Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
    The RZX hull is STILL convex, no hook.
    One easy way to tell would be to just cruise 30 MPH and see if it starts to porpoise. Does it do that? A convex hull SHOULD start to bob up and down at that speed with TAPS all the way up, unless the water is absolute glass. It might be interesting to know if this hull does this like the other Tige Convex hulls.
    Be excellent to one another.

Comment

I can physically see the Convex shape on my 24Ve, pretty easily I think?
      Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

http://www.tige.com/boats/rzx

Number 1 on the list of main features is the Convex V hull. I don't think Tige would make a boat without it, especially a surf boat, it's their #1 product differentiator.
        2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
        2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

@tall Yes, it will porpoise at cruise if you put the taps up to high like any tige I have been on before it. The way it surfs and the way the TAPS plate respond feel like a convex hull to me.

However, there are some major differences. The main thing is the super wide running surface that is from the back and goes all the way up. Other boats may be wide in the back, but the hull doesn't stay wide all the way up. Then there is that deep keel. You REALLY notice that keel when you hit higher speeds. If the keel is in the water, lower taps, the boat tracks like a train. Get the taps up and free that keel a bit, and it loosens up and handles very sporty.

I am very curious how the 440 runs in this, cuz the 575 was so much fun at cruising speed and above. 40 MPH in a big boat like that, in some chop, and still having throttle left, really surprised everyone in the boat. It was funny, because I had people come up to me later, after the accident and emergency had cleared and said stuff like "DUDE, we see the sheriff going by hauling a$$ with lights and sirens and we were hoping all was ok, then we see you in the RZX catching up to him!"

It was pretty sick.
          http://wake9.com/

Comment

Ragboy: Totally off topic question. What are the dimensions of your carport? I'm looking at getting one of those myself.

Comment

@bcrider, you know, I am not sure. It was here when I moved here. I guess I could measure it. ;-) It BARELY fits the RZX, and was comfy for the Z3.

Comment

Just received word from a friend who had the opportunity to surf the RZX back to back with the Z3, both with TAPS3. In the last couple days.

I cannot explain the results, but he and another surfer both agreed that the Z3 was better. This just goes to show you that SUBJECTIVITY has a lot to do with surf reviews. Ragboy, certainly not dissing your review--there could be a ton of reasons that they reached this conclusion. My hunch is that the RZX was not set up in an ideal manner--I know they said they were running full factory ballast of 3000#, but speeds, people, depth of water, etc etc etc could all be out of wack. Who knows?

It just illustrates the fact that in order to determine what vessel you eventually settle on as a John Doe Boat Buyer, you need to run them, surf them, and decide for yourself. It also to me illustrates the fact that no one makes these things sing quite like the user. Factories can equip boats with this or that, and recommend this or that, but until experienced users get their mitts on stuff--like Ragboy or any of the rest of us--the true potential for innovation isn't unlocked. Users will find out what these boats can do.

Anyway, I thought this word was interesting. Not what I expected to hear, thats for sure. I told him he would be returning from his demo with a purchase order for a new RZX, but it turns out now he is still undecided! LOL hard decision, man!

Comment

Couple things...

First, if someone demos back to back and likes another boat over the one I think is best, kudos. All good to me.

However, in my review we did NOT use stock weight in the RZX and that is very important. We had an extra ~ 500 lbs in EACH rear corner on top of the full stock 3000 lbs.

If you compare stock Z3 with surf xl to stock RZX, oh yes, the Z3 will win. The Z3 makes a very good stock wake. The RZX really needs that extra weight and then its amazing.

I ride with a lot of fanatics and each of them except for one would say the RZX as it was in our review is better than our Z3 with its extra weight and AVX at its best, and most of them if not all would say any other boat they have been on. That includes my entire family, Rob & Janelle Harrington (who have just made a deal to purchase our wake9 Z3) Korinn Woodard, and Chris Wolter. There are a couple more, but that is a good group that have ridden our Z3 at its best many times and many other boats. Rob owns a supreme 226 which is now for sale, which is a great boat by the way.

So on the one hand I am just fine with someone liking the Z3 wake better, but I can tell you that it needs to be setup properly to make a good comparison. The Z3 is easy to setup, everyone knows how. We have been dialing that boat in for years. The RZX is new and unique, its not the same. It took me 3 days and 20+ hours before I really figured out how to get the best wake. Now I jump in the RZX, and it super easy, but it took a bit to figure that out.

Comment

One more thing, if he is going to spend that much on a boat, and he wants to be sure, send him here, I will take him out and give him a great ride and show him how we set it up exactly.

