Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

18 R23 surf setup changes...what happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It should be easy to see if your unused surf tab is all the way out of the water, while surfing. It's right in front of you. I have a different boat, but I can clearly see that my unused tab is all the way out of the water. It's close, maybe an inch or so out of the water, but I can see the water flowing off the back corner of the boat, under the surf tab and then into the wave.

Comment

Originally posted by UNSTUCK View Post
      It should be easy to see if your unused surf tab is all the way out of the water, while surfing. It's right in front of you. I have a different boat, but I can clearly see that my unused tab is all the way out of the water. It's close, maybe an inch or so out of the water, but I can see the water flowing off the back corner of the boat, under the surf tab and then into the wave.
      Excellent point, I’ll get back there a take a look. I haven’t been on a board back there while it was washed out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

18 R23 surf setup changes...what happened?

Well went and did the test today. NOT good. I could get the regular side OK to surf but goofy, crap! To get anything to resemble the wave I had at demo was not in the cards. I even had 8 peeps in the boat and 500lbs of lead. The only settings that were close were 3/2 taps3 and taps. I’m going to need help. Bummed [emoji853]

Update. So I think I didn’t have enough bow weight. I talked to my dealer and I need to go back to the drawing board and follow my instincts and not rely on others settings.

Last edited by wired1236; 06-02-2019, 04:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by wired1236 View Post
          Well went and did the test today. NOT good. I could get the regular side OK to surf but goofy, crap! To get anything to resemble the wave I had at demo was not in the cards. I even had 8 peeps in the boat and 500lbs of lead. The only settings that were close were 3/2 taps3 and taps. I’m going to need help. Bummed [emoji853]

Update. So I think I didn’t have enough bow weight. I talked to my dealer and I need to go back to the drawing board and follow my instincts and not rely on others settings.

more and more evidence pointing to not enough bow weight, leading to different running attitude (pitch, roll), as the issue. i can get a wave by doing weighting the bow so it runs at about a 6 degree pitch. but this wave is just not as good as it was, and certainly can't match the killer settings posted by @elevatedconcepts a couple years back regarding this hull. more field testing coming next week with film to accompany. going to science the S out of this.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

500lbs of lead is not enough. Trust me. You can do all the testing you want with bow weight, pitch, roll, etc. You need a minimum of 1000k in lead (or people). I am not taking credit for any of this - this was all the work elevatedconcepts and thegerman put into the testing. Why many are not just taking their settings and running with their recommendations is beyond me. I have tried to surf with just 600 in lead. Possible - absolutely. Best she can do? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Get the lead, THEN move on to adjusting bow weight, pitch, roll, etc. You will save yourself a lot of time and effort.

Comment

d&p - elevated/the German's Z3 setup is exactly what i ran last year and no longer works after taps 3 changes. Running 900# lead +full water ballast + however many ppl (anywhere from 300 to 1000) and the wave was epic.

this year, so far, i can run same amt of weight but if i put all the lead aft like last year then wave is all wash.

Comment

Were you watching your pitch and roll as well? If pitch and roll were set up at 9.5 - 5 (or close to that), and the weight was all similar, then I think as the previous posts indicate - it sounds like an actuator issue. Can you get your dealer out with you?

Comment

Originally posted by D&P Powell View Post
                  Were you watching your pitch and roll as well? If pitch and roll were set up at 9.5 - 5 (or close to that), and the weight was all similar, then I think as the previous posts indicate - it sounds like an actuator issue. Can you get your dealer out with you?
                  yes, pitch last year was ~9, roll 4-5.

this year anything pitched above 6° and wave washes out. roll about the same as last year.

actuator does appear to be working b/c taps 3 does engage and i can get a wave when i change weight distribution, but regardless im going to take it to dlr next week since im up for 150hr service anyways. next weekend i am going to run a few more tests and take some video evidence.

Comment

This is the weirdest thing. The tabs don't care how they are pushed down. They just need to be pushed down to a certain spot. Nothing else changed. Had they removed the tab and mounted it in a different spot or angle that would totally make sense. If your magic number was 4-5 of roll last year and you can get to 6 now you should be fine. There must be something else that is different this year vs last year. Did your lake drop to 5 feet deep? Was it a full moon? Maybe the tides are off....

Comment

i think the earlier comment about the surf-side plate dragging when pitched over a certain angle could be a possible culprit. we surf a really deep lake (60'+), so depth ain't it. I'm at a loss as well. I've let dealer know and their setup guy is going to troubleshoot also.

Comment

It sounds like you've done everything you can. Please let us all know how this all pans out.

Comment

500lbs of lead is not enough. Trust me. You can do all the testing you want with bow weight, pitch, roll, etc. You need a minimum of 1000k in lead (or people). I am not taking credit for any of this - this was all the work elevatedconcepts and thegerman put into the testing. Why many are not just taking their settings and running with their recommendations is beyond me. I have tried to surf with just 600 in lead. Possible - absolutely. Best she can do? NOT EVEN CLOSE. Get the lead, THEN move on to adjusting bow weight, pitch, roll, etc. You will save yourself a lot of time and effort.
                          D&P Powell, so 1000lbs of people/lead + 3000lbs of water ballast right?

Comment

Yes, minimum of 1000 of people/lead + full water ballast. We had 4 adults in the boat and 1300 lead over Memorial Day. Engine handled it like a champ, but I will admit... 1300 and 4 adults had us pretty close to the rub rail. We surfed in a cove and immediately emptied all the water ballast. Having that much weight on the busy part of the lake or on a rough water day would have been pushing it in my opinion. I will never again worry about the motor (400) or prop (ACME 2419) handling that much weight though.

Comment

Yes, minimum of 1000 of people/lead + full water ballast. We had 4 adults in the boat and 1300 lead over Memorial Day. Engine handled it like a champ, but I will admit... 1300 and 4 adults had us pretty close to the rub rail. We surfed in a cove and immediately emptied all the water ballast. Having that much weight on the busy part of the lake or on a rough water day would have been pushing it in my opinion. I will never again worry about the motor (400) or prop (ACME 2419) handling that much weight though.
                              So you have the L shape bags in the rear lockers?

Comment

Yes sir.

Comment

Working...
                                X