debates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gcombe74 View Post
    My wife was beyond pissed about mitt's women in the work force comments. She is in HR and so when he is handed a pool of peeps for the job and they are men, that means uh all the women have been screened out! duh! So it was like this is beyond lame in her mind.

This is just hillarious to me. was bought in less then 90 seconds after he said it. www.binderfullofwomen.com
    Maybe I am so sexist that I didn't see a problem. I can be thick in the head in general, so spell it out for me what he said that came across wrong to some women.
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

Originally posted by talltigeguy View Post
      It depends on the strength of the opposition. Does every bill that has some votes against it go to filibuster? Certainly many bills have passed 51-49 without a filibuster, right? I think trying to filibuster everything that goes through would be impossible.
      Here's an example of how the filibuster has evolved... the DREAM act died because of a filibuster, but there were no long winded speeches on the floor:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...120903504.html

Comment

Maybe I am so sexist that I didn't see a problem. I can be thick in the head in general, so spell it out for me what he said that came across wrong to some women.
        Don't take this the wrong way, but Utah isn't really a bastion of workplace equality.

Why is it that the women have to rush home to cook? Ha, half the time I'm the one cooking (we actually agree to a game plan for the week and assign cooking duties among the family members).

The days of ladies doing all the laundry are long over in a big part of the world.

Comment

Here's a refresher on 2008 gas prices...weird how right before the election they suddenly dropped. Was that to try and get the GOP re-elected? Seems weird...
          http://www.treehugger.com/cars/2008-...in-review.html
          July 7, 2008—Crude oil prices settled-in at a new record of $147 per barrel. The U.S. average price for regular gasoline climbs to an all-time high of $4.11 per gallon. Road trip style vacations are put on hold for many summer travelers.
          Oct. 16, 2008—Oil prices fall below $70 a barrel, which is less than half of its July peak. Signs of $1.99 a gallon gas brings celebration to the masses. Some consumers begin to talk about dragging out their gas guzzling SUV's and Winnebago's for the first time in months.

Nov. 3, 2008—U.S. Gas prices drop to $1.72 a gallon. Some gas stations even roll out a $.99 cent promotional deal.

Comment

Originally posted by dom w. forte View Post
            Oh there must be some math experts on here, the President said that the gas prices were lower when he took office because the economy was in a ressesion, so has the economy doubled with the gas prices or due to the current state of the economy should gas prices be about 10 cents a gallon??????????
            I'm an expert. So lets talk about the Dodd Frank act. One of the GREATEST pieces of legislation in the past 30 years. Let's talk about the R's cooperation to do the RIGHT thing. Shall we?

Comment

ONE MORE TO GO

So we can put this to bed
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

My wife was beyond pissed about mitt's women in the work force comments. She is in HR and so when he is handed a pool of peeps for the job and they are men, that means uh all the women have been screened out! duh! So it was like this is beyond lame in her mind.

This is just hillarious to me. was bought in less then 90 seconds after he said it. www.binderfullofwomen.com
                I had more important matters to attend to last night, so I didnt watch the debate. What as actually said by Romney?
                Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

I really don't care what party they are with, all incumbents need to go, from the top down. They had their chance for change and did not get it done. Lead follow or get the f*** outta the way
                  "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by shawndoggy View Post
                    Don't take this the wrong way, but Utah isn't really a bastion of workplace equality.

Why is it that the women have to rush home to cook? Ha, half the time I'm the one cooking (we actually agree to a game plan for the week and assign cooking duties among the family members).

The days of ladies doing all the laundry are long over in a big part of the world.
                    I actually meant, what did he say? You are again giving an interpretation.

I managed to dig through the debate transcript to find it. He says that the woman in his cabinet had a priority to be home for dinner. That is a simple fact about an individual who was part of his leadership team in Massachusetts. It was a FACT that he was stating that this particular woman didn't want to stay until 7 or 8. There are women all over the US that have the same issues, especially if you are a single mother. Unfortunately some of the married women also have husbands that will allow the children to starve until mom gets home. Your wife is fortunate that you are there to share the duties.

Transcript:

And I -- and I went to my staff, and I said, “How come all the people for these jobs are -- are all men.” They said, “Well, these are the people that have the qualifications.” And I said, “Well, gosh, can’t we -- can’t we find some -- some women that are also qualified?”

ROMNEY: And -- and so we -- we took a concerted effort to go out and find women who had backgrounds that could be qualified to become members of our cabinet.

I went to a number of women’s groups and said, “Can you help us find folks,” and they brought us whole binders full of women.

I was proud of the fact that after I staffed my Cabinet and my senior staff, that the University of New York in Albany did a survey of all 50 states, and concluded that mine had more women in senior leadership positions than any other state in America.

