Because everybody is doing it.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Because everybody is doing it.

Well, I got a box of goodies from Chpthril (Mike) a couple of days ago so I thought I'd post up my ballast build/remodel. My boat had ballast system in it, but I'm not sure if it was factory or put in by someone else and it's great for wake boarding but certainly not enough to surf. Bottom line is, I really didn't want to redo everything including drilling more holes in the bottom of the boat. Cost is also an issue for me, so Mike was kind enough to send me bits and pieces to keep it out of the watchful eyes of my smoking hot book keeper/wife. Right now I'm concentrating on the goofy/starboard side wave as that is the side both my wife and i surf and when ever we have others on the boat the wave is pretty decent on the port side. I already have the hose, connections, and some other goodies from Mike and the sac will be here any day now. Later this summer I'll add the port side bag.

Here is a look of the existing ballast manifold and pumps. I will be adding 1" hose to the pumps with corresponding 1" connections at the bag. I have four pumps as evidently at one time there were two separate bags in the bow. My idea now is to use the fourth pump to help fill the rear bags. I'm thinking of putting in a diverter valve that is easy to get to depending on which bag I'm needing to fill. I'll also probably put in a crossover pump once I get my other bag.

I started out by fixing the drain pump on the front bag. The pump was originally stuffed in the same locker as the bag and it doesn't always drain well. So I drilled a hole through the storage compartment and will have the pump on that side of the wall.

Next I installed a check valve on Mike's recommendation, rather than cross vent the bags, he said a simple check valve will suffice.

So, that's where I left it today. Next I'll be drilling a hole through the back wall into the area where the Taps motor is and route the drain hose through that and connect that to the bag.

Anybody see anything I'm missing? If so, please chime in.

My plan is to route the hose from the pump manifold, back down the side of the compartment along the block and then back up to the bag. Is this correct or can I just run it straight up to the front of the bag rather than go all the way to the back of the compartment? Not sure if I'm making much sense of that. Any advise would be taken.
    "Charlie don't surf"

Looking good! I drilled one of my bow pumps through the wall and the other left inside. The thru wall is much much better and I switched both to that method.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

I haven't posted my finished product since I did this back in May. We've enjoyed two months of great surfing with the new set up. My issue now, and I knew it was going to be an issue, was the fill times with my current system. I realize the manifold with the intake at the transom isn't the most desirable, however, I'm thinking the set up will work for us for right now.

My question for everyone is can I swap out these pathetic 550 GPH pumps in the manifold (see above pic) with better pumps? I've looked around at Amazon and there are some Johnson 1000GPH pumps that might work. If any has experience with this please chime in.
      "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

Are the pumps glued in or just screwed in? If screwed, you can replace with a Atwood t800. Mike had an awesome pump analysis that shows the 800s are not much slower than an Atwood t1200 when using 1" hose. The nice part about the t800 is that it available at every Wal mart if your pump goes out at a bad time.

Regarding the question on replacing the cartridges, I vaugly remember reading a thread of someone upgrading theirs and that they were plug in play but I can't remember if it was with the 1000 cartridges or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        Mods: MLA BIG Ballast System (1800+ Custom sacs, 2 500 W705 sacs under bow), Duffy Surf Flap Mod, Trimmed Swim Deck, Top-Mount Starter

Comment

They look to be just screwed in. I guess I never thought about just replacing the cartridges. I'll take a look online and see if I can't just do that. I suppose the housing would be the same size???

It looks like Amazon has a 1000GPH pump, not sure if it would fit though.
          Last edited by WYTige?; 08-04-2015, 10:06 PM.
          "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

Be careful that your "smoking hot book keeper wife" doesn't start to troll your forums. Then you get in trouble. Been there... got the t-shirt. "You care more about your boat than me!".

I've already said too much.

Comment

My question for everyone is can I swap out these pathetic 550 GPH pumps in the manifold (see above pic) with better pumps?
              There are a couple of higher output pumps that use the same .75" threaded inlet, making that part of the swap somewhat easy. next hurdle is being able to mate back with the existing hose. The original hose is .75" but I cant tell from the one pic what size that white flex PVC is. If you really want to get the most out of a pump upgrade, stepping up to 1" so you can use the W743/W746 sac fittings instead of the .75" W736/W742 fittings.
              Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                There are a couple of higher output pumps that use the same .75" threaded inlet, making that part of the swap somewhat easy. next hurdle is being able to mate back with the existing hose. The original hose is .75" but I cant tell from the one pic what size that white flex PVC is. If you really want to get the most out of a pump upgrade, stepping up to 1" so you can use the W743/W746 sac fittings instead of the .75" W736/W742 fittings.
                Mike I was able to increase the output to the 1' hose you sent me so that did help, however, it takes a loooong time to fill that custom sac with that small of a pump. Would you recommend just swapping out for the Attwood T800?
                "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
                  Be careful that your "smoking hot book keeper wife" doesn't start to troll your forums. Then you get in trouble. Been there... got the t-shirt. "You care more about your boat than me!".

I've already said too much.
                  Haha! No worries, she's Canadian!!! I married up eh??
                  "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

Since youve already got the hose upgraded to 1", then upgrading the swapping pumps is easy. I like to use the Rule pump for this.

*Correcting to the pump brand*
                    Last edited by chpthril; 08-04-2015, 11:19 PM.
                    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Would a 1000GPH Johnson cartridge fit in this housing? If so, that's exactly what I'll do.
                      "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

Originally posted by WYTige? View Post
                        Would a 1000GPH Johnson cartridge fit in this housing? If so, that's exactly what I'll do.
                        Ya the cartridges are all the same and will fit no problem. I still use the same factory manifold for my front sac and just upgraded the cartridges to 1000gph. But, if your already set up for 1", i would swap out for a couple 1200gph tsunamis. They're only slightly more money than a new cartridge and are quite a bit faster.

Comment

The Atwood 1200 will not fit the manifold

Comment

Last night I went ahead and just ordered a Johnson 1000GPH cartridge. I'll let you all know what kind of differences I see with it.
                            "Charlie don't surf"

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                              The Atwood 1200 will not fit the manifold
                              Ya, sorry i forgot about that. Its been a while since i did my install. I had to add a new thru hull for those pumps.

Comment

Working...
                              X