No announcement yet.

Settings for 2016 Z1 Taps 3- Surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With Taps 3 its all about having enough rear weight to allow the convex vx to actually do whats its designed to do... With the non surf system boats the leaning of the boat drastically onto one side satisfied that requirement with getting the hull deep enough for convex vx to actually draw the hull down deep. With taps 3 evenly weighted its taking significantly more weight evenly to accomplish that feat. For me its a drastic tipping point and then boom you can really tell the difference and not just by shape but the ability to then take the speed from 11.2-11.6 to 12 and even to 12.5 and not have the wave suffer in shape or height. Its a wild thing to explain but once you see it the first time its what is then the benchmark every time out.

When the rear weight/hull orientation is correct the conditions wont matter nearly as much. I surf my boat in 15mph white cap winds all the time now, no issues. Not ideal but not even fractionally as sensitive as when I was first experimenting with the system and what makes it tick.

All of this isnt by my own doing either, Rag was nice enough to share his baseline with us in the Rzx and I have really just gone from there. No one thought his info transferred over but I think that taps 3 makes these new boats more similar then anyone can imagine.

The only thing I change when I am out from a 3 person crew to a 7 person crew is the speed and the center taps plate, all other weight and taps 3 settings remain the same.

Want a mellow skim wave then taps goes to 2-3 want a rampy wave for big airs etc, taps goes to 4+.

Not enough people in the boat? bump that taps plate up a little to get the hull deeper in the water.

Cake now, and massive. Biggest **** I have ever surfed and it isnt close.... That is until I get into Rags RZX one day most likely...

This was at 12.5mph......

IMG_3555-3.jpg
    Last edited by Germaine Marine; 07-30-2016, 07:23 AM.
    Germaine Marine
    "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

Just checked this past weekend. I'm between 5 and 6 degrees of list on the right. 5 on the left. That's for me. That's too much for my son and daughter.

Comment

That's awesome Elevated. Thanks for sharing. I'll try bumping up to 12 + mph with your settings to see what I get. Not back on the boat till the weekend though.

Comment

Elevated - what do you have your taps 3 settings at? For right and left surf?

Comment

Taps 3 is at 1 fully deployed... taps at 4

a wave decent above 11.8 mph is going to be hard to attain unless you are running extra weight in the boat.

It took 500 a side to get my boat to surf over 12mph. Now it surfs 12.5 all day everyday.
            Last edited by Germaine Marine; 08-08-2016, 05:09 AM.
            Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by Markmemsc View Post
              Nice - sorry for the slow response. Been too busy surfing!

Referring to "The higher the surf settings the more speed needed", I mean, the higher the number on the setting (and the lower the plate). I'll be back on the board this weekend and will try to go with Taps 2 on right (I'm goofy) (or left for others) with taps (center) at 3 - 5. Will let you know my thoughts. I'm ~185 lbs.

How much is enough weight in the back? I fill up all the sacks and ask anyone in the boat to sit on the surf side. Though I've found that it's not so much how much weight you have in the boat, but what you do with it. One of my best runs I had was with only two women in the boat and taps 4 with 6 on surf right and 11. 3 mph. Still trying to figure it all out.
              The higher the number the less plate deployed in the water....... its backwards
              Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by Markmemsc View Post
                It really depends on who's surfing and the conditions. My 50 lbs daughter needs a lot less push than I do at 185 lbs. In fact a big rampy wake is too much for her but works for me.

Common to all - make sure the wake is clean and not frothy. Froth kills momentum in a hurry. Curls are fun and nice to look at. I wouldn't set your wake by it though. It will typically happen naturally.

Your settings will change slightly depending on how many people you have on the boat. But in my experience, at least on my Z1, it's not so much how much additional weight (people) you have on the boat (assuming ballasts are full), but what you do with the weight you have. I've had some of my best sessions with only two women on board (good motivation I guess).

Wind will have a bigger affect than you might think. It will add froth to the wake and break it up. Ideally, you'll want the wind to hit the broad side of the wave to help build as opposed to break it.

