No announcement yet.

Speedset will not adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repeated pressing might be having the effect of "wiping" the contacts (though snap domes are not, strictly speaking, self-wiping nor self-cleaning) which might give you some temporary improvement. But it's a long-term losing game... the more you use it, the more it deteriorates. One day it won't work at all anymore.

Snap domes are cheap, cheap, cheap. It should be possible to clean the PCB contacts and replace the domes and get these touchpads working again as long as the underlying electronics are still OK. And no promises, but I may have a possible DIY replacement option, too, if I can ever get Travis from this thread to call me back.... {hint!}

Comment

Hey everyone, WA and I have been working on my setup and It still continues to give me problems. I cant get the Up and Down buttons to function, but the Select button works flawlessly. Im just checking to see if anyone has any updates on the speedset pads!

Comment

I'll repeat my public offer to examine one of these failed units and then return it (I'll even cover return postage), and I'll post my findings here for everyone's benefit. Now that I've seen a schematic I strongly suspect it will be possible to come up with a DIY repair for these units, but I can't be certain until I can physically see and run some tests on one that's failed.

PM me if you have one you're willing to do without for a week or so.

Comment

Hey WA, sorry, I have been so busy that my boat is STILL shrinkwrapped! I will send you mine to look at as soon as I get it out.

Comment

No problem, no rush, just wanted any new folks to know the offer is out there.

Comment

Having also seen the schematic for the tac module and the speed set its basicaly an enable signal. Increment and decrement signals and a status indicator. All basic digital stuff.

I'm going to replace mine with something custom along with the option of a GPS based speed input. All diy :-)

You could replace it with a toggle switch. Two momentary switches and an led.

You may have guessed I'm a electronics engineer by day...
              Last edited by ChrisSnow; 05-05-2015, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chrissnow View Post
                You could replace it with a toggle switch. Two momentary switches and an led.
                I believe that's possible, but want to know more about the IC's in that potted module. The schematic doesn't have part numbers, just stock numbers. One of them appears to be voltage regulator, but the other one appears to be a shift register. I *suspect* the contact closures are sufficient, since they are brought out on the connectors, but then why include a shift register? Medallion has a proprietary serial comm scheme they use between devices in their system; if this is meant to integrate with that then simple switch closures may not be enough.

Early MEFI ECU's had a rudimentary cruise control system that relied on simple contact closures. Tige may have had this module designed so it could work in either environment - contact closures for direct ECU control, or serialized comm for use with Medallion electronics. Thus if the electronics have failed, it may be that the pad won't work in a Medallion system. I simply can't know until I get my hands on one and run some tests. The detail that bothers me is if contact closures are all that's required, why bother with the complexity and expense of the IC's?

Comment

So it's getting late here in the UK but here is the findings over the last few days of fiddling..

The good news for people is that it can be replaced with common parts :-)

the reason mine has failed is that the flexible circuit board had severed one of it's tracks and a few others were rubbing and causing shorts, unfortunately in my opinion this is a design flaw due to how it is assembled.

The only special part of the panel is there is an MCU, at this point I believe it's sole purpose is to take the momentary on off switch and turn it into a latching signal for the ECU, this can however be replaced with a simple latching switch.

I will draw up a diagram and suggested parts list once I have built and tested one myself.

I will post some updates as and when I make progress, but certainly over the next week or so I should have something.

Comment

Thanks for doing the research! Nobody would send me one to examine. Sorry yours failed, but at least it forced some good R&D!

Comment

WA, I tried to PM you yesterday to get a mailing address and get mine sent up to you. I NO MATTER WHAT have a replacement lined up (catch is that If i walk into the factory it costs $1250) If you still are intereested in looking at mine WA or need one to see how to set up this fix I will still get it Fedex today. Call me if you can please 806-241-2371. John Mark Hatchett

Comment

Sorry about my PM mailbox filling up, it's open again {grin}. I will send you a PM with my shipping address in the next few minutes. Thanks!

Comment

Well WA is getting a speedset pad to work on so hopefully we will be able to figure some things out, Chrissnow if you have any ideas that you are working on feel free to share the more hands on this project and minds thinking of ideas, the better off we all are in hopefully finding a solution!!

A replacement Pad from Tige directly is $1250, Im not really up for spending that money if I dont have to. It would go a long ways toward stocking the boat with fuel and fun for the summer!

Comment

Based on my review of the schematic and Chris's view of his own touchpad, I'm confident we can provide a DIY friendly solution. It may not be beautiful, but hopefully it will be functional and the ever inventive Tige community can figure out ways to pretty it up!

Looking forward to seeing your touchpad soon, JM. I'll report back asap!

Comment

Yeah but we might be able to make it pretty.

Comment

Tracking number says expected delivery tomorrow folks!

Comment

Working...
                                X