No announcement yet.

Alternator Upgrade Situation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are my readings at different idle speeds, the volts really jump when I am around 1400 rpm or higher.
    Attached Files

Comment

What RPM is the charging kicking in. It looks low in the 750 RPM range, but there could be a blower running or something too. Mine starts to output heavy around 850 RPM, but my engine also idles there. There must be a blower running b/c the 1400RPM is down about .4 volts.
      http://www.wakeboatworld.com
      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Mine doesn't really kick in the full 14.4 until I am around 1600 rpm. No blower was running - battery was nearly dead - I don't know if that would make a difference or not. Mine idles at 750. I was hoping that the smaller pulley would create more power at lower rpms. Any ideas on what is going on or any suggestions?

Here is the reading at lower rpm:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Moki; 03-27-2007, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dogbert View Post
          Glad it worked out for you!
          Thanks Dogbert!!! I appreciate that coming from the site's top dog!

Comment

I think you need a smaller pulley. Call DB and ask.
            http://www.wakeboatworld.com
            []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

i agree with sp.

Glad you did get it all working.
              Originally posted by G-MONEY
              It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Hey Moki, now that you've got your spacing correct i would make a solid one piece spacer larger in diameter than what you have to support the assembly better, less room for flex.
                "Call me anything you want ... Just don't call me NOBODY!

Comment

Razz you took the words out of mymouth.

Comment

Sorry dude! Yeah i'm worried Moki's going to get a lot of flex as there are a lot of flex points with all those washers there. Which in turn will allow the belt to flucuate.

Comment

yeah I see that being a huge problem. Belt wear stinks too!

Comment

Razz,
                        Good suggestion. Do you have any Ideas on what I could use as a spacer?

Spharis:
                        I think that I have the smallest pulley, but I will ask.

Dom:
                        Thanks for your comments as well.

Comment

Moki,

Could you use some steel pipe? for a spacer? or maybe some square tubing?

Comment

If it was me i'd try and use a piece of round stock aluminum and just bore a hole in the center. A machine shop could make you one for around $20 or so. If you can't find that then you could use some heavy gauge galvanized plumbing pipe and just cut to length.

Comment

Square tubing would work as well. It's not the shape but the rigidity that counts. The more material against the block and alt the better, within reason of course.

Comment

Hey Moki, I just remembered that some of your larger auto parts stores carry spacers as well in various sizes. I'd try something like a Napa store or such.

Comment

Working...
                                X