Settings for 2016 Z1 Taps 3- Surfing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Settings for 2016 Z1 Taps 3- Surfing

I just bought a 2016 Z1 with the Taps 3 system!! I took it out this weekend and couldn't quite dial in the wake for surfing. Does anyone have any recommended settings for the ballast and taps, we typically have 2-3 people on the boat with one in the water.

Thanks!!

First thing is first, check to make sure all the bags are laid out correctly and can fill, meaning make sure they aren't folded over.

My dads 16 built a monster wave and mine this weekend wouldn't build a thing on port side, after digging in the locker I noticed that the port bag was folded over onto itself and was filling maybe 2/3...

As for setting,

Go full weight in the rear, 40% up front taps at 4 and taps3 at 4-5 and dial from there.

I notice my boat builds the best wave with that setup Which results in about 8 degrees of list on the surf side...
    Germaine Marine
    "A proud dealer of Tige, Supra, Moomba and ATX performance boats"

Comment

We finally got the 10 hour break-in period out of the way this past weekend and got to surf the boat at last (though the water temp was a bit chilly for my taste...). Note: we are in an R21 but in assuming the surf performance should be identical to your Z1.

Anyway, my dealer recommended exactly what elevatedconcept suggested above. We started there (and used 11 mph) and had a very surf able port side wave. It was pretty steep and easy to free ride. Now I need to tinker with the taps 3, speed and bow weight to see if we can lengthen it. I'm going to start by filling more in the bow to see if we get a longer pocket to drop back into. I also need to figure out how not to fall on my arse when transferring.

Would love to hear what others are doing as well.

May take the boat out this weekend with the GoPro suction cupped at the rear to video the wave size and shape with various settings while we tinker with it (without a surfer back there).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I haven't been on the Z1, but just spent some good time with the Z3. I will be posting setup and pictures and video soon.

I think you get the most push the more level you are, but on some boats its hard to get a clean wake level. The Z3 we were on made a beautiful clean wake level. Our setup was:

Fill EVERYTHING 100% until the bags leak to make sure they are all full.

Set taps 3 to 1 (all the way down) and for the most part just leave it there.

Set taps 2 to 3 and adjust to taste for steep/shallow.

Set speed to 11.4.

Move people and/or gear so that at REST you show about 2 degrees of list to the side you are going to surf, that is all you need and GO.

IMHO, 10.8 is too slow. The wake is best at about 11.6 but that can be too fast for some. This is the same on the RZX. If you like to ride slower, work up to at least 11.2, the wake will be less mushy and the wake will be longer. The convex hull will help the wake hold its size up to 11.6 or so.

Enjoy. With 2-3 people only, you may want to put 200 lbs of lead under the sacs.

Just my opinion, try the other settings as well. Post pics.
        http://wake9.com/

Comment

I can't stress enough.... Check to make sure your rear bags are pulled taunt into the storage lockers... My port bag was folded under the big brick section of the bag.
          Germaine Marine

Comment

Surfing as we speak now that my port bag is unfolded, I agree with rag, taps 3 at 1 and taps 2 at 3/4. Speed for me up river with a big current is 9.6, my guess is the current is around 1.5-2mph. This thing build the gnarliest starboard wave I have ever been behind...

I'm running 200 of lead in the port locker evenly distributed and 100 in the starboard locker. I think this thing would love 300 on each side additional from factory..
            Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
              Surfing as we speak now that my port bag is unfolded, I agree with rag, taps 3 at 1 and taps 2 at 3/4. Speed for me up river with a big current is 9.6, my guess is the current is around 1.5-2mph. This thing build the gnarliest starboard wave I have ever been behind...

I'm running 200 of lead in the port locker evenly distributed and 100 in the starboard locker. I think this thing would love 300 on each side additional from factory..
              Just wanted to clarify.... this is based on the 2016 stock weighting of 400 400 1100 1100? Just want to make sure cause my 2015 has the 550's up front so I will have to run alittle less bow weight.

Comment

I may be incorrect but I think the 21 footers have 950's in the rear and 250's in the front for a total of 2400

Comment

Originally posted by elevatedconcept View Post
                  I can't stress enough.... Check to make sure your rear bags are pulled taunt into the storage lockers... My port bag was folded under the big brick section of the bag.
                  Thanks! Will definitely check on this.

Comment

This is great! Hopefully I won't have to add the lead. When we demo'd the boat, we only had 2 people inside and one person surfing and it was the best surf I have seen. The dealer must have been some magical wave creator, because we haven't been able to reproduce!

We had been running 100% in the aft and 25% in the bow, so looks like I need to increase the ballast in the front for sure.

Thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBiz View Post
                      This is great! Hopefully I won't have to add the lead. When we demo'd the boat, we only had 2 people inside and one person surfing and it was the best surf I have seen. The dealer must have been some magical wave creator, because we haven't been able to reproduce!

We had been running 100% in the aft and 25% in the bow, so looks like I need to increase the ballast in the front for sure.

Thanks for the advice.
                      Go with Rags advice, fill it all and duplicate the surf system settings
                      Germaine Marine

Comment

I run my boat full. 1100 1100 400 400 with 200 lead weight port side and 100 weight starboard.
                        Germaine Marine

Comment

Originally posted by ragboy View Post
                          I haven't been on the Z1, but just spent some good time with the Z3. I will be posting setup and pictures and video soon.

I think you get the most push the more level you are, but on some boats its hard to get a clean wake level. The Z3 we were on made a beautiful clean wake level. Our setup was:

Fill EVERYTHING 100% until the bags leak to make sure they are all full.

Set taps 3 to 1 (all the way down) and for the most part just leave it there.

Set taps 2 to 3 and adjust to taste for steep/shallow.

Set speed to 11.4.

Move people and/or gear so that at REST you show about 2 degrees of list to the side you are going to surf, that is all you need and GO.

IMHO, 10.8 is too slow. The wake is best at about 11.6 but that can be too fast for some. This is the same on the RZX. If you like to ride slower, work up to at least 11.2, the wake will be less mushy and the wake will be longer. The convex hull will help the wake hold its size up to 11.6 or so.

Enjoy. With 2-3 people only, you may want to put 200 lbs of lead under the sacs.

Just my opinion, try the other settings as well. Post pics.
                          LOL This advice is the exact opposite of what's said in the owner's manual. It explicitly states not to fill the all the ballasts for surfing, and to have the taps2 system at a 5-8. So must be the new guy hazing.

Comment

Hmm, not trying to contradict the manual, don't have one, wasn't my boat. ;-)

But you can see the pictures, and the video shows a great wake.
                            http://wake9.com/

Comment

Ahh. Ok

Comment

Working...
                              X