No announcement yet.

2016 Tige RZX Review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A question: so do the Taps3 tabs do anything hydrodynamic-ly to form a wave? Do they delay convergence ala SurfGate or NSS, or are they simply a listing aid?

Couple observations: If they simply list the RZX, then we have a hull that makes waves from listing--so it's the same old theory. Why then do we see what appears to be a very flat low deadrise hull? Does this dispel the conventional wisdom that deep-v hulls form the best surf waves ? I am sure I am oversimplifying.
    Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like bananas!

Comment

Im sure its just the camera angles from the curl view making the boat look listed or is the boat listed in those shots. In some of the angles the boat appears level but another shots it looks like it's listed. Was just curious if both listed and evenly weighted set ups were used. I'm assuming the taps 3 lists the boat slightly.

Comment

It is doing both. Convergence is happening, and its listing over a bit. I think until a hull is made that can make that great shape with a lip, WITHOUT listing, the bit of list is necessary.
        http://wake9.com/

Comment

Originally posted by RZRCO23 View Post
          Are the camera angles from the curl view making the boat look listed or is the boat listed in those shots. In some of the angles the boat appears level but another shots it looks like it's listed. Was just curious if both listed and evenly weighted set ups were used.
          The 2016 TAPS-3 Z3 listed once the tab deployed.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

On goofy it was listed like 4 degrees according to the clinometer, and like 2 on the regular side, but I think the clinometer might have been acting up. I think it was more like 3-4 degrees of list on both sides, somewhere in that range. So little you don't notice it, doesn't feel uncomfortable at all.

With the taps 3, it is like the convergence allows for the wake you expected at 7 degrees of list, at 4. Make sense?

The RZX, like ASR, seems like it would take a LOT of weight to list over that flat hull if you wanted to make a wake without TAPS3. One of the reason the RZX and TAPS3 are an example of the whole being better than the sum of its parts.

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
              On goofy it was listed like 4 degrees according to the clinometer, and like 2 on the regular side, but I think the clinometer might have been acting up. I think it was more like 3-4 degrees of list on both sides, somewhere in that range. So little you don't notice it, doesn't feel uncomfortable at all.

With the taps 3, it is like the convergence allows for the wake you expected at 7 degrees of list, at 4. Make sense?

The RZX, like ASR, seems like it would take a LOT of weight to list over that flat hull if you wanted to make a wake without TAPS3. One of the reason the RZX and TAPS3 are an example of the whole being better than the sum of its parts.
              That makes sense. Thanks for the clarification. Great video and review.

Comment

Hopefully last question,Could you piggy back the extra 1000 lbs off of the existing system or would you have to add more pumps? Honestly if I am paying that much for a boat I don't want to be or should have to throw pumps over the side of the boat it is what I am trying to get away from now,looks like I will be heading to the factory for a tour and demo real soon so pumped.

Comment

Originally posted by smithjd11 View Post
                  Hopefully last question,Could you piggy back the extra 1000 lbs off of the existing system or would you have to add more pumps? Honestly if I am paying that much for a boat I don't want to be or should have to throw pumps over the side of the boat it is what I am trying to get away from now,looks like I will be heading to the factory for a tour and demo real soon so pumped.
                  You would not want to piggy back an extra sac as the filling and draining would slow and likely unreliable. Any supplemental sacs, if you found a place to put them, would be better served having their own plumbing. If the boat/ballast is configured anything like the ASR, theres room for a 750 in the locker.
                  Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by dakota4ce View Post
                    A question: so do the Taps3 tabs do anything hydrodynamic-ly to form a wave? Do they delay convergence ala SurfGate or NSS, or are they simply a listing aid?

Couple observations: If they simply list the RZX, then we have a hull that makes waves from listing--so it's the same old theory. Why then do we see what appears to be a very flat low deadrise hull? Does this dispel the conventional wisdom that deep-v hulls form the best surf waves ? I am sure I am oversimplifying.
                    In actuality all boats that are producing a clean wave face to surf on are "Delaying the Convergence" of the wake, they just use different mechanisms to make it happen.

In a listed boat, the surf side is low relative to the water surface. When the boat moves forward in the listed condition, it naturally tries to turn in the listed direction, similar to how an airplane turns with the inside wing low. The driver must counter steer against the natural turn of the boat, which produces a condition known as side slip, or just a slip. The slip results in an area of high and low pressure on either side of the boat and when the two unequal areas of pressure meet, the wave converges and fills the void left by the hull as it travels through the water.