Comment

Ragboy,
                      I just might take you up on that offer. My wife might kill me but the ride will be fun. We had 5 people in the boat plus the surfer. Both boats were stock. The lake was plenty deep. I first skied behind the RZX and it skied fine, I was able to cut across the wake. So at this point I figured the RZX was a done deal. Then I surfed behind it and it was fine, nothing special, nice wake felt good. Then we put in the Z3 and surfed. the wake is bigger more push, recover deeper. So now I'm questioning myself. Talk with the other guy surfing and he says the same thing. After going on the factory tour I'm talking with Tony about extra weight and he said they are deciding what to do. Frustrating to me they release a boat that is suppose to be the uber surf boat and it doesn't surf as well as the other surf boat out of the box. I know that you know both boats and just wanted to hear if you thought the same thing that the Z3 out of the box surfs better than the RZX out of the box? If you still have the RZX I would definitely be interested in coming down sometime, maybe I could even get Dakota4ce to come along. The way you described the RZX and the video it looks amazing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dakota4ce View Post
                        Just received word from a friend who had the opportunity to surf the RZX back to back with the Z3, both with TAPS3. In the last couple days.

I cannot explain the results, but he and another surfer both agreed that the Z3 was better. This just goes to show you that SUBJECTIVITY has a lot to do with surf reviews. Ragboy, certainly not dissing your review--there could be a ton of reasons that they reached this conclusion. My hunch is that the RZX was not set up in an ideal manner--I know they said they were running full factory ballast of 3000#, but speeds, people, depth of water, etc etc etc could all be out of wack. Who knows?

It just illustrates the fact that in order to determine what vessel you eventually settle on as a John Doe Boat Buyer, you need to run them, surf them, and decide for yourself. It also to me illustrates the fact that no one makes these things sing quite like the user. Factories can equip boats with this or that, and recommend this or that, but until experienced users get their mitts on stuff--like Ragboy or any of the rest of us--the true potential for innovation isn't unlocked. Users will find out what these boats can do.

Anyway, I thought this word was interesting. Not what I expected to hear, thats for sure. I told him he would be returning from his demo with a purchase order for a new RZX, but it turns out now he is still undecided! LOL hard decision, man!
                        I was one of the two individuals that rode the two boats backed to back...I will start with the RZX it is an amazing boat and when we went out we rode with 100% stock ballast NO EXTRA and five of us total. This boat is absolutely amazing and has an incredible amount of potential and while sitting in the boat you can see the wave is there. I think that the boat as Ragboy has mentioned this boat (RZX) with an additional 500# in each rear corner would put it on par if not better than the Z3 with Taps3. The Z3 with Taps3 out of the box just absolutely performs and it performs well as it did with the AVX this boat just flat out surfs.

I have taken this evaluation on the two boats...the RZX is an animal and with an additional 500# in each rear corner will be amazing. This boat surfs WELL stock but with the additional weight will surf EXTREMELY WELL, the boat wakeboard's wake is really WELL, the boats slalom wake is the absolute best it can be given the boats size. The Z3 surfs out of the box REALLY WELL, the wakeboard wake is WELL, and the slalom wake is well I think the RZX has a ton of potential and can perform well out of the box but as I mentioned with additional weight REALLY WELL. The best part about being stuck choosing between the RZX and Z3 is you can not go wrong with either one .

Comment

WELL said.

Comment

Ok ok ok, my diabolical plan to get an invite from Ragboy to go out and surf the RZX worked to perfection. I accept!

Comment

Come on down, I just got back from a session with my family, Hunter Clement and the Sos girls, so much fun. The Z3 is great, and so I don't want to make it sound negative for that boat, but the RZX setup like we have it is money. If you came away from the RZX and felt like it wasn't anything extra special, get on a plane. If you don't think it was worth it, I will pay the flight. You can stay in our guest house, bring dakota, whatever. We host people all the time.

Just email me and schedule it.

As long as I don't have concerns about someone being a threat, and they can behave in front of kids, anyone is welcome. ;-)

Comment

Ragboy--how late does your season go? We have all of the gear; wetsuits, drysuits, neoprene socks....heck I even have a neoprene beanie. The need remains: 575 is going to buy a boat, and these questions need an answer, so its a very prudent move for him. For me? Well I am his friend, and down for whatever--ESPECIALLY if surfing is involved.

Your offer is on par with the impression you propogate online--an ambassador for the sport. A lover of the sport. We appreciate that!

We can deal with our wives--that is an area of expertise we both have. It has been learned over many years of trial and error. And neither of us are threatening--both regular dude dads with multiple kids and busy jobs. Actually, kind of boring people? Oh well, it is what it is.

Comment

Working...
                                X