Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guns

So, I am going to go ahead and take the Texas conceal and carry license class later this month. Don't think I will really carry but it is a good way to practice gun safety. Anyway I am in the market for a home defensive handgun good for both myself and the wife. I was torn between the glock 9mm and the S&W SIGMA 9mm... that is until I just got back from academy and saw the S&W on sale for $299 plus a $50 factory rebate.

So my question is .. anyone have any opinions on either handgun? I know the SIGMAS had some issues when they first came out but their reviews on the new models are great for reliability, accuracy and feel. Most ppl like the Glock and it is reflected in its high price.

Both are good guns. I prefer the Sigma. It fits in my hand better, and I've never been a fan of glocks. I've owned both in the past and never had any reliablily issues with either. So the Sigma is a good choice. Why did you go with 9mm? Just curious.
    "I want to know God's thoughts, the rest are just details"

Comment

For home defense? Forget the handguns. Go get a pistol grip 12 gauge pump. The ammo is cheap, easy to find and I PROMISE you will not miss.

Comment

I have a Taurus PT145, a 10 round compact .45. It handles great, is very reliable and has been accurate. This weapon does not have a very high felt recoil, so even small hands can use it comfortably.

Comment

Originally posted by capitalgain View Post
          For home defense? Forget the handguns. Go get a pistol grip 12 gauge pump. The ammo is cheap, easy to find and I PROMISE you will not miss.
          X2 on the shotgun. Prolly won't have to even fire it. The sound of a shotgun racking a shell into the chamber is completely frightening!

And really for home defense handgun I prefer a wheelgun (revolver) in 38. No need to think about stuff when under stress, aim and pull.

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun View Post
            X2 on the shotgun. Prolly won't have to even fire it. The sound of a shotgun racking a shell into the chamber is completely frightening!

And really for home defense handgun I prefer a wheelgun (revolver) in 38. No need to think about stuff when under stress, aim and pull.
            I think S & W manufacture a line of revolvers that are made for concealed carry, they market them as Airlite. Very light, and they come in various calibers, .38, .357 magnum, etc. And some are double action only with no exposed hammer to get caught in a pocket or purse when pulled (or get gunked up in a glovebox over time).

Comment

I agree with the shootgun for the home i have 3 in various locations in my house. For heavy defense I have 2 AK47s with over 3000 rounds. For concealed out of home I am a big fan of th 10mm or 40 cal. I have many government contracts so I never carry anymore, but being 6 foot 1 and 275lbs i never have any trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by RockRig View Post
                I think S & W manufacture a line of revolvers that are made for concealed carry, they market them as Airlite. Very light, and they come in various calibers, .38, .357 magnum, etc. And some are double action only with no exposed hammer to get caught in a pocket or purse when pulled (or get gunked up in a glovebox over time).
                There are several brands of hamerless revolver. Taurus has a nice one too.

Goose I laughed at the "heavy home defense" line. Expecting a zombie attack?

I'd like to have an ak though, seems like a blast to shoot.

Comment

Short barrel AR15

Comment

good lord, please warn me if i ever start to upset any of you! I have a H&K 9MM that shoots very well and 3 12 gauge shotguns also but alas I keep all 3 in the same location. I also love the sound of a cycling 12 gauge
                    "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Iwndr View Post
                      good lord, please warn me if i ever start to upset any of you! I have a H&K 9MM that shoots very well and 3 12 gauge shotguns also but alas I keep all 3 in the same location. I also love the sound of a cycling 12 gauge
                      In my neck of the woods owning firearms is almost manditory, not by necessity, but tradition.

I have 3 shottys, two deer rifles, & 4 .22 rifles in my current arsenal. But I've had 15 or do different guns at one time. I'm always changing up what I have. My current ones are kinda my keepers as I've scaled down to what I really "need". I sold my last handgun about 6 months ago, and I'm still kinda deciding what my next one will be. Probably a Kimber 1911 style .45. I want to get my CCP and if I do, I'll add a lightweight revolver to that list as my concealable gun.

My favorite gun for just fun shooting has been a tricked out AR-15, it was a blast to go plinking with.

Comment

Originally posted by Tequilasun View Post
                        There are several brands of hamerless revolver. Taurus has a nice one too.

Goose I laughed at the "heavy home defense" line. Expecting a zombie attack?

I'd like to have an ak though, seems like a blast to shoot.
                        Ak47 ammo is high so i don't shoot it much. My new favorite pistol is the JUDGE. I bought 3 of them, 2 nickel, and one black. A blast to shoot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4H5GepjBRsM
                        Last edited by goose69; 03-02-2010, 11:49 AM.

Comment

I've never known anyone who bought firearms in bulk. Awesome...

Comment

X2 on the shotgun for home defense. My father-in-law works with the state police. He has lots of handguns, but he (and the police) still recommend a pistol grip 12 gauge for home self defense.

If you simply want a handgun for self defense you want something with stopping power. A 9mm is not what you want. I second the idea of a 40 cal., a 10mm or a 45 cal. Personally I shoot a 45 and love it...and it has great stopping power. I had a 10mm and hated it. If a 45 is too much at least go with a 40. My father-in-law has too many bad stories about 9mm's and bad guys still coming at officers. That's why the police switched to 40's in our area.

Comment

9mm's won't take down someone on crack/speed/meth, etc. .40 might, but a .45 or 10mm will for sure.

but like others have said the 12 gauge is the best. I used to have a sig and loved it!
                              Originally posted by G-MONEY
                              It hurts me to say it but go OU but only for this weekend!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X