No announcement yet.

Alternator Upgrade Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that looks just like my alt. I'm almost positive it is. I'll have to get the pics and numbers and see.
    Originally posted by G-MONEY
    It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Jeff, I'm going to send your info and contact to him.
      http://www.wakeboatworld.com
      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

obewankanobe (aka spharis),

Based on my configuration of my amps XA4000 and XA5000, eventually 3 batteries, and tower lights (used sparingly and most likely not at the same time as the tower speakers.) What amps would you recommend - 100 or something higher?

Comment

I think an alternator below 90A is a waste if you want to get your batteries charged quickly. You have to figure an alt puts out about 60% at idle. So idling, you would have 55-65A available. I'm not a pro at this, but I would go with at least a 100A. That will top your started battery back off in under 10minutes, while everything else is running.
          []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Just an update. DB alts sent a stator off to get hand wound today (most of their alts are hand wound) in a case like the one JeffT posted; thanks to Jeff for the pics. Ron says if the quality comes out like they have been having with the Delco Units(a little smaller case) then it may be able to do 175-200A, putting out 90-120A at idle. I will pass on info to you guys once he has the winding back and has completed the assembly and tested. If anyone has any other types of alts, if you want to take some photos, and wait on the results of this, then they can probably build you one as well. The older model Tige's like mine use a Motorola?? alternator. They can be replaced with a 1-wire. We (Ron and I) are still testing a few more things to be sure the fit and function is there. Those replacements will be in the 130A range, 65-85ish at idle I think he said. The case size is the limiter on that. more details will come.

One more note, you can see the difference in these photos. Notice the coating on the winding of JeffT's alt. That is the ignition protection. That coating allows that particular alt to not need the flame arrestor (screens) like others have. But take a look at the second picture and you can see a spot where the epoxy has worn off, or didn't coat well, and you can see the copper.

A pic of mine is below so you can compare, Jeff's is below it and further up in this thread.

Mine

JeffT's
            Last edited by spharis; 11-30-2006, 10:53 PM.
            []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

wow, sounds great. Would love to have an alt pushing out that much!! I'll have pics today, I hope.

Comment

I was planning on getting a battery iso that was at least double the alt amps. If we are able to secure a 175 amp alt, how big of an iso would I need. I don't remember seeing one bigger than 170 amp.

Comment

Your isolator only needs to equal the amperage of the alt. Above that is wasting money. The rating on those refers to the total the switch can handle....they are also usually rated with about a 60%.

Some more info on the alts. Ron sent me a message today that they are getting things together to get Coast Gaurd approval on whatever they are working on.
                  I invented something and we need coastguard certified approvall. I want to build the biggest alts I can, and own the GM marine scene
                  []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis
                    Your isolator only needs to equal the amperage of the alt. Above that is wasting money. The rating on those refers to the total the switch can handle....they are also usually rated with about a 60%.

Some more info on the alts. Ron sent me a message today that they are getting things together to get Coast Gaurd approval on whatever they are working on.

that would be totally awesome if it works!! I'm going to wait I'm in on this!!

Comment

He's going to let me know something as soon as they get anywhere with the paperwork. I'll post here.
                      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

thats awesome. I think I"ll wait then to see what he gets. I'll be waiting......

Comment

Well,
                          I just bought my alt.....150A.....sweet....I'm going to take video of the voltmeter before and after. I should have it Monday-ish.

All interested in the HO-alts for the newer boats, research is still being done for the USCG approval. I'll keep you posted. If enough of you can get together, a group buy can be done. It is going to be a few weeks out though.

-S
                          []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

a group buy would be SWEET!!

Comment

Can we move the group buy out 'till after the holiday? Christmas is killing me!
                              "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
                                Well,
                                I just bought my alt.....150A.....sweet....I'm going to take video of the voltmeter before and after. I should have it Monday-ish.

All interested in the HO-alts for the newer boats, research is still being done for the USCG approval. I'll keep you posted. If enough of you can get together, a group buy can be done. It is going to be a few weeks out though.

-S
                                Count me in!

Comment

Working...
                                X