Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK, sending PM....

Comment

If you look, I posted a similar issue a couple of weeks ago but for the center speedset button. I removed the stiff rubber pad and pushed the button on the circuit board under the big black rubber pad only to find all my buttons function just fine, it was the rubber pad that was too stiff to push on the circuit board. I made a new rubber button pad hot glued a little button on the back and now it works better than the day I bought my boat. Try it, what do you have to lose, at least that was my thought when I took mine apart. Worked great at the lake this last weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by Riverside711 View Post
        If you look, I posted a similar issue a couple of weeks ago but for the center speedset button. I removed the stiff rubber pad and pushed the button on the circuit board under the big black rubber pad only to find all my buttons function just fine, it was the rubber pad that was too stiff to push on the circuit board. I made a new rubber button pad hot glued a little button on the back and now it works better than the day I bought my boat. Try it, what do you have to lose, at least that was my thought when I took mine apart. Worked great at the lake this last weekend.
        Ohhh - I will try that! I didn't see your post, I apologize!

Comment

Originally posted by Riverside711 View Post

Terrific find! Do you have pics of the new buttons you can post?

Comment

I tore mine apart tonight and found that it uses 3 dome type switches for each side (up and down). On the down side of the control, one of the domes is collapsed and making constant contact. I was able to get it to pop back up for a few minutes and everything worked again. I started putting it all back together and it collapsed again. Grrr!
            Attached Files

Comment

Couple more pics
              Attached Files

Comment

Don't know if Valberg LLC did the whole pad but they seem to be closed or at least the website and other information is for them. Iwndr where the R20 pads come from or if they are any better than the ones they have been using?

Comment

Also, while messing with it, the screen went into some Calibration mode with brightness control and a few other items that I have never seen before. I think one may have even been speedo calibration. It was just jumping through the screens with a dark bar across the top that said Calibration. There must be some hidden features that I didn't know about by holding the buttons down or something. I turned off the boat before I messed anything up.

Comment

Timmy, those are indeed the snap dome switches I expected to find. It's rare for them to fail like that.

I can't quite tell from the photos but it's logical to presume that the three buttons on either side are wired in parallel. If so, the closure of any one is electrically the same as any other. Therefore, you should be able to remove the offending switch to eliminate the short and restore normal operation. The only downside is that area of that side won't be responsive anymore - you'll have to press over one of the other three switches to actuate that side. Small price to pay IMHO.

The other option would be to find a replacement snap dome. Let's try removing it first. If that doesn't work, we'll look at the PCB traces to see why not, or perhaps look for a replacement snap dome.

Please report back on what happens when you remove the dome and reassemble. Thanks!

Comment

Thanks, WA! You are correct about the 3 being wired in parallel. When I was able to get it to work, all 3 buttons on each side did the same thing. It looks like the backing behind the rubber is a harder plastic that doesn't flex and when you push the button, it is rigid enough to at least push one of the domes down. I will remove the bad dome, hook it back up and then report back.

Comment

Tim, check your email... I responded to your latest.

Comment

Well, that didn't fix the issue - yet. I put it back together for the moment so I can use the boat this weekend but I will be pinging WA next week so we can see if we can get it figured out. Thanks again for the support, WA!

Comment

Same problem as original poster with my 2007 22ve. Up or down arrows wont work but middle button can be used to set speed once underway. Major problem being that speed cannot be changed up or down once initially set. It seems odd to me that both up and down arrows would fail at the same time which leads me to believe it is a problem other than the dome switches. With mine I can "feel" the buttons being being pushed down in all the positions (three on down arrow and three on up arrow like in the photos posted above). Could this be a battery voltage issue? Very frustrating!

Comment

Originally posted by jbar View Post
                              It seems odd to me that both up and down arrows would fail at the same time which leads me to believe it is a problem other than the dome switches.
                              No surprise there at all. The two side switches probably share a common trace, and once it has a problem both switches are affected.

Also, as reported by Timmy there are multiple snap domes per touch area. You may be feeling some that are still working fine, but it would only take one to short the contacts and have an effect on operation. Hard to know until it's opened up.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                                No surprise there at all. The two side switches probably share a common trace, and once it has a problem both switches are affected.

Also, as reported by Timmy there are multiple snap domes per touch area. You may be feeling some that are still working fine, but it would only take one to short the contacts and have an effect on operation. Hard to know until it's opened up.
                                Thanks for the quick response!
                                I just took it apart and all six dome switches seem to be working. They all depress the same and all pop back to their original positions immediately after the force is removed. Maybe a problem in the board where it is not obvious? Looking for a simple solution...

Comment

Working...
                                X