Fuel filter, water separator help!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel filter, water separator help!!!

I have a 2006 22ve with a mercury marine 340 hp with MPI and cannot locate fuel filter and fuel/water separator. I see a small electric pump- where most mechanical pumps are located- front of eng. on lower right. above this there is also a device that has fuel lines going into it - the bottom is canister shaped with 2 more lines running into the bottom of it.I have seen no place where there is a screw on water separator. Please help!!

I would also like to know where to find a manual for this engine- its a 2006 MPI 340 hp V-drive

i think you mean you have a marine power 340hp 5.7.this is the high pressure fuel pump and i drew a line across were it splits to gain access to your filter.the bottom part spins off.sometimes they a very tight and you may need to remove pump to get it off.
    Attached Files

Comment

Welcome to the Tige forum. If it's an 06Ve, it's probably a Marine Power 340hp, not a Merc. The filter/water sep canister is located on the front/port side (easier then trying to figure left/right ) and has a fuel line in and out as well as a couple of water cooler hoses. The bottom of the canister unscrews to gain access to the filter. You will need some rags and a catch pan. It's tight as a tick as well, learned that from KKO thanks!

*EDIT* Well speak of the devil, it's KKO
      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

yes, sorry, meant marine power 340hp. and yes have located this.

Is this the only fuel filter or fuel/water separator ??

Comment

Yep, thats it!
          Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by sarmstrong View Post
            yes, sorry, meant marine power 340hp. and yes have located this.

Is this the only fuel filter or fuel/water separator ??
            yes sir!

Comment

Hehehe, have fun twisting it off too. I swore like I never have getting that stupid thing off. I used a strap oil filter wrench that I got at napa for about $10. That is what KKO said he uses and it worked, just took some time and patience. Make sure you get the new o-ring too because mine got chewed up twisting off the canister.

Comment

How often should this filter be changed?

Comment

I change mine once a year but I also run the boat about 150 hours per year in salt water, and our humidity is pretty high so I feel that I run more chance of having water in the gas. I would think once a year would be a good idea. In colder climates you run more of a risk of moisture condensing in the gas tank if not kept full.

Comment

Hi, I havent changed mine yet and Have a 2008 22Ve but we've got 400 hours on it!!
                    Does the filter simply need a clean rinse or do you replace the filter?
                    Also, mtnsmith, Have you got any special recommendations for running in salt water?
                    We've been having some problems with the engine mounts rusting really badly, the chrome finish on the dials are coming off and also the tower speaker clamps are pitting.
                    No matter how much fresh water you put on these things and dry off, it still happens.

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by Ruds View Post
                      Hi, I havent changed mine yet and Have a 2008 22Ve but we've got 400 hours on it!!
                      Does the filter simply need a clean rinse or do you replace the filter?
                      Also, mtnsmith, Have you got any special recommendations for running in salt water?
                      We've been having some problems with the engine mounts rusting really badly, the chrome finish on the dials are coming off and also the tower speaker clamps are pitting.
                      No matter how much fresh water you put on these things and dry off, it still happens.

Cheers
                      yes if you have 400hrs. i would CHANGE IT.
                      they have a new style speaker clamp to fix this problem. i have also had to change a couple of gauge rings for the same problem you are having(not sure of any changes in these rings).on the mounts we use CRC heavy duty corrosion spray.It works well apply it atleast every oil change.

Comment

Originally posted by Waterski-Rebel View Post
                        How often should this filter be changed?
                        It will vary some but IMPO 2yrs./200-250hrs. I have seen them with 200 hrs. that look like new and have seen them at a 100 where a boat would not run. Lots of factors that play into this so if you check it at 200 and it looks new goto 250 maybe 300.but if you pull it at 200 and its all brown and crapy and has water in it you should change more often. I always dump the fuel out of the filter housing into a glass jar so i can see what comes out/it also allows me to show a customer what is going on with their boat.
                        On a side note i changed the filter on my 05 F150 110,000 on engine last filter change was at 55k.OMG frickin mud came out.
                        To me its pretty cheap/easy and can save you some major headaches and money down the road.

Comment

F150

KKO - Funny you should mention your F150 because I had an 04 F150 that I started carrying an extra filter for because I had to change the frickin thing so much! Gotta love those Fords - at least they're not the ones who keep asking for more money from the govt!

Comment

Just wondering, how do the filters work? I know it is probably wrong, but it seems like you could just dump the bad stuff out and use it again.

Comment

Originally posted by bagzzz View Post
                              Just wondering, how do the filters work? I know it is probably wrong, but it seems like you could just dump the bad stuff out and use it again.
                              I dont think it is worth it they are not that expensive.plus they are a fine paper material and will trap the dirt and debris.Dont get me wrong in a pinch you could do it.Another thing is the O-ring always (ok most of time)get messed up and you cant buy that seperate so just buy a new filter w/oring every couple hunred hrs or so and be done with it.
                              you just dont clean your oil filter when you change your oil do you?

Comment

Working...
                              X