Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

18 R23 surf setup changes...what happened?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by wired1236 View Post
    [emoji30]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yup. Love creating my own problems.

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
      ^^Yup. And just to throw one more to keep an eye out for(and because my poop stinks too), it's possible as the drill bit comes thru the transom to poke the drain hose on the port side. Havent had a comeback for the brackets the wrong way but have had 2 for complaints of drain issues. Got in and found this....Both hoses that got poked were (of course) behind the batteries.
      I was going to mention this if the bracket didn't solve the issue. Of course the drill happy mechanic would have remained anonymous. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by Sublimer23 View Post
        I was going to mention this if the bracket didn't solve the issue. Of course the drill happy mechanic would have remained anonymous. Haha
        Thanks for the anonymity, but I dont mind owning my mistakes. Its how we learn!!

Comment

I just spent all day on and off the lake, in and out of the dealership all to find out that the dealer had installed the top brackets for the surf plates backwards. They also do not use proper or enough sealant and I was leaking probably 4 gallons an hour into the bilge.

Comment

Originally posted by cnote View Post
            awesome, that makes sense. I'll make changes and report back findings!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
            Did you get yours fixed yet? Eagle Marine is your dealer right?

Comment

yes, Bamer, eagle marine. it was done over the winter. I keep the boat stored at PK so will be out next week to check and fix, if needed. hope the bracket reversed is the fix and it's simple

Comment

I believe you have the same color scheme as mine right ...blue n silver? They installed the update in early December and I believe you saw my boat there.

They fixed it in about an hour or so.

The top brackets were preventing the plates from being stowed up high enough which caused the plates to always be in the water. It actually made the steering to have strange behaviors too

Comment

Originally posted by freeheel4life View Post
                  That is the correct orientation.
                  Freeheel4life,

What sealant did tige call out to be used with the updated brackets?

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                    Freeheel4life,

What sealant did tige call out to be used with the updated brackets?

I'd have to dig up the instructions off the dealer website. Ive been using white 4200 for most installs(in case the brackets ever need to come off). If its black gelcoat I've been using Boat Life black. Dont ask me why but black 4200 and 5200 is always too darn runny for my liking and it takes forever to cure.

Comment

I use the boat life white. Skins over in a few hours and has some good body to it and does not run off of a vertical surface.

I rarely have the need for a permanent like 5200.
                      Mikes Liquid Audio: Knowledge Experience Customer Service you can trust-KICKER WetSounds ACME props FlyHigh Custom Ballast Clarion LiquidLumens LEDs Roswell Wave Deflector And More

Comment

Originally posted by chpthril View Post
                        I use the boat life white. Skins over in a few hours and has some good body to it and does not run off of a vertical surface.

I rarely have the need for a permanent like 5200.
                        Nice. I may have to order in some white boat life and give it a go. I only recently switched to the black because I was tired of 3m black

Comment

18 R23 surf setup changes...what happened?

yes, Bamer, eagle marine. it was done over the winter. I keep the boat stored at PK so will be out next week to check and fix, if needed. hope the bracket reversed is the fix and it's simple

Cnote , Did you get ur R23 to surf with the new brackets?

I think my plates are still not stowed up high enough because as I pitch the boat up the wave goes away completely. I did not measure the angle, but I’m not talking about a lot of pitch. Any center plate position above 5 would wash out the wake. Is this normal?

Comment

Originally posted by Bamer View Post
                            Cnote , Did you get ur R23 to surf with the new brackets?

I think my plates are still not stowed up high enough because as I pitch the boat up the wave goes away completely. I did not measure the angle, but I’m not talking about a lot of pitch. Any center plate position above 5 would wash out the wake. Is this normal?

brackets were done correctly, according to freeheel's advice. so, yes, still having same issue. i can't pitch higher than about 6 degrees (used to be 11) or wave washes out. it also seems to be a lot more finicky, any turn or side wake also washes it out. the overall effect is wave is not as tall, about same length. tried speeding up, adjusting taps, but pitch and roll were about 6/2-3 degrees respectively to have any sort of clean wave. I'm pretty disappointed right now. throwing 900# of lead plus full water ballast and about 800# of people should give me a better wave, more push, taller, etc. and last year we had it. don't get me wrong, it's not a bad wave, but right now the Malibu 23lsv i surf with dfw surf l is a better wave, hands down. last year it was 50/50. going to keep playing with it though. my next step is throw in some extra tsunami sacks to see what that gets me. i hope i can get this worked out because the wave can be better.

anyone else out there having luck?

anyone of our other tige experts offer anything here?

Comment

brackets were done correctly, according to freeheel's advice. so, yes, still having same issue. i can't pitch higher than about 6 degrees (used to be 11) or wave washes out. it also seems to be a lot more finicky, any turn or side wake also washes it out. the overall effect is wave is not as tall, about same length. tried speeding up, adjusting taps, but pitch and roll were about 6/2-3 degrees respectively to have any sort of clean wave. I'm pretty disappointed right now. throwing 900# of lead plus full water ballast and about 800# of people should give me a better wave, more push, taller, etc. and last year we had it. don't get me wrong, it's not a bad wave, but right now the Malibu 23lsv i surf with dfw surf l is a better wave, hands down. last year it was 50/50. going to keep playing with it though. my next step is throw in some extra tsunami sacks to see what that gets me. i hope i can get this worked out because the wave can be better.

anyone else out there having luck?

anyone of our other tige experts offer anything here?

Have you reached out to Colton or Darrell at eagle marine. We both should call em today to see if they have any thoughts about it.

Comment

2018 R21 that has also had the new TAPS ram reposition completed.

Previously, our normal set up was 4 and 4 on the surf and center tab and 11.6 for speed. Same set up the same as last year with ballast and lead. Wave was killer. Only difference from last year was that the port front ballast would not fill (fill pump has failed for some reason after working fine prior to storage). I was able to compensate for the lack of weight in the bow with moving some people and lead around.
                                Was out for the first time since the modification a couple days ago and I also found my previous settings were not working AT ALL.
                                Using my previous settings the wave was all washed out. Tried a bunch of different taps setting and speeds and I ended up with a 2 on surf and 1 on the center tab with 11.6 to get a descent wave, but was still thought it was not as good as last year. I thought it was mostly due to the port front ballast not being full, but maybe there is something similar going on here after the ram adjustment?
                                I haven't checked the fore/aft position of the bracket but I will check today after work to rule out that issue.
                                Boat is going to the dealer this week for the ballast pump fix and I'll see what they have to say as well...

Comment

Working...
                                X