No announcement yet.

Reverse Thruster assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VMS, do you have any pictures you can share of your thruster on the ZX5?

2005 Tige 22v

Comment

I'd also like to see it...as would everyone else lol

Comment

What's a "reasonable price"? $5-6k making it, comparable to the other aftermarkets systems? Just wondering if I should wait for this one or continue to pursue my own.

Comment

Yeah, you can’t just tease everyone. Let’s see more info!!!

Not that anyone asked, but here’s my take at what the cost “should be”..... I start with a trolling motor. You can get trolling motor at 80-100lbs of thrust for $1000 or so. Add 500 or so for smaller volume sales and initial release to recover NRE and product setup costs and a 80lbs stern thruster should cost about $1500 initially and works it way down towards a $1000 as more units are sold. This price is just the product and does not include installation cost. That’s my 2 cents.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
            Yeah, you can’t just tease everyone. Let’s see more info!!!

Not that anyone asked, but here’s my take at what the cost “should be”..... I start with a trolling motor. You can get trolling motor at 80-100lbs of thrust for $1000 or so. Add 500 or so for smaller volume sales and initial release to recover NRE and product setup costs and a 80lbs stern thruster should cost about $1500 initially and works it way down towards a $1000 as more units are sold. This price is just the product and does not include installation cost. That’s my 2 cents.....

I agree, I think somewhere around the 2k point and they would sell like hotcakes.
            There are several that I know of coming to market here shortly so we shall see

Comment

First to market can charge much higher prices and grab the market share.....just look at Apple and the IPhone for example.....

2nd, 3rd, 4th etc... to market are the guys who drive prices down towards the ~10% profit area in order to steal market share from the first guy!!!

Comment

VMS with one post EVER on the TO forum, suddenly has a system to market, and for the ZX5? I am ususally the eternal optimist - but in this case, I have my doubts we will ever see a picture. We may receive a link for a kickstarter campaign though... so there's that.

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
                  VMS with one post EVER on the TO forum, suddenly has a system to market, and for the ZX5? I am ususally the eternal optimist - but in this case, I have my doubts we will ever see a picture. We may receive a link for a kickstarter campaign though... so there's that.
                  Eh i think we'll see quite a few more aftermarket systems pop up in the next few years now that everyone knows they work everyone wants one. Maybe VMS is the brand name and they are already a member here under another name? Who knows!

Comment

Originally posted by SONIC View Post
                    Maybe VMS is the brand name and they are already a member here under another name? Who knows!
                    Valid point. I truly hope you are right and I am wrong in this case.

Comment

There is always the tease with a new product! However, as anyone on here that has developed a new product knows, you can't put too much information out, as there are plenty of very smart and industrious people and businesses out there with endless funds and engineering departments waiting to take your idea to market before you can get there and gain a niche.

Yes, I looked at the trolling motor option, but didn't like the option, as it is not compact or even close to elegant. I think what we have but together is pretty sleek, and has huge thrust for the package size.

We all want something inexpensive. That is our goal. But a $1000 price point is pretty much impossible, especially when you are trying to put that much power into a small package, and want to avoid the installation downside that exists with some of the others out there. Remember, there needs to be room for dealers or resellers to make a profit too, along with margin to cover possible warranty claims. Then there's marketing, and tradeshow costs. We'll probably offer up a great price for the first several units just to get them out there and get positive feedback to drive market interest.

The smaller 44 pound thrust unit will be the most expensive, as the design is something that I think will take everyone by surprise. But as I mentioned, it is a work of art, and pretty revolutionary. The motor cost itself is well above the $1000 price point to have manufactured and delivered, but again, it is something special, and there will be those that will drop the $$'s for it. Especially since it can easily be engineered into bow thruster use.

The standard unit will be in the area that will sell line hotcakes, if all stays on target!

Things are being machined right now for the new motor on what will be our standard, and there are still a few things to finalize on the control side packaging. But we are still shooting for late spring. If we can get final packaging finished up in December, I'll look at posting some pictures mounted on the boat. Maybe we'll get one of those string of 85 degree days in January here in SoCal, and we can take the boat out and shoot some video demonstration.

Comment

Sonic, no kickstart here. My other businesses make plenty of money to fund development, although it will be much nicer when the oil market comes back up and our rental systems in the Middle East can get back to market rates!

I've owned the ZX5 since July 2019, and have been looking at a stern thruster option after the first outing stuck in heavy traffic and high crosswinds at the dock. The stern will not come to port easily on this boat! I'm not one to do much social media stuff and came across this forum over the weekend. It seemed there was some interest, so I decided to post what I'm working on. I've developed enough products to know that not all get to market, but have systems running on ships all over the world, and have developed and patented what we think is the best cartridge(s) on the market to remove oil emulsions and free oil from water that there is. So, fortunately I know what it takes to get something designed and to market, rather than someone with a hope and dream.

This project was more for fun at the start since it is something I developed to solve a personal need. But after receiving comments from others out at the lakes, and noticing there seems to be others looking for the same solution at a reasonable price, I decided to move forward to bring a marketable version to others. There is more drive to get this to market than any of those I already have, so do expect it to become reality, and for purchase.

If it solves others problems, and gives them something they think is worth the $$, great! That is what business is for.

Comment

Originally posted by VMS View Post
                          Sonic, no kickstart here.
                          I made the original kickstarter comment, not Sonic. I am happy to hear I was wrong. I look forward to seeing the progress on this product.

Comment

VMS, Very interested in your systems. Sounds like they are much smaller than what is around right now. Do they mount to the transom or do they mount to the swim deck? How are you able to drop the amp draw? It takes a certain amount of HP to spin the prop fast enough to produce movement. Usually 2-3hp for our boats. That's 150-200 amps. Perhaps you're converting to 24 volts? You mentioned 4/0 cable so I don't think so. But you also mentioned a simple enlargement of the actuator cable hole, so maybe you are using smaller cable, suggesting 24v operation.

One thing I'll suggest, and what I want to do when I run a thruster, is to control it with the taps switch mounted on the throttle lever. I'll still be able to adjust taps 1 on the Clear Screen. I want one hand on the steering wheel, one on the throttle and my right thumb on the thruster so I can easily use all three at the same time.

Comment

Unstuck, all my tests used a small bracket that I made that bolted to the surf plate flange that is screwed to the transom. Used 3 of the screws there to secure the mount. No way did I want to start drilling holes until things are all finalized. Wire came over the back on the first two tests at the lake, then I purchased a penetration seal that multiple wires can go through, and enlarged the hole where the surf plate actuator wire comes through. Two wires through one hole, and my transom is still in tact.

I would like very much to have the switch on the throttle so that you can have one hand there and the other on the wheel. My initial remote let me easily hold in my hand that was on the wheel or throttle, but the new setup is a bit more sophisticated in its capabilities. I have a couple ideas to get the thumb switch on the throttle lever, but that might just have to be an upgrade option at some point if it takes much time to develop.

Can't spill the beans on my solution for power, but it will make perfect sense once we bring to market.
                              Last edited by VMS; 11-10-2020, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I think the only way to integrate OG taps switch would be to do some dual relays in front of the PDM and would be a potential point for unwanted corrosion/resistance in the circuit. Totally doable(I think) but would have to be done clean to avoid issues down the road and you will still end up driving the plate with the switch. Only downside is if plate is fully deployed (1) while reversing. Plate starts grabbing water in reverse when its deployed.

Theres few things I will speak highly of from MC, but they automatically retract center plate/trim tab im reverse so there's no unwanted drag. Wish others would try to copy and see how long the lawsuit takes lol.

Comment

Working...
                                X