Upgraded our Tow/Travel Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnnieMo View Post
    A diesel is more costly to buy, more costly to service, and more costly to operate. However they do last a lot longer, and deliver ungodly amounts of power. When people say "I didn't even know the trailer was back there" they truly mean it. Obviously the steering and braking is affected, but for power, the turbo just keeps adding more and more power when you hit hills or want to accelerate. The performance pretty much just stays the same. You really don't notice the trailer..... until you refuel.

With that being said, the cost really doesn't pay off. Not all of us are pulling 20 horses to to Kentucky Downs each week. I wish GM would bring back the plans for the 4.5L diesel. 800ft-lbs of torque (and the related heavy duty everything) just isn't practical for city living. We just need a bit more grunt to pull our toys on the weekends while still dropping the kids at school during the week. For me, I just supercharged the gas engine and am hoping for the best.
    That's what is was thinking too.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
      The sequoia and tundra with the 5.7l V8, 381hp, more than enough power to tow the Z3. One thing to consider when comparing the tow ratings is that Toyota has adopted SAE J2807. You can read about it in the link below but it uses real world tests to determine a usable tow rating that can be accurately compared against all manufacturers. Currently the sequoia is rated for 7,200 lbs, it was previously rated for 9,000 plus before the new standard was adopted. No other manufacturers have adopted the standard so the 10,000 lb rating for some 1/2 ton pickups is not accurate and can't be compared to Toyota or to the other 1/2 tons either. I know I can safely tow 7,200 lbs with the sequoia because its been tested in real conditions. BTW, with a full tank of gas, full cooler of ice drinks and food, all the boards and gear for a day my boat and trailer weigh 6,400 lbs on a certified scale. Here is a story on the new standard:

http://m.automobilemag.com/features/...t/viewall.html
      I heard about the new standard when we looked at the Toyotas. It's interesting that the other manufacturers apparently backed down from going by the new standard when Toyota revealed their ratings under the new standard. Makes me think the others would be lower than Toyota and they don't want to show it, so they are dragging their feet.

Comment

Originally posted by zroutt View Post
        Av8tor, so far I wouldn't say the service is more expensive. Change the oil roughly at 8k miles. Oil change and tire rotation at my dealer, $50. We tow our boat 3-5 times a week 20-30 miles and some serious hills. Same mileage all day long. 13-15mpg.
        That's not too bad. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Originally posted by Av8tor View Post
          I heard about the new standard when we looked at the Toyotas. It's interesting that the other manufacturers apparently backed down from going by the new standard when Toyota revealed their ratings under the new standard. Makes me think the others would be lower than Toyota and they don't want to show it, so they are dragging their feet.
          The new standard has been published since roughly 2009 and I believe it was agreed upon in 2011. I don't think the big 3 are worried about beating toyota in the ratings. They all know the test procedure and I'm sure they have purchased their competitions vehicles and run them against their own, so they know where each other stand. I think they are affraid of the new standard because it takes away power from the marketing department and presents facts to the consumer for real data comparison. I think the big 3 are working on new trucks to get their tow ratings back to what they claim to be on the current models, no one wants the tow ratings to drop due to the new standard, it shows that they've been fudging the numbers for years, just to claim "best in class towing" whenever a new model or engine is released. I bet they find a way to keep stalling on the new standard and wait for the buzz to die out or they are scrambling to get something to market that can meet the new standard without a drop in towing capacity and they will just be very quiet about it. I think Toyota has a golden marketing oportunity here to show the world what they can tow and make valid claims that no one really knows what their competition can do, so is it really safe to tow your 10,000 horse trailer with a Ford or Chevy or Dodge?
          2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
          2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

My truck

Comment

I love my Diesel for towing I don't even notice the boat/trailer. My tow vehicle 2006 Dodge Mega cab 2500.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by Ewok View Post
                The new standard has been published since roughly 2009 and I believe it was agreed upon in 2011. I don't think the big 3 are worried about beating toyota in the ratings.
                The Toyota Tundra is like a gnat to the big 3. Ford is coming up on 500,000 units for the year and Toyota is still under 75,000.
                http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/09...gust-2013.html

Comment

Originally posted by Timmy! View Post
                  The Toyota Tundra is like a gnat to the big 3. Ford is coming up on 500,000 units for the year and Toyota is still under 75,000.
                  http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2013/09...gust-2013.html
                  FWIW: Toyota's global sales are more important to them than USA sales, and their still the leader in that area.

What's new??? As I drive away from the city into rural areas I see 99% american brands and LOTS of trucks. My neighbor is a store owner who drives 50 miles outside the city to his store, he is a hard core Dodge fan and bought a new 2500 Diesel(it's his 3rd one) and is pissed because he get's a whopping 12mpg 90% HIGHWAY driving. Does he need a diesel to drive to work and throw some groceries in the back?? NO!! But he's just chomping at the bit to be driving a truck when he'd be better off in a Honda Civic. That's how marketing works, it gets people to buy things they don't need.

Compare a 2013 1/2 ton to a 3/4 ton from few years back and you'll see that the half tons drive trains and frames, brakes etc, have been beefed up to what the older 3/4 tons were. So..... your in a half ton with 3/4 ton components and twice the power of an older 3/4 ton now......if the older 3/4 tons with half the power were able to tow 15k loads then why can't the newer more advanced 1/2 tons do it just as well??? just my 2 cents.

It's all about marketing and perception, and honestly the sentiment towards foreign made vehicles hasn't changed that much in the last 40 years. There is a large part of the population that would never buy a Toyota or Nissan simply because it's Japanese. I drive a Titan and you wouldn't believe how many times people ask if my truck is a chevy or ford because they didn't even know Nissan made a 1/2 ton. I have been in construction long enough to see this played out every day and I've lived in the mountains of Montana, Alaska, and Northern Cali, areas where your "model americans" live and buy "american"(Target market). There is sort of this machismo thing equated with owning brand x, and frankly the bigger the better is the name of the game. Besides, every construction worker feels obligated to drive a truck when they have work vehicles supplied to them for "work purposes" when their truck is just a pavement queen/grocery getter! Every truck made in the last two years have more similarities than differences, so at the end of the day who cares what you drive really. Whatever suits your needs. If your truck shopping and you don't even consider anything besides brand x, it's because you've bought into the marketing hype. Be informed.

To quote Shelby the racing legend," Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races!"

Peace and I'm out
                  Last edited by McSpoon; 10-17-2013, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Here is my tow rig and new ish boat to me. I need better pics and also need to change out the wheels on the trailer!

Comment

Brand new 2014 Toyota Tundra 5.7l v8 4x4 with off road pkg

1truck.JPG2truck.JPG3truck.JPGtruck.JPG

Comment

Comment

IMG_0640(1).jpg
                          Boating Lake Mead since 2000

Comment

2004 ram 3500 4wd 6 spd cummins dually. I was 70' bumper to bumper in this set up grossing 24,500 lbs getting 16 mpg at 65 mph

2001 Tige 21V Fresh Air Exhaust, ballast, loud stereo, blue v drive, ACME 1235 prop Kneeboarding, Surfing, and having fun!

Comment

Tahoe Z71 with Z1

image.jpg

Comment

Here's my upgrade I've always had diesels so I went from a 2004.5 dmax to a 2014 dmax
                                surf till u die.

Comment

Working...
                                X