Now one of the reasons I was able to get so many good women to be part of that team was because of our recruiting effort. But number two, because I recognized that if you’re going to have women in the workforce that sometimes you need to be more flexible. My chief of staff, for instance, had two kids that were still in school.

She said, I can’t be here until 7 or 8 o’clock at night. I need to be able to get home at 5 o’clock so I can be there for making dinner for my kids and being with them when they get home from school. So we said fine. Let’s have a flexible schedule so you can have hours that work for you.

We’re going to have to have employers in the new economy, in the economy I’m going to bring to play, that are going to be so anxious to get good workers they’re going to be anxious to hire women. In the -- in the last women have lost 580,000 jobs. That’s the net of what’s happened in the last four years. We’re still down 580,000 jobs. I mentioned 31/2 million women, more now in poverty than four years ago.

What we can do to help young women and women of all ages is to have a strong economy, so strong that employers that are looking to find good employees and bringing them into their workforce and adapting to a flexible work schedule that gives women opportunities that they would otherwise not be able to afford.
                    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

We’re going to have to have employers in the new economy, in the economy I’m going to bring to play, that are going to be so anxious to get good workers they’re going to be anxious to hire women.
                      This is the part I found a little out of touch. That when the economy is bad, of course we fire women, but when it's hot, we're so desperate, that we'll hire women. It's a "lesser than" point of view.

It's totally understandable from a guy who is (a) 65 and (b) a captain of industry. This guy's entire career I'm sure he's had a secretary in the office to run things for him. When he started, I'm sure that was the only place women were (generally) around. Things have changed A LOT in the past 40 years, but it doesn't surprise me that a 65 year old guy would be a bit out of touch on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Iwndr View Post
                        I really don't care what party they are with, all incumbents need to go, from the top down. They had their chance for change and did not get it done. Lead follow or get the f*** outta the way
                        What kind of change you hoping for?

Comment

Originally posted by Nobody View Post
                          What kind of change you hoping for?
                          something other then the path of the past 3.5 years would be considered change

Comment

I'm not sure what you are getting at here. Beyond lame is having to ask the question to begin with.
                            Beyond lame is all the 'journalists' constantly making matters all about white people vs. black people vs. hispanic people vs. purple people eaters.
                            This IS an equal world. For Christ sake we have a black president, all in the name of equality because he sure as hell wasn't qualified for the job. So to ask what is being done specifically for women is absurd!
                            Waiting for another good one!

Comment

From what is reported, neither is Obama's White House. Very few woman as compared to past admins and those there are earning less then men in equivalent duties. One left after a short time and called the Obama White House a "good ol boys club".

Why is it that the women have to rush home to cook? Ha, half the time I'm the one cooking (we actually agree to a game plan for the week and assign cooking duties among the family members
                              Dont take offence to this, but I can sure as chit guarantee that if Romney had made a statement to the effect of "just because your a woman, doesn't mean you get to go home early to be with your family", the same liberal media would jump on that just as they have jumped on what he said, in order to make a issue out out of nothing. Romney's female staff member asked for flexible hours and he's labeled with a 40 year old view of women? Please.....this is a real stretch. Why isnt the main-stream news readers wanting to talk about the 3.5 year record of the man who "spent the last 2 years of HS in a daze"?

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                                From what is reported, neither is Obama's White House. Very few woman as compared to past admins and those there are earning less then men in equivalent duties. One left after a short time and called the Obama White House a "good ol boys club".

Dont take offence to this, but I can sure as chit guarantee that if Romney had made a statement to the effect of "just because your a woman, doesn't mean you get to go home early to be with your family", the same liberal media would jump on that just as they have jumped on what he said, in order to make a issue out out of nothing. Romney's female staff member asked for flexible hours and he's labeled with a 40 year old view of women? Please.....this is a real stretch. Why isnt the main-stream news readers wanting to talk about the 3.5 year record of the man who "spent the last 2 years of HS in a daze"?
                                I don't think what he said is that out of line with conventional wisdom. It does have a flipside though. Ask an active father whether he got a fair shot from a divorce court. Perpetuating stereotypes is my complaint, NOT flex schedules for working PARENTS.

Thankfully we don't hold high school against people of a certain age. Though I expect that to change in the post-internet age. Don't kid yourself that we won't see some michael-phelps-face-in-a-bong pics in a presidential race in a couple of decades.

Quite honestly it's our need to find a "perfect" candidate that means good men and women won't run. Too gay, not christian enough (could a nonbeliever or jew or muslim ever be President?), had an affair, single mom (gasp, could you imagine!?), pulled bongloads in high school, etc.

Comment

Working...
                                X