No announcement yet.

Steering cable replacement on PRE2150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine is a one piece cable and back mount rack the part number was ssc13418 it was a Teleflex. I just hope the next one last longer then this one.

Comment

Originally posted by jleger98 View Post
      but that didn't include the helm, right?
      His 03 probably doesnt need the helm becuase its a rack and pinion system not the rotary.
      Common Sense is not so Common
      Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Rack system started in 2001.

Comment

You have a pic of the helm? I'll PM you. I don't have problems yet but I tend to collect spare parts and we have the same boat plus I don't have my stereo on that side (it's in the glove box).

Comment

PM d you back.
            Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

Comment

Let’s see if I can revive long lost topic. I just replaced the steering cable in my 2150. Got the part number from Tige and then found the match for it by doing some googling. Ended up with the Teleflex SS137-15. My friend who has done this once or twice decided we should keep the original helm/bezel in place because we would end up losing the tilt feature of the steering wheel with the new helm. After installing the new cable, we found that the rudder traveled far more to port than it did to starboard. From center to port, the steering wheel would make 1.75 turns to the left to stop. From center to starboard, it would only make about 1 full turn. So we adjusted the position of the steering cable support tube forward and aft until we found that we had equal amount of travel from center to port and center to starboard. What is strange is that it seems we lost range of motion, because it’s now only 2 full turns of the wheel to go from full port to full starboard (or 1 full turn in either direction from center). I believe the original setup was 3 full turns from one side to another?

Unfortunately, I do not have time to test out the steering until 3 or 4 weekends from now. Until then, I figured I’d see if anyone here can explain what may have happened here. Am I going to have a super responsive steering system, or am I going to be unable to turn as tight as I need to???

Comment

If you did lose some throw you won't notice a difference on that model of boat. It should still be extremely responsive.
                Oh Yeah!

Comment

KoolAid Yep, had no problems turning in either direction and the new cable made a huge difference.

Comment

Working...
                  X