This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Change your Marine Power (Jabsco) Impeller

The Jabsco Impeller is one of the easiest impeller to swap out.

What you will need is Impeller, and a 5/16 socket and ratchet. A straight blade screw driver may be used instead of a socket.

You will need to remove the four screws, plate and gasket from the front of the housing.

If needed you can use a impeller removing tool to remove the impeller.

If you do not have a removing tool you may use two screw drivers and pry the impeller out of the housing.

The new Jabsco impeller will come with some lubricant to coat the new impeller with before you align the spines and insert the new impeller. After you insert impeller apply the new gasket, plate and four screws.
    Last edited by Matt Garcia; 10-04-2010, 03:58 PM.

You make it look so easy Lee. Try it on a V drive. Takes a couple more minutes. The tool helped a bunch with the V drive.

Thanks for the post. TD

Comment

I have, i-drive is easier to take pictures of.

Comment

I agree with the i drive being easier. I don't like crawling back into that area a lot either. Talking about a PITA to get to.

Lee, nicely done.

Comment

Is it basicly the same on a Merc??? If you do have a V drive do you have to have the tool??

Thanks
          sam
          15 Escalade ESV-Black
          08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

Thanks for the post Lee, I'm making this a sticky.

Would it be helpful if we could list the engine(s) this would apply to? Lastly what direction should the impeller vanes rotate to?
            Last edited by Matt Garcia; 03-25-2008, 12:10 PM.

Comment

This would apply to all Marine Power and Indmar engines as they use a Jabsco pump. If you apply the lube to the impeller, when the boat starts it will turn in the correct direction without damage to the impeller.

Comment

Originally posted by samw View Post
                Is it basicly the same on a Merc??? If you do have a V drive do you have to have the tool??

Thanks
                sam
                A Merc is totally different and a write up had been done on that model also.

Comment

Impellar change

Hey Lee
                  Great write up, thanks for the info that is really helpful. Will be changing my impellar this spring.......fireman

Comment

Originally posted by samw View Post

Thanks
                    sam
                    In a merc you have to take off the whole water pump.

Like lee said i think there is a write up on it somewhere.
                    Common Sense is not so Common
                    Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

How to change your Mercury engine impeller.

Comment

Is it possible to remove the old impeller with a pair of pliers?

Nice post Lee, thanks.
                        The laughter of the world is merely loneliness pathetically trying to reassure itself. - Neal A. Maxwell

Comment

FYI the impeller is the same on MP engines as far back as '97.

I have a hard time finding the gasket to use on there not in a kit. Anyone know where it can be purchased stand alone and not as part of a kit?
                          http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                          []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

Originally posted by eksilva View Post
                            Is it possible to remove the old impeller with a pair of pliers?

Nice post Lee, thanks.
                            Mine came out with just fingers. So I gues that makes a solid "maybe" for your answer.
                            Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Comment

Mine was a little tougher to get our. With the tool, it took only a couple minutes. For $40.00 on Ebay, the tool was worth every penny, especially on the V.

Comment

Working...
                              X