Reverse Thruster assist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reverse Thruster assist

I see where Nautique is offering new for 2018 on their G23 models the 10,000 dollar option for a steering assist thruster.
    Do you see where Tige would need a thruster option on their bigger line of boats like RZX models?
    How difficult are these larger boats to navigate in and around the docks?

Just curious?
    image.jpg
    Nick
    Dayton, Ohio

I like the concept for really crappy wind and tight slip situations, but I think it's about $9000 too expensive and looks tacked on. Maybe if it were sleek and integrated it might be worth 10k

What would be really nice is a virtual anchor like the current GPS managed trolling motors do. Something that could keep the boat in the same spot for an hr or so. Pulled up to the cliffs the other day and a fishing type boat pretty much stayed in the same place for 30 minutes while I had to break out the anchor.

Comment

I can see where a thruster would be nice if you were in some tight situations for docking and such but for myself it would never be required. I rarely even touch a dock. Picking up or dropping off my truck driver I'll either nose in or back in so they can step on/off the swim platform on to the dock. Once you have a good understanding of how our types of boats reverse you position yourself (when possible) differently so you can still have that back to the right work effectively. Ie, you do left hand turns

I'd also agree that 10k seems a bit much for something attached on the back.

Comment

How does it work?

Comment

Would it be nice to have? Absolutely. Is it worth 10k? No way in hell. If it was around 1k I would consider it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          BABz - babzusa.com
          Austin, TX

Comment

I would imagine that this and the Mastercraft Dockstar are to appease the crowd of I/O boaters that want to get into surfing. The I/O boaters probably got frustrated at the increased difficultly in reversing.

Comment

SeaRay also has this on their new VDrive boat along with a few other cool/interesting features
              SeaRay Thruster.JPG
              "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

The RZX line to me drives the best on comparison with the big boats.

My rzx drives circles around the z3
                Germaine Marine
                "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Not really relevant but saw a guy with a brand new se trying to pick up his crowd at the dock. Needless to say hed never driven an inboard before, it was great. First 5 minutes i was irritated, next 10 laughed my butt off while enjoying coronas.
                  If you wanna know what I did , come with me next time...

Comment

The only people this is going to appeal to is the people coming from an IO. None of us are ever going to need it. Yes having one push you to the port would be nice but not needed.

Comment

Coming from 10+ years owning jetboats I still think bow trusters shall be an option for every inboard. We use to go camping on Georgian Bay islands with our jetboat and I would never take our Tige there, because I have to go in narrow passes between rocks on very slow speed.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk

Comment

The system works while the boat is at around 4 MPH in forward or reverse. It is coupled to the steering as well as having a joy stick. It has it's place and could prove to be an invaluable option. We all have loaded or docked in cross winds and that is where it will be mostly used. It could prove valuable when trying to swing the stern around to pick up the kids that do not want to swim to the platform when being picked up. As for knowing how to operate and move around an inboard. We all do. But have you done it in serious wind? I have. It is windy here a lot. 20 MPH plus. Since I have added a FAE my boat will rarely backs left but instead just goes straight. This has caused some issues when wanting the stern to turn left. Is it worth 10 grand. Maybe to some.
                        Wake Up or Stay On Shore!

Comment

Originally posted by VladM View Post
                          Coming from 10+ years owning jetboats I still think bow trusters shall be an option for every inboard.
                          Jetboats definitely spoil you for maneuverability! That's also what we had before our first wakeboat, and my wife is still angry with me for selling it to a friend. NOTHING has the fine control of a jetboat. I can turn that thing in its own length just by manipulating the thrust reverser.

Bow thrusters are common on large sea-going vessels (think cruise ships and tankers). Not sure I'd want the extra complexity and holes in the bow on a casual operator's pleasure boat. However, looking at this "solution" it doesn't seem terribly difficult to make an aftermarket add-on that would mount to the transom like this one does. Holes in the transom are common enough these days for everything from actuators to swim platforms to LED's. I bet it could be sold for a lot less than $10K too... it's really just a housing, reversible motor, and impeller. A MOM-OFF-MOM switch at the helm and you're all set. Doesn't even need to tie into the other electrical systems. Who cares if you forget and leave it running while you're surfing or boarding? Wouldn't hurt anything, just wastes a bit of power.

Comment

Here is an aftermarket options for $4200
                            https://sideshift.com/monohull-bow-stern-thrusters/

More detailed
                            https://sideshift.com/monohull-bow-s...tern-thruster/
                            "I think I am pretty smart for an idiot"

Comment

hmm looking at that, i wonder if a manufacture like minnkota could make an affordable solution. Honestly could probably hack up a couple old trolling motors and make something yourself.

Comment

Working...
                              X