switch and turn the motor a few times to evacuate any water out of the water pump.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by lukefoster View Post
                        Hello all, new to this site and a new Tige owner. I have a 2008 Tige 22Ve with the Marine Power 5.7L 340hp motor. Is this Quick Winterization procedure adequate for my boat? Any assistance or direction for winterizing my boat would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance. This site is great.
                        It's the exact procedure to use. You'll have a knock sensor on each side of the block. The first time I did it I thought I had to be missing something because it's so easy but as long as you pull the plugs on each exhaust manifold(2, one each side, either blue or gray in color), the 2 knock sensors(one each side directly below the spark plugs). The sensors have two spots for a wrench to go on, don't use the outside one. Put a 3/4 wrench on the inside part to loosen it. Then either pull the plug on the bottom of the tranny cooler or pull the hose off the front of it(much easier) and push the hose down into the bilge so it's lower than the drive. Also while you have that hose off the front of the tranny cooler put your finger into the cooler, there is a screen in it that will collect some muck and weeds. Scrape that shite off of it and reassemble the hose to it. I leave all my knock sensors and plugs out for the winter and reinstall in the spring. Put them in a bag in your glove box for safe keeping. Extra insurance

Comment

Also need to drain the "J" hose on the front of the engine.

Comment

Also need to drain the "J" hose on the front of the engine.
                            Is the J hose the one that goes to the water pump housing?

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
                              Is the J hose the one that goes to the water pump housing?
                              It goes from the thermostat housing to the circulation pump.

Comment

20181104_125229.jpg
                                Is this where I need to remove the transmission coolant line? I did and water came out. This was after both plugs, knock sensors, and water strainer were drained.

Comment

Working...
                                X