Speedset will not adjust

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedset will not adjust

I have a 2008 22ve on Lake Travis. A few weeks back the speedset up/down arrows stopped working. I can still set the speed by pressing the center button after manually accelerating to a speed, and it will hold the speed when I do that. So the basic speedset mechanism is working. But I cannot set the speed before starting, or adjust it after doing the center button set, because pushing the up and down buttons has no effect. This behavior is consistent now for a number of lake runs. Turning battery off and back on has not had any affect.

It's a pretty good haul to get to the dealer from where I am, so if possible to fix it in place that would be nice. Ideas?
    Thanks,
    -Paul

Hi Paul
    This is very similar to what my speed set was doing only the up arrow would work. We got a new control panel posted from a dealer and it worked fine. The panel wasn't to hard to change two nuts and a plug in the back.

Comment

-Paul-
      Did you find a solution to your speedset problem. I am haviving the exact same issue on my 2011 r20. Called the dealer and troubleshot with them. They suspected the control button panel to be the problem. Send them 995.00 and the problem would be fixed (they think). So, I hope you found a better solution.

TJ Tallent
      Anadarko OK

Comment

Did you guys ever have any luck with this? I saw another thread where the guy was able to remove the buttons and add a larger contact to the back of it since apparently it wasn't reaching. I'm also hoping to avoid dropping 1k for 3 simple buttons...

Comment

I am having this same issue now on my '07 RZ2. It's weird because on one day last week all of the buttons worked and then later on that same day, the up arrow worked but not the down and then this weekend, neither of the arrows worked but the speedset button works. $1,250 retail for the part.

Comment

I find it amazing that no one has been able to pop the rubber cover off and take it to an electronic repair shop and get the contacts replaced or refurbished to get it running again. BTW, how many hours so you guys have on the boat for this this problem to develop?
            2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
            2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

I have repeatedly offered here on TO to dig into one of these keypads to see if they can be refurbished. I say that as a former Project Engineer for the largest keyboard manufacturer in the world - seriously, I'm vastly overqualified to do this. I'll do it for free and share everything I learn, with the caveat that I may destroy the keypad trying. Thus it should be one that you don't absolutely need back (i.e. you've already replaced it with another one and just have a bad one lying around).

My offer stands. Contact me when a keypad becomes available.

Comment

So here's the deal, it's $1,250 plus a $300 core charge. So someone has to be willing to take a $300 gamble to send you one. It can't be that hard to repair these things for someone with the proper tools and knowledge. From the work I have seen you do, WA, I believe that you could fix it. How many days do you think you would need?

BTW - I have 380 hours on my boat.

Comment

Damn, that is a high replacement cost. Since they want the core do they offer a refurb. one? If not why the core? Do they sell the Refurb one as new... Inquiring minds want to know....
                  Last edited by gwhite94; 06-18-2014, 07:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                    So someone has to be willing to take a $300 gamble to send you one.
                    I was thinking that some dealer might have an old "broken" one sitting on a shelf. If an enterprising employee offered to clean up the shop a bit....

I don't know if Tige actually wants them back or not. It may not be worth it to THEM to fix them - but it might be to we owners out here.

How many days do you think you would need?
                    I would look at it as soon as it arrives. Won't take long... it will either be fixable or not, one of those clear-cut situations. I am guessing it is what we call a "snap-dome" style switch with a rubber membrane over the top. If so, it's likely that the PCB contacts and the domes can be cleaned and returned to operation. Might even gold-flash them for long term durability.

Comment

Are you available the 2nd week of July? I won't be using my boat and was thinking I could send it to you.

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                        Are you available the 2nd week of July? I won't be using my boat and was thinking I could send it to you.
                        No need to send the whole boat.

Comment

Originally posted by WABoating View Post
                          No need to send the whole boat.
                          ok, I will just send you the touch pad...

Comment

Is this "try but stop before you damage it" (i.e. it's the one you're still using on the boat) or "it's already so broken it doesn't matter what happens to it"?

Comment

Only one button works so as long as I can use it as a core if the fix doesn't work, I don't care. I will pm you too.

Comment

Working...
                              X