This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eksilva View Post
    Is it possible to remove the old impeller with a pair of pliers?

Nice post Lee, thanks.
    If your impeller is shot it will slide out very easily. If you are doing preventive maintenance it will be tougher to get out. You could get it out with some vise grips.

Comment

Lee,
      The impeller box in your picture says Johnson pump. The pump looks the same, but the part number on the box does not cross over to the Jabsco impeller for the Jabsco pump I have. Are there some variations in the impeller?
      Or maybe there are several impellers that fit the pump?

Comment

If you look at the third picture and look hard you will see "812" on the impeller just like on the new ones box.

Comment

Looks simple enough....pictures are WOW.......but Id like a video please!

Comment

lol.......... IM SERIOUS!

Comment

A bit more difficult even on i-drive with a pylon in the way!

I only have 3 screws! Any idea where I can get a 4th or what screw I can use as a replacement??

TIA!

Comment

If you need another screw, take one to Ace and match it up. I believe mine were brass.
                You do not need a video. Tape a mirror to the back of the inside of the boat so you can see what you are doing. It is very simple. Do you have the 6.0 or 5.7?

Comment

Its a pain to change it out on a 24V. After taking the impeller cover off, we worked on in for about 45 to 50 minutes and were getting no where using screw drivers, pliers, and getting cuts and blisters. Really enjoyable working on that thing backwards and upside down, sideways etc with little room between engine and back wall and using a mirror! Finally got some dish soap and mixed with water and sprayed into the housing. kicked the starter a few times to spin the impeller. You may want to try this. It worked for us. It then came out rather easily. I guess maybe it wasn't worn enough to change out? As far as those brass screws are concerned all 4 of ours were at best barely tight if that!!! strongly recommend to everyone to check the cover brass screws and make sure they are tight and not missing.

Comment

TigeDuner,
                    I wouldn't tape that mirror to the back wall. If you are pulling on that impeller with pliers, or screw drivers, the they slip like they did for us, your hand/knucles will be in that glass!

Comment

I used an impeller removal tool to remove mine. The impeller was out in a couple of minutes. The mirror I used was only about 10" x 10" and it was just to help get the location right for the tool.

I had plenty of room once the back panel to the battery was shifted out of the way on the starboard side.

My screws were not very tight also. I guess the factory doesn't crank on them enough.

I also have the 6.0 which may allow for more room towards the back of the boat.

I had the most fun with keeping the o-ring in place while putting on the cover. A little bearing grease finally kept it in place.

Glad you got it done.

Comment

Originally posted by TigeDuner View Post
                        I used an impeller removal tool to remove mine. The impeller was out in a couple of minutes. The mirror I used was only about 10" x 10" and it was just to help get the location right for the tool.

I had plenty of room once the back panel to the battery was shifted out of the way on the starboard side.

My screws were not very tight also. I guess the factory doesn't crank on them enough.

I also have the 6.0 which may allow for more room towards the back of the boat.

I had the most fun with keeping the o-ring in place while putting on the cover. A little bearing grease finally kept it in place.

Glad you got it done.

Where can I get a impeller removal tool???

SPBFAN maybe
                        Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by G-MONEY View Post
                          Where can I get a impeller removal tool???

Its called a dealer
                          Let it be!!!

Comment

Originally posted by xpjim1 View Post
                            Its called a dealer
                            YA but if I call the dealer I will pay for the tool plus 200% mark up on it
                            Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. THAT'S relativity. Albert Einstein

Comment

Here is one place that has pullers. I just googled impeller removal tool and got many sites.
                              http://www.nextag.com/impeller-puller/search-html

Comment

Found mine on ebay (Jabsco puller) for $40.00 delivered. I will use it every year.

Comment

Working...
                                X