Steering cable replacement on PRE2150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering cable replacement on PRE2150

anyone ever replaced a steering cable on a pre2150? Mine is dramatically tighter this spring than it was last fall. I think its time to get a new one put in. It was a MFPITA when I did it on my old boat. Is it any easier on this one? Anyone know what # the cable is?
    Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

Originally posted by jleger98 View Post
    anyone ever replaced a steering cable on a pre2150? Mine is dramatically tighter this spring than it was last fall. I think its time to get a new one put in. It was a MFPITA when I did it on my old boat. Is it any easier on this one? Anyone know what # the cable is?
    Check out the tutorial spharis has on www.wakeboatworld.com, it should be pretty similar.
    Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

Once you put it in the water and work it, it will loosen up too. There should be a zirc fitting on the rudder box too.

That tut is a great overview.
      http://www.wakeboatworld.com
      []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

I will be replacing mine before June. It froze up last year on our last trip. Let me know how it goes.
        Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Yeah, thats a good tut. I just hope its that easy. like I said on my last boat it was a huge PITA. AND I saw the link for the PP deal too

Comment

Spharis nice review of the vinyl cleaners.

I also use the 3M and now im going to talk my dad into the exquisite.
            Common Sense is not so Common
            Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

jleger,

Hopefully you have long arms and some gymnastics training. The hardest part of the whole process is reaching under the gas tank to the rudder. Everything else is a piece of cake.

Maybe your boat wont be as much of a reach as mine was. But then again, this was my dad and I and were both around the same height, about 5'6".
              Last edited by zad0030; 04-06-2008, 05:42 PM.

Comment

My backseat comes out easy, and the gas tank is only about 24" deep, so it will be fine. I've had no problem getting back there to grease it in the past. My problem was getting the cable end to feed up through the floor on my old boat. I couldn't get the end piece to turn. There wasn't enough room. Hopefully this one will be easier.

And yeah, I just ordered some of that exquisite stuff. Its been a while since I've looked at that site, and its really come quite a way. Good info well designed. I like it! Nice job Spharis!

Comment

If I ever get my boat back from the trailer store, I will be able to complete the FAE review and testing on db levels. I have the before, just no afters yet. That should be a good one.

Thanks.
                  http://www.wakeboatworld.com
                  []) [] []V[] [])

Comment

I had to replace mine on my PRE2200 a few years ago. Actually found one on Ebay that was much cheaper than the dealer. Be sure to to tie a string to the old one as you pull it through the hull. The string will help you pull the new one through. It was not hard. Took about 45 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by ghollow View Post
                      I had to replace mine on my PRE2200 a few years ago. Actually found one on Ebay that was much cheaper than the dealer. Be sure to to tie a string to the old one as you pull it through the hull. The string will help you pull the new one through. It was not hard. Took about 45 minutes.
                      Thats good to hear. Maybe I'll even take some pics and do a little write up

Comment

I went out tonight and pulled the rudder connector off the steering cable. The rudder moves freely, so its a bad cable. Problem is, there are no numbers, letters or any other markings of any sort on the cable. I looked at the rudder end and at the steering wheel end. nothin!!

Anyone know what steering cable you need for a 97 PRE2150wt?? Here's some pics, mostly cause my daughter wants me to put her pic here
                        Attached Files

Comment

Looks like you have the rotary version....

Thats all I can tell you

Comment

You do have the rotary version. That is a cable made by Morse. They are no longer in business but Teleflex does make a cable that will work in a morse steering box. I think the model number is actually stamped into the red casing around the cable. You can also call Tige in Abilene at 325-676-7777 and tell them what you are trying to find out. They will route you to the right. I do not remember his name but he is very helpful. He should be able to give you the teleflex part no..

Cute kid

Comment

Originally posted by ghollow View Post
                              You do have the rotary version. That is a cable made by Morse. They are no longer in business but Teleflex does make a cable that will work in a morse steering box. I think the model number is actually stamped into the red casing around the cable. You can also call Tige in Abilene at 325-676-7777 and tell them what you are trying to find out. They will route you to the right. I do not remember his name but he is very helpful. He should be able to give you the teleflex part no..

Cute kid
                              Dunno, Zad thinks that the last pic is the rotary version. I really don't know one from another.

Comment

Working...
                              X