Alternator Upgrade Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Domsz06 View Post
    well I was the loudest boat in OK, cali is a little bit bigger, so I gotta go alot bigger. I may not be the loudest, but gonna be darn close.

I need a place to by mass quantities of fiber glass resin and cloth, know any around here? this little crap that walmart sells just isn't cutting it.
    Armor Fiberglass
    661-325-6070
    Bakersfield CA
    Heading Match: Fiberglass Materials

If not you can always order it online.
    "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

they don't sell to the public, but gave me a number where they get there goodies
      Originally posted by G-MONEY
      It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

So here's another angle, try an autobody paint store. They all carry fiberglass repair materials.

Comment

yeah, i have bought from them. I'll check here, but in ok, they just carry the same small quantities that wally world has.

Comment

Try this one;

Deifel's Paint & Body Supply
            1030 Alta Vista Dr
            Bakersfield, CA 93305

(661) 325-7201

Comment

Thanks. They have it, but it's higher then buying pints at wally world

Comment

You are going to have to hit up autobody for that much chop mat.....but....

You would be better off using some old fleece and stretching across a frame, them painting it with resin until it hardened.....much cleaner and easier than chop mat.
                http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...TID=74519&PN=1
                Pretty good walkhrough there. Use old t-shirts, fleece, whatever you have....Chop mat sucks to work with.

And the alts DBElectrical sells are top notch...I was referring to the merc alts, they have no screens, only the black epoxy and I don't see how that passed marine cert.
                Last edited by spharis; 02-09-2007, 09:16 PM.
                http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

oh ok, cool about the alts.

Now the fleece item, that's something I hadn't thought about. paint it with resin, then cut it up and fiber it to the box? or what exactly are you referring to?

Comment

Well, I finally got around to installing my alternator from DB. I followed what Jeff had been told by DB. I moved my lower mounting arm and got a large bolt with spacers for the upper mount. I also had to add spacers to the lower mount to make it as close as I can to the same angle as the rest of the pulleys on the engine. I also had to use my pulley in order for the belt to work. Everything seems to be fine. However, I have one problem; it is making the belt ride only half way on the main pulley. I am thinking of adding spacers on the front of the alternator to make the alternator pulley stick out more. Do any of you have any other suggestions?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Can you get some photos from different angles? It is hard to see what is going on. When you say it is making the belt ride halfway, do you mean the alternator is sitting too far back for the pulley to align properly, or does it gradually walk off the pulley? There's going to be a better solution than using spacers I am sure. You might have to pick up a bracket for a small block from an auto store, but some more photos will help.
                      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
                        Can you get some photos from different angles? It is hard to see what is going on. When you say it is making the belt ride halfway, do you mean the alternator is sitting too far back for the pulley to align properly, or does it gradually walk off the pulley? There's going to be a better solution than using spacers I am sure. You might have to pick up a bracket for a small block from an auto store, but some more photos will help.
                        I will get some better photos. I have the grooved serpentine belt and on the main pulley it is smooth and the belt rides backwards on it and is only 2/3 on the main pulley near the alternator with the belt being towards the motor. I believe it is because the alternator is too far back than it originally was. I was thinking that if I added 3 or 4 washers on the alternator pulley shaft and then tighten the pulley down, it would align the belt better. I have enough threads on the shaft to do it. The belt stays on the engine, I am just worried that it will eventually wear the belt out.

Also, a few more dumb question. My alternator is spinning clockwise and the fans on the alternator look like it was made to spin counterclock wise. Does it matter what direction the alternator spins and is there a different fan that I can put on the front?
                        Last edited by Moki; 03-26-2007, 02:25 AM.

Comment

The fans on the alt are a no mess up install. They are installed correctly. All GM blocks and alts rotate the same direction (clockwise), so that is ok; looking at your fan above, it is fine. See below.

As far as the belt, yes it will cause premature wear. MC uses smooth pulleys? Do you have a serpentine belt that runs several pulleys different directions? You will have some options, I just don't know where to try to help without some pics of what you have. I do not have, and am not familiar with MC engines. Can you take pics of your mounting tangs, and the arm, also the way it mounts to the block.

[]) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by spharis View Post
                            The fans on the alt are a no mess up install. They are installed correctly. All GM blocks and alts rotate the same direction (clockwise), so that is ok; looking at your fan above, it is fine. See below.

As far as the belt, yes it will cause premature wear. MC uses smooth pulleys? Do you have a serpentine belt that runs several pulleys different directions? You will have some options, I just don't know where to try to help without some pics of what you have. I do not have, and am not familiar with MC engines. Can you take pics of your mounting tangs, and the arm, also the way it mounts to the block.

Ahh, got it. It looked like to me that the fan would have been more effective pulling in air if it turned counterclockwise. So, I am glad that is not an issue. I will get some pics of the belt tomorrow. Thanks for all your help!

Comment

Well, I talked with Ron at DB and he recommended that I use the pulley that he sent and then get a smaller belt. He also said that it would be OK to shim out with washers and that if it didn't work, he would build me a new alternator. These guys practice excellent customer service. Anyway, after adding 1 washer, replacing the pulley and getting a new belt. I think that I have everything working with a new alternator that will put out around 170 amps.

The first two pictures show the belt hanging off the pulley towards the engine. The third picture shows the added washer and the fourth picture shows the smaller pulley with the new shorter belt. The fifth and last picture shows everything installed and the belt running properly on the main pulley.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Glad it worked out for you!
                                Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Working...
                                X