Amp help. JL audio 6ch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DirtNasty View Post
    Everything is un hooked. I'm starting from scratch and trying to keep any parts I can and get a good sound. I will look at moving the tower speakers.

If I pull the 6.5" will I have to put the Subs in a new enclosure? I assume so. So if I'm gonna do all that plus have to buy a mono amp might as well drop the extra money into a 12" or 15" sub?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You dont want to put those woofers in a small enclosure, but you do want to isolate the full range speaker from the woofers. Removing the speaker leaves you a 5" void to fill, so constructing a baffle might be easier, if leaving the speaker in that location is what you want.

Oh and the towers can't be moved. Already tried that. These won't work with Bimini if I ever up grade to a better tower speaker I will get one with single clamp that will work with the bimini

Yes, the bimini canvas would need to be modified, well aware of that on your model year. Being on the forward hood, a lot of the output projects down into the cabin.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Amp help. JL audio 6ch

I'd like to remove them and go with one sub. Those two together don't hit very hard. Of course I don't really know how they were powered. But I'd like fo the subs to have there own Amps. Can I run the towers and the 4 in boats off the 6600? And if so how should I wire them up? I'm goin to add the ws 420 as well.

Also what's a good sub, enclosure, and amp combo to go with without goin too expensive. Say 800 bucks or so? That should get a decent sub setup right?

Comment

update

ok update** So i just bought two icon 8 towers... Why i dont know?? I got a deal! anyway. Im working on getting the ws-420sq as well. with these amp specs on the 6600 what would be the best way to wire up the icon 8's. bridge one speaker per channel to get 150w rms @ 4ohm?? and use the third bridged channel to power a sub at 150w rms or pair of in boats? or run the pair on one channel bridged?? again im not very savy on these stereo glossary terms! trying to utilize this jl amp to keep my cost down... still do subs, in boats and drive them as well.

amp specs:
        Amplifier Topology: Class A/B with patented Absolute Symmetry™ dual N-Channel MOSFET output design
        Power Supply: Unregulated MOSFET switching type
        Rated Power at 14.4V with less than
        1% THD+Noise (20Hz - 2 kHz)
        Stereo, all channels driven:
        75W RMS x 6 @ 4 ohms, 100W RMS x 6 @ 2 ohms
        Bridged, all channels driven:
        150W RMS x 3 @ 8 ohms, 200W RMS x 3 @ 4 ohms
        Rated Power @ 12.5V with less than
        1% THD + Noise (20Hz - 20 kHz)
        Stereo, all channels driven:
        55W RMS x 6 @ 4 ohms, 75W RMS x 6 @ 2 ohms
        Rated Power Bridged, all channels driven:
        110W RMS x 3 @ 8 ohms, 150W RMS x 3 @ 4 ohms
        Signal to Noise Ratio: >104 dB referred to rated power
        (A-weighted, 20 Hz-20 kHz noise bandwidth)
        Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 25 kHz (+0, -1dB)
        Damping Factor: >200 @ 4 ohms per ch./50 Hz,
        >100 @ 2 ohm per ch. /50 Hz
        Slew Rate: ± 22V/μs

Comment

150W RMS x 3 @ 8 ohms, 200W RMS x 3 @ 4 ohms
          You would actually get 200W rms to each pod and 4 ohm sub, so a little extra helps. Thats a solid pairing for the icon-8. 75W rms to a pair of in-boats is also good. Two pair would bring it down to 50W rms to each speaker. Still good wattage as thats a quality amp that will deliver. Knowing JL, these numbers are on the conservative side.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

but how would i wire the towers? I have a new head unit with 3 outputs ( front, rear, and sub) right now i don't have the ws420 but if i were going to wire system up right now with existing equipment. how would i hook up rca's properly? and should i bridge each of the tower speakers to each pair of channels. I'm attaching a picture of the way i wired it up last night. dont know if it was right?? I would change the hp filter on channels 1&2 to "on" but when i put in "on" at channels 3&4 it would change the sound? and vise versa. I could only have one pair of channels in the hp "on" position to get good sound. maybe that's the way its supposed to be. also i didn't have the sub hooked up not sure if hat matters. i also have a grounding issue i need to fix tonight. previous owner had ground ran back to helm somewhere and tied to all the other electronics ground. had hissing static coming from towers.

Comment

Right now I'm only concerned with wiring towers and a sub to the 6600. I will try to utilize the 6450 for in boats when I decide what speaker to go with. Or possibly sell the 6450 and run the in boats and sub with the 6600 and upgrade amp for the icon 8's

also when i get the ws420 what rca pair from head unit would i run to the input of the 420? (front, rear, sub)

Last edited by DirtNasty; 02-11-2016, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Picked these up for 485. They are in great shape. Did a rough install tonight and hooked up as pictured above to a weak battery. Sounded good!! I like the 8" size towers. Especially for the smaller boat. Moving them to the back as chp suggested looks better as well. Im going to have to run new wire but that shouldn't be a problem. It will be nice to use the Bimini as well.

