No announcement yet.

Swimn Platform Cut down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I normally do like 80-120 grit sand paper, then teak oil and it's done.
    Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Was there a significant improvement with having a shorter deck and the angle edges vs rounded shape?

Comment

Originally posted by Majr808 View Post
        What do you guys typically use? Maybe I will have to make changes if it’s too slippery. I’ll see how it is when I get it on some water
        Here's a previous thread on teak swim decks. Teak platform and FAE refurb - TigéOwners.com (tigeowners.com) I followed nickypoos recommendations years ago and loved the results. After sanding down everything, including using a dremel between the cracks, we would teak oil, wait 24 hours for it to soak in, repeat. We ended up doing that 7 or 8 times if I remember correctly to get it to where it was in the pictures in the thread. As mentioned, once you do it right the first time, it's easy to maintain. One light sand the next year, one more coat of teak oil, and she was good to go.

Comment

Originally posted by JTFox View Post
          Was there a significant improvement with having a shorter deck and the angle edges vs rounded shape?
          The idea is to keep the deck from cutting into the wave. The 22v and 24v and ve had huge swim decks, some people raise them, but that makes getting out of the water while not filled with ballast a pain.
          Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Awesome job, dig the shape! That urethane is gonna prove to be an a** buster though, I’d remove it before someone gets hurt.
            It’s cheap enough and easy enough to strip it, sand it and apply either teak oil or Starbrite teak sealer. I prefer the Starbrite sealer because it last longer between applications and it comes in a couple different colors.
            Don’t sand the platform above 80 grit so there’s still some grip to the wood.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Jetdriver; 03-21-2021, 02:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jetdriver View Post
              Awesome job, dig the shape! That urethane is gonna prove to be an a** buster though, I’d remove it before someone gets hurt.
              It’s cheap enough and easy enough to strip it, sand it and apply either teak oil or Starbrite teak sealer. I prefer the Starbrite sealer because it last longer between applications and it comes in a couple different colors.
              Don’t sand the platform above 80 grit so there’s still some grip to the wood.
              I agree with 80grit. I use 120grit but only because I don’t have the meat left for a good grind. It’s been sanded many times. If it hasn’t been as far ground down as mine, you can’t wrong with 80 as a finish.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

HAs anyone successfully cut down the fiberglass swim deck?

Comment

There are a few of us that have but it is definitely some work here are my “after” pics from my 08 RZ4:
                  Attached Files

Comment

I narrowed it and cut about 3” off at the middle of the deck, the rounded corners took off closer to 6”- 8”

Comment

I know this is a couple year old post but, dj2 how did you seal off the edge after cutting? want to cut mine down but worried about sealing iff ad making it look good.
                      I'm pretty inexperienced with fiberglass but done some body work on cars so think I could make it happen. also is it wood inside or something composite? mines a 2007 22ve I think it would be the same

Comment

Working...
                      X