Steering cable replacement on PRE2150

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jleger98 View Post
    Dunno, Zad thinks that the last pic is the rotary version. I really don't know one from another.
    Zad is correct that is a rotory. I have a rack system. It will be about 1.5-2.0 inches wide and about 1-1.5 feet long if I remember.
    15 Escalade ESV-Black
    08 RZ2-Blue

Comment

Originally posted by samw View Post
      Zad is correct that is a rotory. I have a rack system. It will be about 1.5-2.0 inches wide and about 1-1.5 feet long if I remember.
      which part will be 1-1.5 feet long? You mean the top extension piece that meshes with the gears?
      Reality is only an illusion that occurs due to a lack of alcohol.

Comment

Pulled the whole cable out today. The cable number was hidden underneath some electrical tape at the front end by the steering rack. It said: Morse 304411 180IN 7159. Can't find anything on that specifically on the net, but Anhany says he has the xref to look it up. So hopefully that will go back in as easily as it came out.

Comment

Be thankful you don't have a V-Drive!
          Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

but oooh, that would be nice wouldn't it?

Comment

Not when you have to replace your steering cable. You have to pull the gas tank.
              Cursed by a fortune cookie: "Your principles mean more to you than any money or success."

Comment

oh, ummm, yeah...I'll keep my DD for now thanks

Comment

i think G hallow is right about how morse is no longer in business. Teleflex probably makes the right cable. I have seen them in the overtons magazines.
                  Common Sense is not so Common
                  Looking for fat chicks for long walks, romance, cheap buffets, and BALLAST.

Comment

Just to share my experience, I have a 98 pre2100wt. Last summer the gear inside the helm stripped. After spending some time talking to the parts guy in the tige factory I found this. Morse was bought out buy Tele-Flex. I had to buy the upgraded helm with the SAFE-T quick connect fitting and the steering cable with the quick connect. It was a very easy installation after some headaches trying to find the cable before that weekend. Overton's had the helm on my doorstep the next day. All and all I was out about $200 and had the project completed in 2 days verses the boat shop telling me 3 weeks and $375.
                    How can I be racist when all of my assault rifles are black?

Comment

Anhaney hooked me up. Took a little digging but he was able to get the Teleflex part number. Bought a new helm too, and for the helm and the cable its $200 shipped. If you need something hit him up, he'll get you hooked up.

So I should have it early next week, but I've gotta go to Seattle, so probably won't get it in till next weekend....maybe all the ice will be off the lakes by then

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                        I will be replacing mine before June. It froze up last year on our last trip. Let me know how it goes.
                        I put the new cable in, was a piece of cake. Doing the rope method worked like a charm. The real problem came with the helm. because of where my stereo is mounted, the helm wouldn't fit. I needed about another inch of clearance. Fortunately, my old helm was still in good shape. I took it apart and cleaned everything up, then re-greased the heck out of it, and now the whole thing steers with a fingertip.

Needless to say, I have a perfectly good helm, brand-new for sale...cheap. PM me if you are interested. Otherwise I'll throw it up on ebay.

Comment

What was the part #, cost and where did you get the cable?

How much is the helm worth?
                          Mike Allen, Tigé owner since 1997

Comment

Originally posted by TeamAllen View Post
                            What was the part #, cost and where did you get the cable?

How much is the helm worth?
                            SPBFan hooked me up. The desc on the invoice reads:
                            "15' quick connect pkg uses SH5094/SB27484/ssc62"

It came as a kit so it doesn't break out the price for each. I think the helm was worth about $65, but I'd get rid of it for 40+shipping. The whole thing, helm and cable and shipping was $199, and if I recall the cable was like 100 or so??

You can look up the #'s and if thats too much, make me an offer.

Comment

I just ordered a new one for my 03 24V and bought it from boatfix.com for $126 shipped . It was difficult pulling the old one out hopefully the install will be easier.

Comment

but that didn't include the helm, right?

Comment

Working...
                                X