No announcement yet.

Settings for 2016 Z1 Taps 3- Surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Listen to Ragboy, I used his settings on my boat today and it was the real deal...... Fill them all and go to work
    Germaine Marine
    "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

We tried Ragboy's way yesterday and had 8 people in the boat and to me it seemed like a lot of load on the engine but the wave was amazing! Yesterday was our first time to have two people surf at the same time. Very successful day and time to head out again.

Comment

We love our Taps 3! Image1464536244.998580.jpg

Comment

That does look pretty good! Does it clean up any better on the top though? If you leaned it over a bit or something?

Comment

Yeah we can roll it over quite a bit more.

Comment

Originally posted by tigeZ16 View Post
              Yeah we can roll it over quite a bit more.
              Awesome, is the pic above with equal weighting on both rear bags?

Comment

Settings for 2016 Z1 Taps 3- Surfing

Yes, filled 100% in both back bags and 50% in front.
                Last edited by tigeZ16; 05-30-2016, 06:38 PM.

Comment

Hi Folks. I have a 2016 Z1 with Taps 3, fully upgraded factory surf system. I've only surfed with bow sacks full and stern sacks anywhere from 70 - 100% full. Agree - the rear sacks can get pinched and need a quick check while filling (don't wait too long to check or you'll be draining and starting again!)

Left surf: taps at 4, surf at 4 - 6. Right surf: taps at 5, surf at 8. Speed at 11 mph.

At these settings - The wake starts to break up below 10.8 and benefits from a few points above 11.0 if you don't mind the extra speed. The wake ends up being pretty rampy with lots of push. Now trying to find a setting to give me a longer, less rampy wake without sacrificing too much push.

The higher the surf settings, the more speed you need. Seems obvious I guess - but thought I would mention.

Would be great to get your input on a longer less rampy wake with good push.

Comment

good info.

Comment

Go full in the front and the load of the motor will ease and the wave will be better. Taps around 3
                      Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by Markmemsc View Post
                        Hi Folks. I have a 2016 Z1 with Taps 3, fully upgraded factory surf system. I've only surfed with bow sacks full and stern sacks anywhere from 70 - 100% full. Agree - the rear sacks can get pinched and need a quick check while filling (don't wait too long to check or you'll be draining and starting again!)

Left surf: taps at 4, surf at 4 - 6. Right surf: taps at 5, surf at 8. Speed at 11 mph.

At these settings - The wake starts to break up below 10.8 and benefits from a few points above 11.0 if you don't mind the extra speed. The wake ends up being pretty rampy with lots of push. Now trying to find a setting to give me a longer, less rampy wake without sacrificing too much push.

The higher the surf settings, the more speed you need. Seems obvious I guess - but thought I would mention.

Would be great to get your input on a longer less rampy wake with good push.

Explain "the higher the surf setting" .... Because as backwards as it sounds, the higher the number the less plate deployed,

Depending on how many are in the boat, I would fill all the bags full, run taps 3 at 1 (Both sides) and run taps at 3-5 depending who is in the boat. If you dont have enough rear weight, then bring some taps plate in meaning 4 or maybe even 5 and the boat will settle deeper. If you have the right amount of rear weight and the convex vx is sucking the hull down, then you can run taps at 3 which will give you a nice long great wave...

IMG_3316.jpg
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by Germaine Marine; 07-18-2016, 03:28 AM.
                        Germaine Marine

Comment

Nice - sorry for the slow response. Been too busy surfing!

Referring to "The higher the surf settings the more speed needed", I mean, the higher the number on the setting (and the lower the plate). I'll be back on the board this weekend and will try to go with Taps 2 on right (I'm goofy) (or left for others) with taps (center) at 3 - 5. Will let you know my thoughts. I'm ~185 lbs.

How much is enough weight in the back? I fill up all the sacks and ask anyone in the boat to sit on the surf side. Though I've found that it's not so much how much weight you have in the boat, but what you do with it. One of my best runs I had was with only two women in the boat and taps 4 with 6 on surf right and 11. 3 mph. Still trying to figure it all out.

Comment

What do you guys watch for when setting up the wake? tall, short, no whitewash, whitewash at a certain point, curl at a certain point. I tried more ballast in the nose the other day and ran the taps 2 and surf tabs up and down. I could notice a bit of difference on the settings, but still not sure by sight if I know what I am looking for.

Comment

It really depends on who's surfing and the conditions. My 50 lbs daughter needs a lot less push than I do at 185 lbs. In fact a big rampy wake is too much for her but works for me.

Common to all - make sure the wake is clean and not frothy. Froth kills momentum in a hurry. Curls are fun and nice to look at. I wouldn't set your wake by it though. It will typically happen naturally.

Your settings will change slightly depending on how many people you have on the boat. But in my experience, at least on my Z1, it's not so much how much additional weight (people) you have on the boat (assuming ballasts are full), but what you do with the weight you have. I've had some of my best sessions with only two women on board (good motivation I guess).

Wind will have a bigger affect than you might think. It will add froth to the wake and break it up. Ideally, you'll want the wind to hit the broad side of the wave to help build as opposed to break it.

Like water skiing, smooth water with little to no wind is ideal.

In the end, you have to get out and try different settings and adjust depending on the surfer, people on board and the conditions around you. Try to remember those settings though or you'll be kicking yourself next time you're out trying to dial it back in!

Comment

The other question I would have to ask Markmemsc is when the boat is up to speed and everything is fully engaged what is the list of your boat on the inclinometer?

Comment

Working...
                                X