Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Swimn Platform Cut down

Hey Guys,

Took some inspiration from you guys on here and took a saw to my large wooden swim platform. It was painted burgundy before, so after cutting I sanded it down and did an outdoor clear coat.

I'm pleased with the shape and size, hopefully it doesn't cut into the surf wave as much anymore but still gives us some room to hang out back there.
    Attached Files

That looks fantastic! Bravo

Comment

Looks great! I’m totally doing this to my 03 22v. What’s the underside look like after?

Did you have to reinforce it anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Last edited by Mokihana605; 03-18-2021, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Good question. I did have to adjust the reinforcement wooden pieces on the underside slightly to fit the new shape (and so the edging all looks symmetrical). Just some simple cuts and repositioning. Also obviously had to change the placement of the large black metal bracket a little bit to fit the new shape. But all very easy stuff and if I could do it anyone could. Changed the placement of a few screws because the furthest out plank needed more support.

I can post a photo up later.

Comment

I did the same many years ago. I like your shape a little more.
          Attached Files
          Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

image_23394.jpg
            Attached Files
            Build thread: http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/showthread.php?14787-Duffy-s-2005-24v-wakesurfing-mod-thread&highlight=duffys+24v

Comment

Outdoor clear coat? What exactly did you use? That’s not generally recommended. It is usually extremely slippery when wet. Once it starts to deteriorate it looks like hell. My buddy did this on his 21v and it is diabolical to stand on. I slipped off last season and nearly smashed my head on the transom. I got away with just a bruise on my hip. Not trying to rain on your parade, just don’t want to see anybody get hurt.
              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

duffy, I used your photos as a starting point

@nicky... I really don’t know what I’m doing. This is my first boat. I definitely appreciate you bringing this up. What do you guys typically use? Maybe I will have to make changes if it’s too slippery. I’ll see how it is when I get it on some water

Comment

The previous owner of mine lacquered it and it really is slippery as hell. This is my idea though (after I reshape it now of course lol): EVA Faux Teak foam on the deck!!

Comment

Here is a photo of the bottom of the swim deck now, and this is the clear coat I used.

If it’s really slippery on water, I’ll just have to strip it all off / resend and use an oil instead.

is there an oil you guys recommend? I’m not sure what type of wood it is.

Comment

I can almost guarantee it will be slippery...but try it out first and see. Might not be all that bad. I just know mine is. Someone almost busted themselves on it already. To answer your question about wood, it’s Teak Wood. So use teak oil.

Comment

Ok thank you. How often do you reapply the teak oil?

Comment

Don’t use a urethane, for sure. You’ll regret it down the line. Use teak oil, and I’d oil it maybe beginning and end of the season kinda thing. At least a coat once a year. I’ve never had a teak swim deck, but have had to redo my friends in the past, and do plenty with wood. So twice a year may be overkill, but you’d rather oil it too often, than not enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just read that you already coated it with urethane, so oiling it now will be useless. See how it performs, and I guess strip it when you have to. You’ll probably get a few years out of it, either way, depending on it’s exposure to elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

You can spray it down with a hose and feel how slipper it is. It’s down right dangerous. Oiling it is the way to go. You do not want to over sand it either. 120 grit is borderline too fine. It’s what I use. I generally do a quick sand at the beginning of the year just to clean it up a bit and then do a good heavy oiling at least two weeks before putting it on the water. For the rest of the season, I’ll do a quick, light oil as needed but always at least the night before taking it out. You want to give it chance to soak in. Putting it on the morning you take it out can result in tracking teak oil all over your interior and a slippery platform. It’s really pretty simple once you get used to maintaining it.
                              You'll get your chance, smart guy.

Comment

Working...
                              X