Amp help. JL audio 6ch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amp help. JL audio 6ch

Im wanting to see what my best options are to get quality sound. My current set up is as follows:

im goin off memory here as the boat is not in front of me

2 jl 6channel amps. i believe they are m6600 series seems like these amps might be kinda weak to get enough power to all these speakers. 6-channel Class-AB System Amplifier. 75 W x 6 @ 4 Ω / 100 W x 6 @ 2 Ω - 14.4 V

i have two pair of the kicker kmt60 tower speakers 150w rms 300w peak

4 jl 6.6" in boats mx650

2 jl 7.7"?? in boats M770-CCW-SG-WH with m100 tweeter in bow.

1 sub. not even sure of make or size. think its a jl 12 but not sure i will update all this later.

im going to change head unit out with different setup. something simple and low cost and add wired remotes.

I know I will add ws 420 or some other equalizer and zone controller.

My question is can i get good power to all these speaker with the two 5ch amps or would i be better served to go with 3 amp setup. 2ch for tower, 4ch for in boats , and mono for sub? im not looking for theater quality, blowout the whole lake sound. just clean in boat and surf sound and decent bass from sub. and reliability, and conserving batteries. I know theres not alot to go on but was sitting at work bored and wanted to start the thread to help with ideas on setup. and best way to wire up.

I bought the boat this way and the guy who sold it to me supposedly was a car audio shop owner.... LOL this stereo setup was complete garbage and quality of installation was horrendous. Had issues with it all last summer when i bought the boat. This year i want it working properly and install cleaned up and integrated. need to build an amp wall for a clean install
    Last edited by DirtNasty; 01-18-2016, 06:33 PM.

With only one sub, you would only need one 5 chnl hybrid amp. Hybrid as in they have a dedicated low-pass subwoofer chnl. A typical 6 chnl is going to be a full range amp, meaning it could drive a sub or full range coaxial speakers.

Can you get more detail on the sub? Model and coil configuration will help

Are you looking to upgrade boat amps?

I would suggest a 2 chnl amp just for the KMT60's due to their nominal impedance.
    Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

http://mediacdn.jlaudio.com/media/mf...pdf?1305783848

here is the link for the amp specs. it has a sub channel ch 5/6. seems like alot to figure out for someone like me with only basic install and stereo sense. yes i plan to update the thread with sub specs and other info asap

Comment

also considering upgrading in boats to these? opinions..?? what amp size would i run with 2 pair of these 2.7 ohm speakers if i had them on their own amp.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...io-MM6501.html

Comment

Yes, the M6600 6 chnl can run a sub when wired across 2 chnls, making it a 5 chnl amp. The M6600 can also run a regular coaxial on those chnls, but a 5 chnl amp like the JL M700/5 or Kicker KXM800.5, can only run a sub on that 5th chnls, so you would not want two 5 chnl amps with only one sub in the system.

I would suggest the Um version as its a 4 ohm speaker. For the 2.7 ohm you are going to want a dedicated chnl for each speaker to make the most of it. Also note, that those 6.5" speakers are not going to fit well in place of those JL 7.7. Unless you have blown speakers, im hard pressed to say a Polk would be an upgrade over a JL, especially a 6.5 polk over a 7.7 JL.

If the you feel a speaker change is in order, have you considered the Kicker KM-8? Same size as the 7.7, so it would be an upgrade for sure, to swap out the 4 6.5" to a KM-8. They come with LEDs included.

I would make all speaker decisions upfront, then make the amp choices.
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

thanks. the 7" jl sound awesome... the other 4 jl sound like boo boo lol. all i want to change would be those for starters. I will look at the kickers as well

Comment

Which JL 6.5? It may just be tuning or power... We also need to know the woofer size and model number.
              Last edited by Truekaotik; 01-21-2016, 01:57 AM.
              Kaotik Kustomz: WetSounds, Arc, Kicker, Focal, Masconi, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, MTX, Life Form, Lumitec, Shadow Caster, Fly High, Llumarr, Sun Tek, SolarFX....

Comment

Originally posted by Truekaotik View Post
                Which JL 6.5? It may just be tuning or power...
                4 jl 6.6" in boats mx650
                ^^^^

Comment

Missed that. Thanks.
                  Kaotik Kustomz: WetSounds, Arc, Kicker, Focal, Masconi, Sony, Kenwood, Pioneer, MTX, Life Form, Lumitec, Shadow Caster, Fly High, Llumarr, Sun Tek, SolarFX....

Comment

So he (the guy who sold you the boat) has the one 6600 running the two tower and sub? And the other running the 4-mx650 and 2-7.7" Cabin speakers? Besides not knowing the sub it's pretty much the right power for the speakers. The next upgrade would be more power and a speaker that will handle that power. You can start small and do each at a time or all at once.

Comment

UPDATE!! So I started ripping out old junk in the boat and it looks like I was wrong about the amps... I have a 6600 and a 6450. I'm in the boat now posting this so I'm assuming the amperage is 600 and 450. I've attached some other pics of the speakers so you can see what I'm dealing with. I'd like the towers speakers on there own amp and would like to go to one bad *** sub as I now have 2 10"jl's. One is m101b-4-w and other is m101b5-cg-wh. Don't know any thing about these jl subs. Are they good? Should I just keep them and upgrade amp? Or get new sub and put in enclosure and amp?

I want to remove that 6.5" that's in there as you can't here the damm thing anyway.

You guys let me know what you think. I'm gonna go with three batteries. Thinking about removing the cooler since we don't use it and making a battery bank there. And would be easy to route wires to amps. This thread will be long. I'm not very organized or good at writing a good thread of a project because my adhd mind but I'm gonna try to get it all one here. Lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What amp or amps is driving the two woofers? Makes it easier to suggest a single 12" that would actually be an upgrade.

Comment

Quick look at the woofers. Both are IB models, just difference generations. If you retain them, they will perform good on their own 600W rms mono amp.

The issue with that fill range coax above the woofers is that the woofers are killing it. because they all share the same space, the mx650 mid-bass is rendered useless by the woofers. relocating it or isolating will make a huge difference.

I would also consider moving the tower pods from the forward hoop to the aft hoop. I know this may interfere with the bimini, but this results in less music reflecting down into the boat.
                          Last edited by chpthril; 02-05-2016, 02:36 AM.

Comment

Amp help. JL audio 6ch

Everything is un hooked. I'm starting from scratch and trying to keep any parts I can and get a good sound. I will look at moving the tower speakers.

If I pull the 6.5" will I have to put the Subs in a new enclosure? I assume so. So if I'm gonna do all that plus have to buy a mono amp might as well drop the extra money into a 12" or 15" sub?

Last edited by DirtNasty; 02-05-2016, 02:59 AM.

Comment

Oh and the towers can't be moved. Already tried that. These won't work with Bimini if I ever up grade to a better tower speaker I will get one with single clamp that will work with the bimini

Comment

Working...
                              X