Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

18 R23 surf setup changes...what happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

18 R23 surf setup changes...what happened?

hey all, this past weekend was our first surf session out after the winter and first time using the new taps ram placement since last year. im not sure why or how this would happen, but the setup this time was completely different, and wave was not as monster. So, let me 'splain.

Last year we set up full rear ballast +900# lead, all the back (600# under the bags, 180# in the rear activity lockers, and 120# on the engine cover). front bags would be set about 85/50, listed to surf side. Surf setting at 4, taps from 3-6, depending on rider, speed 10.8-11. This setup created an ideal list & bow rise according to Elevated's settings on an older ('17?) Z3. it's the same hull, and it worked like a charm. this setup created a massive, long, pushy, and lippy wave. we loved it, Malibu fanboys loved it, just an awesome wave. So, this first time out, i figured I'll set up the same way, leave a few lead bags out where i can move them around and tweak the wave knowing that ram position had changed. Ruh roh. no joy. Set up the same as last year, the wave was all wash. Ok, i thought, let me start tweaking settings. Surf, taps, speed. multiple combinations of change? nada. Finally we said, ok, let's add some weight up front. a little? nope. a lot. long story short, we had to put 180# of people, filled front bags, and moved another 300# of lead just in front of the cooler to clean up the wave. also was running surf at 5, taps higher (5-6). even then it just wasn't the same wave we had last year. wave was shorter, not as "beefy" (if that makes sense). Boat did not have nearly the degree of bow rise that we ran with last year's setup. Last year basically if i was sitting on the driver's bolster seat the bow was at the horizon when surfing, this setup much lower. this year the a$$ end not nearly as deep as we ran her last year. rpms were about the same, maybe a bit lower (~3100-3200), with acme 2419 prop and raptor 400. Don't get me wrong, still a good wave. but last year turned me into a wave snob.

so... wanting to leverage the awesome knowledge on this forum to see if anyone's had the same experience, and what you've changed. At this point my thought is to get more lead so i can still sink the transom but also have enough weight in the front to create the killer wave we had last year with the new taps setup. im going to keep tweaking, but looking for ideas if anyone's already seen this.

Or, get the new zx3 when it comes out...lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Water depth the same as last year?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

yes. very deep water. (60+ feet)

Comment

First thing to check is the mounts at the plate. They have tiny little arrows and the word "AFT" lasered into them. Those are supposed to be pointed away from the transom. If they are pointing at the transom unbolt and rotate the mount 180*.

Only guessing this because Tige just sent out an email with pics showing that if that mount bracket is backwards the wave is all wash, and that is a complaint of yours. The attached pic is a "wave" with the brackets backwards. If your wave looked like this then I'm guessing it's a quick and easy answer
        Attached Files
        Last edited by freeheel4life; 05-16-2019, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
          First thing to check is the mounts at the plate. They have tiny little arrows and the word "AFT" lasered into them. Those are supposed to be pointed away from the transom. If they are pointing at the transom unbolt and rotate the mount 180*.

Only guessing this because Tige just sent out an email with pics showing that if that mount bracket is backwards the wave is all wash, and that is a complaint of yours. The attached pic is a "wave" with the brackets backwards. If your wave looked like this then I'm guessing it's a quick and easy answer
          ^^^ that pic looks like the wave. will check this! thanks freeheel!

Comment

also, freeheel, can you explain a little more what you mean by pointed away from the transom? having trouble visualizing this, since brackets are mounted directly on the transom.

Comment

The bracket on the plate. Where the "piston" end of actuator mounts. I can take a pic at work today. Just about to leave the house.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                The bracket on the plate. Where the "piston" end of actuator mounts. I can take a pic at work today. Just about to leave the house.
                sweet, thanks man!

Comment

Hopefully this is your issue. If not....

It's hard to get a pic of it but its has "AFT" and an arrow lasers onto it. The arrow points away from the transom. If your boats not near tools bring 1/2" wrenches and sockets.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by freeheel4life; 05-16-2019, 03:06 PM.

Comment

awesome, that makes sense. I'll make changes and report back findings!

Comment

Is the one in the picture correct or backwards?

Comment

That is the correct orientation.

Comment

Also I got warned to be sure to check the actuator for water penetration per the instructions even though I have only 5 hrs on mine. A little water in the actuator can throw your plate setting off. The old bracket location put many times the rated load on them causing the seal to leak.

Comment

^^Yup. And just to throw one more to keep an eye out for(and because my poop stinks too), it's possible as the drill bit comes thru the transom to poke the drain hose on the port side. Havent had a comeback for the brackets the wrong way but have had 2 for complaints of drain issues. Got in and found this....Both hoses that got poked were (of course) behind the batteries.
                            Attached Files

Comment

[emoji30]

Comment

Working...
                              X