Looks like my next step will be procuring two new good batteries. Any suggestions would be great. Id like to use two deep cycle agm batteries. Im looking at 31 series with about 100-105 amp hrs. Id like to find some for around 250 each. Havent looked into it much but gonna get started on my research tomorrow. Doesn't really do much good to upgrade The rest of the stereo and have a single weak battery to run it on.

Once i get the batteries i will start working my way up towards amps. I have decided to keep the jl 6600 and power to icon 8's and two in boats in the bow. Or maybe a small sub?? I will buy a sub and enclosure and dedicated sub amp for under the helm. Last but not least will get new in boats. And relocate the one under the helm. Will either use the remaining jl 6450 to power them or will go to a 4 channel just depends on budget at that point.

Comment

Dirt,

Ive had my main focus on our boat show for the past week, so forgive me for not seeing and replying to your latest posts. Boat show wrapped up tonight, so give me a day or so to put my shop back together and i'll get back with some thoughts and answers for you.

Thanks,

Comment

Awesome thanks.

Comment

but how would i wire the towers? I have a new head unit with 3 outputs ( front, rear, and sub) right now i don't have the ws420 but if i were going to wire system up right now with existing equipment. how would i hook up rca's properly? and should i bridge each of the tower speakers to each pair of channels. I'm attaching a picture of the way i wired it up last night. dont know if it was right?? I would change the hp filter on channels 1&2 to "on" but when i put in "on" at channels 3&4 it would change the sound? and vise versa. I could only have one pair of channels in the hp "on" position to get good sound. maybe that's the way its supposed to be. also i didn't have the sub hooked up not sure if hat matters. i also have a grounding issue i need to fix tonight. previous owner had ground ran back to helm somewhere and tied to all the other electronics ground. had hissing static coming from towers.
                      Your RCAs are right. Yes, bridge the icon-8s. They should be run in HP. Looking at the amps manual, you have a choice of OFF, HP and LP in that order for both chnls 1/2 and 3/4. Dont know why it sounds bad with both filter switches on HP. What are the cross over frequencies set to?

Amps need to ground direct to battery, so fix that first

Right now I'm only concerned with wiring towers and a sub to the 6600. I will try to utilize the 6450 for in boats when I decide what speaker to go with. Or possibly sell the 6450 and run the in boats and sub with the 6600 and upgrade amp for the icon 8's

also when i get the ws420 what rca pair from head unit would i run to the input of the 420? (front, rear, sub)

Front or rear just make sure the head-unit is centered or not faded to other pair.

Picked these up for 485. They are in great shape. Did a rough install tonight and hooked up as pictured above to a weak battery. Sounded good!! I like the 8" size towers. Especially for the smaller boat. Moving them to the back as chp suggested looks better as well. Im going to have to run new wire but that shouldn't be a problem. It will be nice to use the Bimini as well.

Looks like my next step will be procuring two new good batteries. Any suggestions would be great. Id like to use two deep cycle agm batteries. Im looking at 31 series with about 100-105 amp hrs. Id like to find some for around 250 each. Havent looked into it much but gonna get started on my research tomorrow. Doesn't really do much good to upgrade The rest of the stereo and have a single weak battery to run it on.

Once i get the batteries i will start working my way up towards amps. I have decided to keep the jl 6600 and power to icon 8's and two in boats in the bow. Or maybe a small sub?? I will buy a sub and enclosure and dedicated sub amp for under the helm. Last but not least will get new in boats. And relocate the one under the helm. Will either use the remaining jl 6450 to power them or will go to a 4 channel just depends on budget at that point.

I would try to keep all the in-boats on one amp. Splitting them up means dividing the RCAs. Not an issue if the 420 was part of the plan

Comment

You mention not having the sub wired up at the time. If you high pass everything it will sound odd as you will have no bass from anywhere!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks guys. The 420 is on the list as one of the next purchases. Wired up the icons and they worked fine with both in HP. Not sure why the kickers sounded weird and didn't function right with both filters on.

Any recommendations on a pair of batteries? I do a lot of sitting and listening so I need a battery that can handle that and handle the load of 2 or 3 amps

Comment

I use Shuriken AGM. They have a 100Ah thats a group-29/31 size. I would suggest a pair a 6V golf cart, but I think the height is too much for the transom slope. If they will fit, its hard to beat the Ah to $$ ratio.

Comment

Just pulled the trigger on two shuriken skbt100. Paid 349.00 total. Reviews were great on this battery couldn't pass them up for that price.

Comment

oh this is too funny, now that my sub upgrade is done, I was just looking at shuriken batteries. I was looking at the 60, but may change my mind now. How big can we go before we need an alternator upgrade?

Comment

Working...
                                X