SurfGate and NSS work the same way, but instead of a list they use gates to impart a yaw moment to the stern of the boat. The driver must counter steer and the result is the same, side slip, which converges as above.

TAPS3, Supra Swell, MC Gen 2 and other trim tab style surf systems use the tabs themselves to make the boat list while it's moving forward. The boat can be evenly weighted (almost) at rest and when underway the tabs give the hull it's turn which the driver must counter steer against. This puts the boat in a side slip condition and results in the same forces acting on the hull and produces a clean face to surf on.

These are the basic mechanics of what is happening to the hull with the various surf systems. Of course variations in hull design and the tabs themselves change the chariteriistics of the wave from shallow waves to steep waves. They can also clean up a face, adjust the location of the lip of the wave and many other details of the wave that we all read about but have a hard time quantifying.

Hope that helps you understand that "delayed convergence" is not a mystical surfgate only hydrodynamic effect, but it's a term used to describe the meeting point of the water molecules that were displaced as the boat travels through the water. Any boat producing a clean face to surf on is "delaying the convergence" of the waves.
                    2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                    2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I definitely don't think you would want to piggy back either. I think Tige is already working on this. I believe they were waiting on our recommendation.

I believe TAPS3 is not just listing, but also performing the delayed convergence. I think it is the combination of both and the hull design that is making this wave work for us where others haven't with a surf system.

Comment

Ragboy, I think what you are observing is the difference between a traditional inboard hull and the Convex-V hull of the Tige. The Convex-V hull is unique in the inboard market and with a listed boat it makes a fantastic surf wave. When I saw the Go Surf Assist I was curious to see what surf trim tabs would do to a surf wave on a Convex-V hull, and now we know. The TAPS3 do make a great surf wave on the Z3 that I've seen, and sounds like it's a great system on the RZX as well. I think it's very cool to see the TAPS3 tabs on the Convex-V hulls and that they haven't distorted the great waves Tige is known for. The trim tabs (TAPS3) and Convex-V on a Tige make it a very unique combination in the market and I'm glad it's working out for them.
                        2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                        2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                          In a listed boat, the surf side is low relative to the water surface. When the boat moves forward in the listed condition, it naturally tries to turn in the listed direction, similar to how an airplane turns with the inside wing low. The driver must counter steer against the natural turn of the boat, which produces a condition known as side slip, or just a slip.
                          Unless I am drinking too much on my boat, I am pretty sure mine wants to turn away from the listed side--no? I believe I have to counter steer into the list to keep it headed straight. I could, as I said, be off my rocker too. Would not be the first time. Ewok, either way that doesn't take away from your post.

I would also expect that in a heavy list, the sheer mass differential of displaced water plays a large role in producing a surf wave when the water "meets again". The listed side's water basically appears to kick the *** of the non listed side's water when they meet, and rolls over the top of it without disturbance?

As you can tell I am no physicist.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                            Ragboy, I think what you are observing is the difference between a traditional inboard hull and the Convex-V hull of the Tige. The Convex-V hull is unique in the inboard market and with a listed boat it makes a fantastic surf wave. When I saw the Go Surf Assist I was curious to see what surf trim tabs would do to a surf wave on a Convex-V hull, and now we know. The TAPS3 do make a great surf wave on the Z3 that I've seen, and sounds like it's a great system on the RZX as well. I think it's very cool to see the TAPS3 tabs on the Convex-V hulls and that they haven't distorted the great waves Tige is known for. The trim tabs (TAPS3) and Convex-V on a Tige make it a very unique combination in the market and I'm glad it's working out for them.
                            Convex V appears to only be a small part in common on the hulls Tige produces. From a transom deadrise perspective, this baby looks nothing like its Convex V brothers. And it appears that the Z3 is also quite different from my Ve hull in a deadrise manner.

Unless deadrise has nothing to do with good surf wakes and Centurion has been telling boldface lies this whole time?

Certainly not important, as long as these babies crank out good waves. It is fun to nerd out sometimes though, and understand what is taking place.

Comment

This hull is very unique. It is like a V in the front with that deep keel and then flat in the back, and I believe it is still convex, there is no hook. I will find out for sure.

Look at the front...

flat-front.jpg

Look at all other surf hulls, they may have a deep keel, but they are not flattened out and wide like that. This boat SPREADS out the water in front of it like no other, probably one of the reasons for its great push and beautiful transition. There are so many variables, but that hull, its not a copy of anything else I have seen, its unique to the RZX.
                              Last edited by ragboy; 10-21-2015, 07:11 PM.

Comment

The RZX hull is STILL convex, no hook.

Comment

Working...
                                X