Upgraded our Tow/Travel Vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgraded our Tow/Travel Vehicle

We made the jump from a V6 to a diesel this weekend. Here is the wife driving her new truck off the lot. She absolutely fell in love with it after our 2 hour drive home.

That is a hell of an upgrade!!!!

Comment

That's going to tow a lot different than your v6 did.

Comment

definitely keep an eye on your speed towing the boat. Its very easy to forget about the boat and drive 75-80 with a diesel. Also, on peak summer days, Highway patrol is ver strict on the 40 freeway out go Havasu. I got pulled over for speeding doing 65mph.

Comment

I'm really excited to go tow something with it. We've been waiting for the right Duramax to show up (the LBZ motor stock and well taken care of) But we usually keep our boat in the water, so weekends she won't be used to haul. We will primarily be using it for a cab over camper, and taking our boat, dirt bikes, or snow skis to new places. And thanks for the heads up with the speed, I usually try to keep it below 5 mph above the speed limit.

Comment

Good choice!! It's a very reliable power train, unlike Ford that changes their design every 4 years.

Comment

Nice!

My Brother in law has the twin to that truck. He'd pull my sailboat down the freeway at 65 and barely know it there.

My sailboat weighed 8000# with the trailer, 27'8" long 9' wide, and 13'6" tall when loaded.
              The luck is gone, the brain is shot, but the liquor we still got.

Comment

LBZ, the best Duramax money can buy! I have an 06 LBZ with a PPE tuner -190hp tune- (the best plug-and-play for a duramx), Magnaflow, crank case reroute, PPE air cleaner mod, PPE fuel rail fitting, and a PPE fuel rail pop-off plug. It runs good, but the transmission can not hold the added power. A shift kit is my next upgrade, and i hope it helps the "getting lost between gears" when on the gas hard.
                Nice truck!

Comment

for the money EFI live is your best bang =)
                  www.1320diesel.com Home of the Fastest Diesels!
                  http://youtu.be/dEDdM0Y3IGs?hd=1

Comment

That is a nice looking truck at the top of this posting...congratulations...and drive safely.

I have to admit I enjoy the towing/launching almost as much as the boating itself. I am a Ford guy (work for Ford corporate) and have towed with a variety of F-Series Trucks since getting my 22Ve last year.

I have had some experience towing with our trucks and know quite a bit about their capability...especially the F-150's 3.5 EcoBoost. It is a very good towing motor...In fact, I will be towing my 22Ve this summer with a 2013 F-150 Platinum equipped with the 3.5L. I have also had some time towing my boat with the 6.2L in a Harley Truck. It was not the best towing spec due to the Harley gearing and wheel size...but it did look really great. The Harley option has been eliminated.
                    The 6.7L Diesel is really amazing. "Nobody", in the posting above, isn't far wrong about the struggles we had with diesels as we changed them to meet the ever-changing govt emission requirements...but I think any owner of a 6.7L Diesel (all Ford design and build) would say they are awesome and they have been out for a couple years so the proof is there. Quiet, powerful, reliable, and efficient. A very good towing motor in a very good towing truck.

Below are 3 pictures of my tow vehicles from last summer. If anyone has a Ford truck question, don't hesitate to shoot your question over to me. I'll do my best to help you out. I know there are some very experienced "towers" on this board who know more than I do, but I will do my best to answer any questions for my Tige friends. I will not disrespect GM or Dodge and I would appreciate the same from the other side of the discussion.

IMG_0335.jpg

IMG_0484.jpg

IMG_0606 - Copy.jpg
                    Last edited by Shuswap Surfer; 04-07-2013, 04:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Shuswap Surfer View Post
                      That is a nice looking truck at the top of this posting...

I have to admit I enjoy the towing/launching almost as much as the boating itself. I am a Ford guy (work for Ford corporate) and have towed with a variety of F-Series Trucks since getting my 22Ve last year.

I have had some experience towing with our trucks and know quite a bit about their capability...especially the F-150's 3.5 EcoBoost. It is a very good towing motor...In fact, I will be towing my 22Ve this summer with a 2013 F-150 Platinum equipped with the 3.5L. I have also had some time towing my boat with the 6.2L in a Harley Truck. It was not so great due to the Harley gearing and wheel size...but the Harley option is gone now anyway. The 6.7L Diesel is amazing. "Nobody", in the posting above, isn't far wrong about the struggles we had with diesels as we changed them to meet the ever-changing govt emission requirements...but I think any owner of a 6.7L Diesel (all Ford design and build) would say they are awesome. Quiet, powerful, reliable, and efficient. A very good towing motor in a very good towing truck.

Below are 3 pictures of my tow vehicles last summer. If anyone has a Ford truck question, don't hesitate to shoot your question over to me. I'll do my best to help you out. I'm know there are some very experienced towers on this board who know more than I do, but I will do my best to answer any questions. I will not disrespect GM or Dodge and I would appreciate the same from the other side of the discussion.

[ATTACH]33791[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33792[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]33793[/ATTACH]
                      Nice trucks I just switched from s Silverado to a F150, I haven't towed with it yet.

Comment

Thanks for buying a new Ford. I see you have the 3.5L EcoBoost engine. Please let us know how she tows.
                        Last edited by Shuswap Surfer; 04-07-2013, 04:05 AM.

Comment

Sorry to Hijack, Those are Very Nice Trucks Shuswap Your boost looks Familar

We use the Boost for the Camper when we bring it and our 2010 Supercrew for the Zee
                          Attached Files
                          "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Originally posted by Joeprunc View Post
                            We made the jump from a V6 to a diesel this weekend. Here is the wife driving her new truck off the lot. She absolutely fell in love with it after our 2 hour drive home.
                            Very Nice Joe you are going to love it!!!!
                            "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail" John Wooden- Rest in Peace

Comment

Shuswap, when is Ford going to drop an Ecoboost in an expedition, I've been wanting to order one since 2011. As soon as I can get one it's on order. Any hints?
                              2009 RZ2, PCM 343, MLA Surf Ballast, Premium Sound.
                              2013 Toyota Sequoia 4WD W/Timbren SES

Comment

Working...
                              X