Like water skiing, smooth water with little to no wind is ideal.

In the end, you have to get out and try different settings and adjust depending on the surfer, people on board and the conditions around you. Try to remember those settings though or you'll be kicking yourself next time you're out trying to dial it back in!
                Dont mead to counter everything you are saying because we have different hulls so maybe that is where the difference lies. My local lake is blown out every day with 10mph winds plus.. Once the correct additional rear weight was added to get the convex vx working, it could care less about the wind... the tail of the wave might distort with passing white caps or chop but the bones of the wave are unaffected...

Just my.02
                Last edited by Germaine Marine; 08-08-2016, 05:10 AM.
                Germaine Marine

Comment

I have a 16 rz2 with taps 3. Just got it and the info in here is great. Question when I'm riding and adjusting taps 2 up to 4, 5, or higher there is a point where the wave gets messy like it froths up and loses the smooth shape. Will more speed clean this back up or am I just out of the range I should be in.

Taps 3 on one
                  2400 ballast full in rear 60 in the front.
                  10.8 to 11

My wife is driving so getting her to make many adjustments on the fly is hard on my marriage. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by robricketts View Post
                    I have a 16 rz2 with taps 3. Just got it and the info in here is great. Question when I'm riding and adjusting taps 2 up to 4, 5, or higher there is a point where the wave gets messy like it froths up and loses the smooth shape. Will more speed clean this back up or am I just out of the range I should be in.

Taps 3 on one
                    2400 ballast full in rear 60 in the front.
                    10.8 to 11

My wife is driving so getting her to make many adjustments on the fly is hard on my marriage. Thanks.

I have had the same experience with my Z3. The wave is hard to keep clean at anything above taps 2 @ 5.

What is your crew size? Depending on your crew size you can up the speed.

I would recommend a minimum speed of 11.2. I know it sounds counterproductive but it works for some reason. 11.2 minimum speed with stock ballast.

Comment

depending on what your boat is doing RPM wise it could be as simple as a prop change. My whole boat is drastically different now that I re-propped.

with that being said, Taps 2 for me does not ever go above 4, if you want a little more wave height, take taps 3 to 3-4 that takes the plate an inch out of the water plus or minus, lets the hull settle a little deeper and speeds up the convergence a little which in turn give you a little more ramp then you can achieve using just the taps 2 plate.

For the best overall which for me is the most clean and longest wave, its a correctly weighted taps 3 at 1 taps 2 at 3 set up...........
                      Germaine Marine

Comment

Thanks for the tips. I was out this morning with only my wife and daughter the wave is good. On the weekend there are 6 or 7 adults and kids. Then things require a rethink. . Either way particle makes perfect.

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
                          depending on what your boat is doing RPM wise it could be as simple as a prop change. My whole boat is drastically different now that I re-propped.

with that being said, Taps 2 for me does not ever go above 4, if you want a little more wave height, take taps 3 to 3-4 that takes the plate an inch out of the water plus or minus, lets the hull settle a little deeper and speeds up the convergence a little which in turn give you a little more ramp then you can achieve using just the taps 2 plate.

For the best overall which for me is the most clean and longest wave, its a correctly weighted taps 3 at 1 taps 2 at 3 set up...........
                          What did you reprop to? I noticed my R21 w/ Raptor 400 came with the 537....

Comment

Now that I have several more hours with the boat. I am really pleased with it. Taps 3 system is awesome. I find that I like it between 3 to 5 with 100% in the rear 50% in the bow with light crew. The surf link really makes it easy to feel what each setting does. I find3 at 1 tips the boat over too much. My rule of thumb is enough angle to have the swim platform flush with the water. Maybe as I improve this will change but for now this is how I find it works best. Taps 2 at 4 and speed 10.8 to 11.

Comment

Rob I would say you are correct..... Its biggest setting may not work for everyone which is why the system is soo good.

Had a few first time taps 3 people on my boat at the reunion. It was a hit and I was able to adjust the wave accordingly to different riders needs and everyone was amped...
                              Germaine Marine

Comment

Working...
                              X